DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Price of Bourne Ultimatum exclusive at Best Buy? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/519758-price-bourne-ultimatum-exclusive-best-buy.html)

davejt1 12-11-07 10:05 AM

Price of Bourne Ultimatum exclusive at Best Buy?

Just got back from Best Buy and purchased the Bourne Ultimatum steelcase. The ad says that if you use a MasterCard you get $5 off. When the clerk rang it up, a message came up on his computer screen about the offer (it said something about asking the purchaser about using his/her MasterCard to get added savings), but he quickly blew buy it and finished ringing everything up. Upon paying (with my MasterCard), I asked him why the $5 didn't come off the price, since the ad mentioned "instant savings." He made a phone call and told me that it's a deal through MasterCard - not Best Buy - and the $5 will probably come off of my credit card bill next month.

Am I going to have to go back to Best Buy and straighten this out or is this the way it is actually supposed to work?

JorgeC 12-11-07 10:28 AM

"Instant Savings" means it's in-store. Never heard of getting it back on your credit card statement. What about debit cards with a mastercard logo? I doubt my bank is going to give me back $5.

orion1998_1 12-11-07 10:33 AM

marked 24.99 "on sale" for 23.99 instant 5.00 off if you say your using master card 18.99 plus tax

davejt1 12-11-07 10:41 AM

I knew it! Argh!!!

Thanks, Jorge and orion. I guess I'll have to stop back in tonight on my way home from work.

Goldberg74 12-11-07 10:42 AM

When i bought the 2-Pack in July (with the movie ticket), they had the same promo and the $5 came off at the register.

fcb123 12-11-07 11:02 AM

i got the steelbook this morning and the $5 came off instant. when the pop up screen came up she clicked yes. which was also nice was that she gave my $5 off the Bourne HD-DVD i baught too because she thought it was for all copies.

dvdfansub 12-11-07 11:12 AM

davejt1: That cashier in BB store of yours is clueless on how to process this.. better go straighten this out and get another copy of Bourne Ultimatum with the $5 instant saving off your mastercard during check out, not after the fact.

speedy1961 12-11-07 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by davejt1
Just got back from Best Buy and purchased the Bourne Ultimatum steelcase. The ad says that if you use a MasterCard you get $5 off. When the clerk rang it up, a message came up on his computer screen about the offer (it said something about asking the purchaser about using his/her MasterCard to get added savings), but he quickly blew buy it and finished ringing everything up. Upon paying (with my MasterCard), I asked him why the $5 didn't come off the price, since the ad mentioned "instant savings." He made a phone call and told me that it's a deal through MasterCard - not Best Buy - and the $5 will probably come off of my credit card bill next month.

Am I going to have to go back to Best Buy and straighten this out or is this the way it is actually supposed to work?

You'll have to go back and argue with the ad in hand.

darmok 12-11-07 12:59 PM

ditto on this. didn't even see the $5 OFF deal in the circular until i got back to work. the $5 deal didn't ring up during checkout, so i didn't even know.

Originally Posted by davejt1
I knew it! Argh!!!

Thanks, Jorge and orion. I guess I'll have to stop back in tonight on my way home from work.

alfredog1976 12-11-07 01:10 PM

I was watching the cashier's screen the whole time...nothing came up. I told him before hand as well. Oh well, at least I was able to use the $3 off coupon for the steelbook.

Goldberg74 12-11-07 04:21 PM

I went and got the steel book edition this afternoon, and the clerk said that it was for the RewardZoneŽ MasterCard only.

I asked him to read the ad to me, and he pointed out the "RewardZoneŽ MasterCard", and I asked him to keep reading...

"RewardZoneŽ MasterCard OR MasterCard."

"And what kind of card it this that I'm holding?"

He said, "oh, sorry, you do get the discount."

And then he rang me up.

Dim whit.

Kory 12-11-07 04:51 PM

Hopefully this will work for me. My debit card is a MasterCard. That should count, right?

TheHypnoToad 12-11-07 04:58 PM

Had the same experience with the cashier dismissing the on-screeen message even though I told him that I would be paying with MasterCard. Had to walk it over to the customer service and have them take the $5 off. With the waiting in line I kept wondering to myself if it was really worth the lost time.

