Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - December '07

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - December '07

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man if i didn't already have the first 9 volumes this would be an EASY choice for me :-D definitely highly recommended for anyone who hasn't seen this show yet or doesn't have any of it on dvd!!!

didn't shawnek do little hints before each deal the next day? i can't remember...
Old 12-02-07, 08:59 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
^

I highly recommend the Eureka Seven bundle. It's an awesome show and you get the first 42 episodes. There's only two more volumes to go and you can usually find them for around $13-$15 each.

Does anyone know if FYE did indeed stop selling Geneon titles? I heard that they were going to pull them off the shelf on November 30. Thanks.
I have Eureka Seven Vol.1 to Vol.10 (I have all the LEs so far as well). But this is a great price for the first 10 volumes for a great series.

My local Suncoast stores are keeping the remaining stock until they sell out. I guess stores in other regions may vary.
Old 12-02-07, 11:20 PM

Link seem to be down at the moment. I'll place my order when it's back up. Never watched the show, but can't pass up on such a deal.
Old 12-02-07, 11:54 PM

Right Stuf's 12+ Days of Christmas - 2007
Dang! Its started already!
Old 12-03-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm so tempted, but I've been spending so much money lately (on Christmas shopping). I'll have to think about it...
Old 12-03-07, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Yeah, I have EK7 already and am waiting for a HD version. I know they have a high-def master all ready to go. Good series. Is it worth $90? I don't know. I have a hard time paying $90 for individual volumes (even grouped together) when I know in a year they'll sell it as a set for less.

Speaking of which, next month Noein and Tokko sets will be available for ~$25 and $18 street resprectively. Two great deals.
Old 12-03-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IMO: High Def + Anime = replacement of collections + too much hassle
Old 12-03-07, 11:56 AM
Banned

DVDmaniac, do you have an HD display? If you don't seeing is believing. Having a nice 1080p transfer w/lossless audio makes all the difference. Everyone said the same for videotape, yet they did it anyways.

I'm hoping we get some earlier sets in HD that were hand drawn and shot on film. I'd gladly trade up to those.
Old 12-03-07, 12:07 PM

An upscaling player is just fine for anime. I use the philips upscaler and it looks fabulous.
In the new year I need to finish my Geneon colections. Don't have the money now because of the Holidays. But want to get...

Zipang
Ergo Proxy
Paradise Kiss
Last two volumes of Monte Cristo
Kamichu
Strawbery Marshmallow
And I think a handful of other singles.

Do you think geneon might put out collections of certain titles after they get a new distributer? Like, Zipang or Ergo Proxy?

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; 12-03-07 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-03-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
DVDmaniac, do you have an HD display? If you don't seeing is believing. Having a nice 1080p transfer w/lossless audio makes all the difference. Everyone said the same for videotape, yet they did it anyways.

I'm hoping we get some earlier sets in HD that were hand drawn and shot on film. I'd gladly trade up to those.
i do indeed have an HD display! :-D Samsung HL-S 5687W 56" 1080p capabilities..and i got my 1080p Toshiba A30 HD DVD Player (upscaling!) to go with it...i just don't see how hand-drawn shows would benefit from HD...i mean CGI animation YES! I will def buy FFVII: Advent Children when it comes out on BR or HD...but for the most part im in agreement with ^^..upscaling is fine for me. I honestly just don't want to have to replace all 600 or so dvds in my collection...i mean, does anyone in here actually want to do that?! I'd like to know..

and i should also add that the videotape argument has no real bearing on the dvd to hd/blu ray war, IMO at least...O_o
Old 12-03-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
An upscaling player is just fine for anime. I use the philips upscaler and it looks fabulous.
In the new year I need to finish my Geneon colections. Don't have the money now because of the Holidays. But want to get...

Zipang
Ergo Proxy
Paradise Kiss
Kamichu
Strawbery Marshmallow

Do you think geneon might put out collections of certain titles after they get a new distributer? Like, Zipang or Ergo Proxy?
Doubtful. But I can be wrong. I would love to own Zipang and Ergo Proxy, but gotta wait till some distributors get the rights to sell them.
Old 12-03-07, 01:21 PM

Well, HD properly won't improve much on TV and most OVA production.
But may not be the case for high-profile movies.
Title like Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Steamboy, with super-detailed background, I would like to watch them in HD.

Also, check this out if you have not already:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...or_blu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ce_blu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ll_blu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...oh_blu-ray.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...se_blu-ray.htm
Old 12-03-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I didn't feel like starting a new Anime thread on the forum because I know most of the sites anime viewers visit this thread.

