Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - December '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - December '07

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
If you buy a lot of anime it pays for itself because it stacks with their sales.
In my experience it does not pay for itself. That's because TRSI's sales aren't so hot to begin with, so saving a few more percent is kinda like tits on a bull. A 20% off MSRP sale just isn't anything to get worked up about. The really good sales - like the Geneon 4/$20 and 25/$100 - have not been eligible for the coupon. That's why I let my 'membership' lapse four or five years ago.
Old 12-29-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
If you buy a lot of anime it pays for itself because it stacks with their sales.

for example, if youy have a GA and you buy something eligiblae for the current new years sale you save 35%. Without GA you only save 20%.

Yoou also save 10% off Deal of the Day.
I though GA only gives you 10% off. Does this increase to 15% during a sale?
Old 12-29-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Actually, it goes down. Because it is 10% off of the already discounted price. So, if the sale is 20% the effective discount with GA is only 28%.
Old 12-29-07, 09:26 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts
Originally Posted by RedTail
Can anyone who has the X Remix set let me know how it's packaged? Are we talking singles in an art box, brick, digi, etc?
The packaging is somewhat like a digipak book. It's closer to the Kyo Kara Maoh! disc books without the clip flap on the side.
Old 12-29-07, 09:44 PM
WTK

FYE.com - $5 off $6+ Coupon

Here are some of the coupon codes:
  • FYEWEL122207
  • FYEWEL122307
  • FYEWEL122407
  • FYEWEL122507
  • FYEWEL122607
  • FYEWEL122707
  • FYEWEL122807
  • FYEWEL122907
* Terms and Conditions: Not valid at f.y.e. retail locations. Valid online only. Orders must be placed on or before January 4, 2008 11:59:00 PM MT. This offer is not valid with any other coupon, shipping coupon, Gift Cards, Downloads, Google Checkout, or other promotions. Tax (when applicable) will apply as usual. One coupon per customer. Coupon can only be used once. Offer void outside the United States or where prohibited by law. Coupon has no cash value. Fye.com reserves the right to cancel this promotion at any time.
Old 12-29-07, 10:48 PM

Actually, it goes down. Because it is 10% off of the already discounted price. So, if the sale is 20% the effective discount with GA is only 28%.
This is true, however, my membership (problems were taken care of by the best customer service ever...thanks everyone for responses...see past posts) paid for itself.

This 20% off of "already sales prices...not MSRP" sale was a great time to get the Geneon volumes I needed that will probably never go on sale (i.e. Shonen Onmyouji vol 2, Story of Saiunkoku, Gankutsuou, etc.) as they are dwindling. When my membership discount was added, the $12.00 for the membership fee had paid for itself and then some.

By the way, those interested in the Kanazuki no Miko (sp?) box set by Geneon better jump on it. There is a counter. I haven't checked the past few days....it may already be gone.
Old 12-29-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WTK
FYE.com - $5 off $6+ Coupon

Here are some of the coupon codes:
  • FYEWEL122207
  • FYEWEL122307
  • FYEWEL122407
  • FYEWEL122507
  • FYEWEL122607
  • FYEWEL122707
  • FYEWEL122807
  • FYEWEL122907
* Terms and Conditions: Not valid at f.y.e. retail locations. Valid online only. Orders must be placed on or before January 4, 2008 11:59:00 PM MT. This offer is not valid with any other coupon, shipping coupon, Gift Cards, Downloads, Google Checkout, or other promotions. Tax (when applicable) will apply as usual. One coupon per customer. Coupon can only be used once. Offer void outside the United States or where prohibited by law. Coupon has no cash value. Fye.com reserves the right to cancel this promotion at any time.
AND THIS COUPON IS SLOWLY DYING THANKS TO ALL THE FW'ERS
Old 12-29-07, 11:24 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
AND THIS COUPON IS SLOWLY DYING THANKS TO ALL THE FW'ERS
It's not that surprising with all the GC purchases out there.
Old 12-29-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad I got in on one... I used it on Death Note Vol. 2 LE (just in time to qualify for the rebate). It's too bad people abuse coupons like that.
Old 12-30-07, 12:26 AM
WTK

Save 25% on Select Manga Entertainment Titles @ BestBuy.com
Old 12-30-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haha not even much of an effort on BB's part...sad sad little sale...pardon my cynicism
Old 12-30-07, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WTK
It's not that surprising with all the GC purchases out there.
I'm not even going to attempt to try to make a purchase using one. People posting they made 50+ purchases with them...Lame.
Old 12-30-07, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
In my experience it does not pay for itself. That's because TRSI's sales aren't so hot to begin with, so saving a few more percent is kinda like tits on a bull. A 20% off MSRP sale just isn't anything to get worked up about.
It's not 20% off MSRP, but 20% off their already set prices. Take a little more off with the GA and you have a nice deal.