Goldberg74 12-11-07 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
Hopefully this will work for me. My debit card is a MasterCard. That should count, right?

Yes. I used a MasterCard Debit Card.

ctyankee 12-11-07 05:17 PM

I can see the appeal of steelcase covers, but this artwork didn't do it for me.

ericn101 12-11-07 05:41 PM

1 Bourne steelbook $18.99, 3 DMC bonus discs $.03, 2 Silver Surfers $.02, grand total $19.04, Priceless.

steelbookfan 12-11-07 05:50 PM

I just got screwed out $5 at BB. I had $10 in RZ. I showed the checkout woman the add. Presented my Mastercard + $10 reward zone tickets. Watched her ring up my transaction (2 other items + the DVD). Saw the Mastercard thing pop up on the screen. "Assumed" it took $5 off. Saw the price of Bourne was $19.09, so I thought I was "ok", but actually they were crediting a portion of my RZ.

This is ridiculous. I am going to have to email BB, and see if they will straighten it out. I don't want to have to go back to the store again tomorrow and deal with Christmas lines.

Take Care.

Trevor 12-11-07 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ericn101
1 Bourne steelbook $18.99, 3 DMC bonus discs $.03, 2 Silver Surfers $.02, grand total $19.04, Priceless.

Great post!

DEEveeDEE3 12-11-07 09:00 PM

I went to my BB, was looking foward to pay the 23.99. She ranged it up and then the screen came up about the $5 off. she said oh you get $5 off, i was happy. I PAID IN CASH. As I left the store I grab the ad and saw its only good for mastercard. I guess I was lucky the cashier didnt notice it. No problems.

DeepSleep 12-11-07 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
I went to my BB, was looking foward to pay the 23.99. She ranged it up and then the screen came up about the $5 off. she said oh you get $5 off, i was happy. I PAID IN CASH. As I left the store I grab the ad and saw its only good for mastercard. I guess I was lucky the cashier didnt notice it. No problems.

I had the same experience. The cashier rang it up and the pop up box appeared on the screen. The cashier asked me if I was going to pay with Mastercard. I said yes and quickly swiped my VISA card on the little electronic pad where you sign and put my credit card back in my wallet. I paid $18.99 plus tax.

This $5 off offer is entirely controlled by the cashier and NOT by how you actually pay for the steelbook. If the cashier hits "yes" you get $5 bucks off, if not, you don't get the $5 bucks off. It's that simple.

forumsmy 12-11-07 11:36 PM

Well, sometimes when they hit "YES".

For me, I even watched the guy and am pretty sure he hit "Yes" because I mentioned it to him and he even asked the cashier next to him. She even looked at the screen too and immediately said answer "YES".

Well, I paid , out the door, look at the receipt and NO $5 off.

Went back in, to the CSR and she just look at the ad and said are you sure you got the 2-disk one. Yes and showed it to her and she said that she would just take the $5 off manually. She did and I was out in like a couple minutes. I was in and out so fast that the loss prevention guy even asked me on the way out: Did she take care of you?

Trevor 12-11-07 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
This $5 off offer is entirely controlled by the cashier and NOT by how you actually pay for the steelbook. If the cashier hits "yes" you get $5 bucks off, if not, you don't get the $5 bucks off. It's that simple.

Just to be thorough, not quite.

The cashier actually has to add a sku # to the order, that sku is what takes the $5 off.

So the cashier actually has to hit "no" in order to follow the instructions on the screen and go back and add that sku #.

davejt1 12-13-07 08:56 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had problems - I thought it was just me and my dumb luck.

UPDATE: Went back to Best Buy and they simply tried to credit the $5 but it wouldn't take. The cashier brought two other clerks over and they all read the offer over and over trying to figure out what had happened. In the end, they had to return the first one and then resell it back to me with the $5 off deal in order to get it to work. Yay!!!

cardaway 12-13-07 09:10 AM

It wasn't easy, but I got it to work. After I convinced the cashier to look at the ad to see that it was ANY Mastercard, she still had to ask somebody how to take off the $5. I believe they just backdoored the price adjustment rather than figure out the way it was supposed to work. Took a few minutes, but I saved the $5.

SIUmark 12-13-07 12:00 PM

No problems when I bought it on Tues. Lucky I guess.