Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know where I can get the best deal on "The Man from UNCLE" DVD box set?

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Does anybody know where I can get the best deal on "The Man from UNCLE" DVD box set?

Old 12-10-07, 08:36 AM
Cool New Member

Dear all,

I see that the box set is only available through Time Life for $250. That's kind of steep even though there are 41 DVDs in all.

Thank you very much.

David
Old 12-10-07, 08:41 AM

I think you can only get this from Time Life, which really sucks since you probably won't be seeing any significant discount on the set ever. The same goes for the "Get Smart" box set. That's a real shame since not many people will be buying them.
Old 12-10-07, 09:01 AM
Defunct Account

Feeling Great is right...it's T/L or nothing right now (and for the foreseeable future.)
Old 12-10-07, 09:12 AM

T/L percent off coupons do pop up now and then. Keep checking this forum and you might find one!

--John
Old 12-10-07, 09:20 AM

Use the code AFBELLS to take 20% off a $150 order. That brings the set down to $200. (expires Jan. 13)
Old 12-10-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This set is supposed to become widely available late next year...but they said the same thing about the Get Smart set last year, and I have yet to see that available anywhere other than Time/Life.
Old 12-10-07, 09:51 AM

Time/Life exclusive is for one year. However that doesn't mean the set will be available elsewhere after one year. Get Smart is also a Time/Life exclusive for one year. Even though the one year period has expired, Get Smart is still only available from Time/Life . Use a coupon for a Time/Life discount. Time/Life also has a payment option where you can pay for the set over a 5 month period at no additional charge.
My guess is that Get Smart will be released elsewhere next year when the movie version is released.

Last edited by Classic Films; 12-10-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-10-07, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
Use the code AFBELLS to take 20% off a $150 order. That brings the set down to $200. (expires Jan. 13)
It appears that there is also currently a free shipping offer in place for Get Smart: The Complete Collection (normally $199.95). So with the coupon on top, that makes it $159.96 shipped (unless you're in one of the states they charge tax). But when I try combining this with the interest-free installment plan, it shows that the first payment will be $39.99, followed by four more payments of the same amount (total: $199.95). Is this a glitch on the site, or do they not allow coupons to be combined with the installment plan?
Old 12-10-07, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by WhovianZorker
It appears that there is also currently a free shipping offer in place for Get Smart: The Complete Collection (normally $199.95). So with the coupon on top, that makes it $159.96 shipped (unless you're in one of the states they charge tax). But when I try combining this with the interest-free installment plan, it shows that the first payment will be $39.99, followed by four more payments of the same amount (total: $199.95). Is this a glitch on the site, or do they not allow coupons to be combined with the installment plan?
They do allow coupons with the installment plan. I would call customer service and have them place the order over the phone.
Old 12-10-07, 04:57 PM
Banned

They also have (or had yesterday) Season One of Man From U.N.C.L.E. available separately for $39.99 (also had Get Smart Season One for that price, I believe). I ordered a couple of them & got 10% off plus free shipping, which made them around $36 each. The "set" price for U.N.C.L.E. Season One is $$62.50 ($250 divided by 4 seasons), so this is a great deal.

Therefore, an alternative to buying the whole set now is to get Season One at a very reasonable price, especially since (IMHO) season one is by far the best of the series. Season 2 is good, Season 3 is almost totally campy (competing with the Batman craze at the time, among others), and Season 4 only had 17 episodes or so since it was cancelled mid-season. thus, you can get the best of U.N.C.L.E. while you wait for a better price.

I still don't have my complete set (pre-ordered with a 20% off coupon + free shipping) even though it supposedly was mailed last Monday. From the DVD Talk review, the packaging is really flimsy & certainly doesn't justify the high price. My original thought was to get the set, keep the first two seasons and sell the rest. After reading the review & seeing the stand-alone price for Season 1, I would be tempted to cancel the order if it hadn't already shipped. Don't know what their return policy is.
Old 12-15-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by creekdipper
They also have (or had yesterday) Season One of Man From U.N.C.L.E. available separately for $39.99 (also had Get Smart Season One for that price, I believe). I ordered a couple of them & got 10% off plus free shipping, which made them around $36 each. The "set" price for U.N.C.L.E. Season One is $$62.50 ($250 divided by 4 seasons), so this is a great deal.
It's still available for that price along with free shipping. How did you get 10% off?