...and adding tits to anything instantly makes it better.
Old 12-30-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
In my experience it does not pay for itself. That's because TRSI's sales aren't so hot to begin with, so saving a few more percent is kinda like tits on a bull. A 20% off MSRP sale just isn't anything to get worked up about. The really good sales - like the Geneon 4/$20 and 25/$100 - have not been eligible for the coupon. That's why I let my 'membership' lapse four or five years ago.
Actually, during the normal studio specific sales, you save 47% with the membership.
Old 12-30-07, 01:41 PM

I mean 35% off retail...

"REMEMBER: If you’re a Got Anime member, you can stack your discounts for even more savings! (This means you have the potential to save up to 35% off the retail prices on all in-stock items! Check out www.gotanime.com for details.)"

Unlike their other sales, the New Year sales is off their sale price. Most ofther slaes are off retail.

So, for example, I think a bandai sale might be 40% off retail. While the current is 35% off retail but really 20% + 10% off sale prices. It's wierd that they do this sale differently. Probably for advertising purposes.

But look, you only have to save $12 to have the membership pay for itself. I recently bought the Grenadier colection for $18. That's the same as if I waited around for the 20% off sale at DDD. And it's about three bucks cheaper than probably anywhere else I could to get it right now. Over the course of a year I easily save $12 in my purchases from RS. I don't save hundreds, but I maybe save $30-$40 considering I might spend a hundred per studio sale.

I will admit, the savings were b etter a couple years ago. Remember, yoiu used to be able to get 10% off on top of their Christmas specials. But I think that ended two-three years ago.
Old 12-30-07, 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=Admiral Ackbar]I mean 35% off retail...
Unlike their other sales, the New Year sales is off their sale price. Most ofther slaes are off retail.
QUOTE]

The in-stock sales are 20% off sale price too. There was a recent sale too ( forgot which one) that you could lump the monthly GA coupon and reg 10% discount.

*checks* Ah, okay. It was the 'Be Quick Like a Ninja: 30% OFF the Retail Prices on Almost Everything' sale. It was four days only. Dvds were included but I used it on manga. Half the books are still on order but that's fine by me. ^o^
Old 12-30-07, 09:56 PM
WTK

I have post a new thread over at the DVD Discussion forum about ANIME YEAR IN REVIEW (R1) for 2007.

Feel free to comment on that thread!
Old 12-31-07, 08:38 AM

Apologies for this non-bargain-related post. I'm trying to find an artbox to hold the 6 individual Scrapped Princess Volumes. Am I right in thinking that one of the limited-edition releases came with the artbox? If so, which one? If not...any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks
Dan
Old 12-31-07, 09:36 AM

There were 6 Scrapped Princess limited edition boxes. But these were to hold the figurines that came long with the LE editions.

Old 12-31-07, 09:52 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by halfacandan
Apologies for this non-bargain-related post. I'm trying to find an artbox to hold the 6 individual Scrapped Princess Volumes. Am I right in thinking that one of the limited-edition releases came with the artbox? If so, which one? If not...any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks
Dan
Check out this custom artbox designer: Link 1 | Link 2, though you may have to email to inquire about box availability for this series
Old 12-31-07, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by WTK
There were 6 Scrapped Princess limited edition boxes. But these were to hold the figurines that came long with the LE editions.
Thanks. I'd had a look at some sites that were calling vol. 1 or vol. 2 an artbox release so I wasn't quite sure.

Originally Posted by WTK
Check out this custom artbox designer: Link 1 | Link 2, though you may have to email to inquire about box availability for this series
I've stumbled across these guys before but the cost had put me off a little. They've got about 10 boxes which I quite fancy though so I'll ask if they do a bulk discount.

Thanks and Happy New Year (when it comes)!
Dan
Old 12-31-07, 10:42 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by strawberry99
Another thing I'm wondering about is what kind of software Rightstuf.com uses to run their site. Their shopping cart is in fact one of the *worst* ones I have ever come across. The product disappears shortly after you place it into the cart while browsing for other titles.

Just a few minutes ago, I placed an item into the cart, knew of two titles that I also wanted, placed the second into the cart successfully. Upon the 3rd item, the other 2 were now gone. And the one I really wanted is now "out of stock." Three titles and I was going to check out. And this was within a span of 7 - 15 seconds.
We are currently in programming to replace this system. Normally I see this kind of issue when people are using multiple tabs to browse the site. I'll be happy to try to help you troubleshoot it if you'd like.

We have replaced the front end of the site, and now the backend is queue to be replaced next.
Old 12-31-07, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by shawnek
We are currently in programming to replace this system. Normally I see this kind of issue when people are using multiple tabs to browse the site. I'll be happy to try to help you troubleshoot it if you'd like.

We have replaced the front end of the site, and now the backend is queue to be replaced next.
However, your customer service and deals are pretty top notch, i think they overwhelm these issues. Ill rather have a (at worst) faulty cart in order to confuse a rightstuf noob when stock is dwindling so I could get a chance at it.
Old 12-31-07, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man longest anime thread of them all...and now it's time for a new one :-D HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!