Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

All store exclusives and freebies - 12/09/07 to 12/15/07

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strawberry99
Yep. I initially picked up the Jason Bourne Collection at Circuit City, thinking the bonus 4th disc was exclusive to Circuit City, but turns out it's the SAME EXACT thing that can be found down at Best Buy, Walmart, Target, and even Costco ($33.99). It's simply Circuit City's way of luring in customers.
To be fair, their ad doesn't describe the disc as exclusive, it just says "bonus disc." The ad is awfully confusing though because the "Circuit City Exclusive" logo is planted on what looks like a picture of the generic cover art from the Bourne DVD. That isn't connected or very close to the description for the complete collection, but it's also even further away from the free Napster description, which apparently is the only "exclusive" Circuit City has for Bourne. That description actually looks like it refers to Die Hard 4, although that would defy logic. This is about the worst layout I've ever seen in the weekly DVD ads.
Old 12-14-07, 02:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by RD1973
What image is on the new 3D cover?
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...derman3wm2.jpg

The red and black suits alternate, and the arm in the foreground reaches out at you. It didn't come out too good in the scan.
Old 12-14-07, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SliceOfHorse
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...derman3wm2.jpg

The red and black suits alternate, and the arm in the foreground reaches out at you. It didn't come out too good in the scan.
It looks great in person. My only fault with it is it's for the one disc. I was actually surprised it wasn't foolscreen as well.
Old 12-14-07, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JediJones
To be fair, their ad doesn't describe the disc as exclusive, it just says "bonus disc." The ad is awfully confusing though because the "Circuit City Exclusive" logo is planted on what looks like a picture of the generic cover art from the Bourne DVD. That isn't connected or very close to the description for the complete collection, but it's also even further away from the free Napster description, which apparently is the only "exclusive" Circuit City has for Bourne. That description actually looks like it refers to Die Hard 4, although that would defy logic. This is about the worst layout I've ever seen in the weekly DVD ads.
Personally I think we're seeing a trend in stores trying to trick people into thinking their basic version is exclsuive. It's actually getting really obvious and I could see the store that does actually have the exclusive taking action. Thankfully we can come to places liek this and get the scoop.

And just so it's clear one more time, The Bourne Box has a fourth bonus disc no matter where you buy it. Got mine at Costco. It's housed in the passport which makes it like it's own little release rather than just being in a envelope like I have seen in other releases.
Old 12-14-07, 03:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by SliceOfHorse
Hey Trevor, that Spider-Man 3 Wal-Mart exclusive also has an all-new exclusive 3D Lenticular slipcover. Also, I only paid $16.76 for it (plus tax).
Thanks, added that!
Old 12-14-07, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by cardaway
Personally I think we're seeing a trend in stores trying to trick people into thinking their basic version is exclsuive. It's actually getting really obvious and I could see the store that does actually have the exclusive taking action. Thankfully we can come to places liek this and get the scoop.

And just so it's clear one more time, The Bourne Box has a fourth bonus disc no matter where you buy it. Got mine at Costco. It's housed in the passport which makes it like it's own little release rather than just being in a envelope like I have seen in other releases.
That brings the question: Is this 4th bonus disc exclusive to this new release? I'm hoping that it is the same bonus disc that was in the BB exclusive 2 movie set that came out a few months ago.
Old 12-14-07, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
That brings the question: Is this 4th bonus disc exclusive to this new release? I'm hoping that it is the same bonus disc that was in the BB exclusive 2 movie set that came out a few months ago.
Already covered. It's not exactly the same.
Old 12-14-07, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by cardaway
Already covered. It's not exactly the same.
Thanks. I'll probably end up picking it up.
Old 12-15-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Lost S3 @ Wal-Mart

Thanks for the advice SI78 (and of course TVJunkie).

Picked up season three from Wal-Mart for $34.98. And yes, I did look for the most disinterested clerk. She ripped out the page from the Circuit City ad and re-priced the DVD; most sway.

There is a story here.

There are two Wal-Marts in my area; Colton and Rialto (California).

Generally one of the stores will have a DVD cheaper than the other as well as different titles in the five dollar bin. It pays to look about.

They also have different placement - DVD sets are bundled together with this security wire/net. And naturally it won't be loose on the set, it has to be as tight as possible; denting all the boxes inside the lock. I hate that. Anyhow...

I go the the Rialto shop and see S3 for $39.98. I coudn't pick it up on Tuesday, but knew I wanted it with the bonus disc. They have a bunch of copies. The Colton branch is selling it for $44.98 by the way.

A few hours ago. I went to Rialto with the Circuit City ad in had. What did I see? They changed the price. It's now $44.98. WTF? That has never happened before.

Last edited by JohnIan; 12-15-07 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-02-08, 05:20 PM

For Harry Potter, Transworld had an exclusive lithograph -- one of those cardboard frame thingies with a glossy still from the movie (looked to be either 5x7 or maybe 8x10). Looked nice, but it didn't move me enough to want to buy the movie again.

Also, Borders had a very unusual exclusive. It was the 2-disc version of the movie accompanied by an exclusive hardcover book. I don't think it was "Order of the Phoenix" itself but I don't remember it being a wholly unique book, either. I think it may have been a supplemental guide book of sorts, albeit a "Borders exclusive" edition. The most unusual aspect of this package was the fact that the book (which was wider and taller than the DVD keepcase) was packaged INSIDE the slipcover -- they actually went to the trouble of making a larger-size version of it to accommodate this exclusive! I think this edition was selling for $39.99, maybe a few dollars off during the first week. Due to its larger size and the weight of the hardcover book, most copies I came across had the slipcover fairly beaten up and none were pristine, even during the first day of sale. Anyway, just figured I'd add that to the list.
Old 02-04-08, 01:37 PM

Thanks! Added.