Therefore, an alternative to buying the whole set now is to get Season One at a very reasonable price, especially since (IMHO) season one is by far the best of the series. Season 2 is good, Season 3 is almost totally campy (competing with the Batman craze at the time, among others), and Season 4 only had 17 episodes or so since it was cancelled mid-season. thus, you can get the best of U.N.C.L.E. while you wait for a better price.
But if you want the whole series you might wind up doing a double-dip on season 1 based on availability of "Get Smart" seasons. The only one you can get individually is season one. To get the others you must purchase the entire set. I've been waiting for all seasons to become available individually because I really did not care for seasons 4 and 5 of "Get Smart". I'm about to get impatient enough to order the whole series using the 20% off coupon.

I still don't have my complete set (pre-ordered with a 20% off coupon + free shipping) even though it supposedly was mailed last Monday. From the DVD Talk review, the packaging is really flimsy & certainly doesn't justify the high price. My original thought was to get the set, keep the first two seasons and sell the rest. After reading the review & seeing the stand-alone price for Season 1, I would be tempted to cancel the order if it hadn't already shipped. Don't know what their return policy is.
Here is their return policy from the web site:
"What is Time Life's return policy?
At Time Life, we want you to be completely satisfied with every product you buy from us. We encourage you to examine each selection, fully confident that your satisfaction is guaranteed. If, for any reason, you're not completely satisfied with a Time Life product, simply return it within 60 days, and we will gladly refund/credit the amount paid, less shipping & handling.

Feel free to open and examine every product you receive, without commitment. If you're not as passionate about it as we are, return it. Simply follow the instructions on the packing slip to mail the product back to us. Please be sure to indicate why you are returning the product.

Mail the product via Standard mail to this address:
Time Life Customer Service
P.O. Box 6172, Clarion, Iowa 50526-6172

Once the merchandise has been received, a refund or credit for the amount paid, less shipping and handling charges, will be issued."

Or better yet, do this:
"How do I return an unopened product?
If the carton and invoice have not been opened, write "Refused -- Return to Sender" across the package and drop it in a mailbox. We guarantee the return postage on unopened packages (you must write "Refused. Return to Sender" on the box)."
Old 12-15-07, 09:05 AM

mine says shipped dec 11, my credit card was charged. does anyone know when I should expect to receive it? can`t believe they don`t give tracking number with this being over $200 dollars.

Last edited by bloopbleep; 12-15-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-15-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I still don't have my complete set (pre-ordered with a 20% off coupon + free shipping)
How did you get the 20% and free shipping? I thought they were 2 different coupons.
Old 12-15-07, 05:26 PM
Banned

Sorry, have been away & just now catching up. The 10% off code with free shipping on the GS & MFU S1 sets was a one-day only deal that came in an email from Time-Life.

However, I think that I was mistaken about the MFU pre-order having 20% off + free shipping...it was so long ago that I didn't remember that you had to choose one or the other (codes wouldn't stack). I think I tried them both out to see which would be cheaper & that's what I was probably remembering.

I did finally get my set after about 1 1/2 weeks of waiting. Haven't opened it yet. Still waiting to check out the solo (pun intended) S1 set before opening the complete box. BTW, after reading the DVDTalk review...and I almost always agree totally with Paul Mavis's reviews...I was pleasantly surprised with the box (at least from the outside).

You're right about the double-dip possibility except that I was primarily interested in Season 1...would like Season 2 but could live without it. Could definitely do without Season 3 or the aborted Season 4 unless they were an outstanding price (say, $36...the price I paid for my stand-alone sets of S1).

Thanks for updating me on TL return policy. Still mulling it over & researching the potential for making enough profit on selling S1, S3 & S4 from the set to make S2 affordable (since I've already scored S1 at a great price).
Old 12-16-07, 09:24 PM

Canada Sales

How can I get it? I'm in Canada??? Anybody have any insight??