I've been out of anime for several years now (Save for Samurai Champloo, Naruto, and Death Note -- I haven't really watched a complete series since Now and Then, Here and There and GTO) any recommendations for current shows? More desirably, ones with a good deal going one Preferably comedic but anything would do (I was a huge fan of Serial Experiments Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun.. the late 90s were good to anime).

Any big "name" shows come through? I remember hearing about Evangelion, Macross Plus back in the day, anything with that similar type of impact?
Old 12-03-07, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
any recommendations for current shows? More desirably, ones with a good deal going one Preferably comedic but anything would do
Good 21st Century Anime Comedies:
Azumanga Daioh ($35 @ Buy.com)
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu ($25 @ Buy.com)

Another good 21st Century Anime:
Gunslinger Girl ($25 @ Deep Discount)
Old 12-03-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend Fullmetal Alchemist (probably perfect for you to see), Black Lagoon (we probably stuck only 1 season due to Geneon closed down), and Chobits.
Old 12-03-07, 02:50 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar

Zipang
Ergo Proxy
Paradise Kiss
Kamichu
Strawbery Marshmallow

Ergo Proxy would probably be a longshot. There is almost no chance of Zipang getting rescued by another studio. I guess only time would tell.
Old 12-03-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think I can bite, even at $90... I've been spending -way- too much, and I also have a huge backlog.

And I've basically given up on acquiring Geneon titles for series I own which contain gaps. Time to move on.
Old 12-03-07, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDmaniac14
i do indeed have an HD display! :-D Samsung HL-S 5687W 56" 1080p capabilities..and i got my 1080p Toshiba A30 HD DVD Player (upscaling!) to go with it...i just don't see how hand-drawn shows would benefit from HD...i mean CGI animation YES! I will def buy FFVII: Advent Children when it comes out on BR or HD...but for the most part im in agreement with ^^..upscaling is fine for me. I honestly just don't want to have to replace all 600 or so dvds in my collection...i mean, does anyone in here actually want to do that?! I'd like to know..

and i should also add that the videotape argument has no real bearing on the dvd to hd/blu ray war, IMO at least...O_o
Film generally has a higher resolution than most digitally shot anime. You need to see Patlabor on Blu-Ray, to see what I mean (Tekkon Kinkreet and Paprika look awesome too). Hand drawn animation can take huge advantage of HDM. I can't wait until Disney releases Sleeping Beauty sometime later in '08.

As for upscaling DVDs, sure they look good, but it's not the same as having a true HD master- I'm not talking about the pre-upscalled stuff that they typically air in Japan, but there are a growing list of shows now that they run in Japan on networks like Hi and WowoW that come from HD masters. A short list of shows with HD masters (off the top of my head):

Planetes
Darker than Black
Eureka 7
GitS TV (Both series so far)
Ergo Proxy

So many more...
Old 12-03-07, 04:17 PM

I hope there are no titles I really want on this 12 days of Xmas sale money is tight as it is.

For HD, As with movies I'll probably stick to buying some new stuff comes out in BR(possibly HD-DVD down the road)that I really want. Probably only upgrade the titles I own on DVD that i really really like. Didn't even upgrade most of my VHS movies. But if Macross any incarnation makes the jump I'm there.
Old 12-03-07, 07:13 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
On the first day of Christmas, Right Stuf's elves gave to me...
A robot that crashed through the tree.

• Day 01 - December 3rd: Eureka Seven DVD Bundle (1-10): $89.99
  • Day 02 - December 4th:
  • Day 03 - December 5th:
  • Day 04 - December 6th:
  • Day 05 - December 7th:
  • Day 06 - December 8th:
  • Day 07 - December 9th:
  • Day 08 - December 10th:
  • Day 09 - December 11th:
  • Day 10 - December 12th:
  • Day 11 - December 13th:
  • Day 12 - December 14th:
On the second day of Christmas, Right Stuf's elves gave to me...
Two demon-slayers,
And a robot that crashed through the tree.
Old 12-03-07, 07:16 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by WTK
On the second day of Christmas, Right Stuf's elves gave to me...
Two demon-slayers,
And a robot that crashed through the tree.
...maybe InuYasha.
Old 12-03-07, 07:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by WTK
...maybe InuYasha.
or Chrono Crusade maybe.
Old 12-03-07, 11:17 PM

If you missed out (or just don't like Buy.com), Walmart.com has Nadia, The Secret Of Blue Water: Perfect Collection for $38.88. You can use "Site to Store" to avoid shipping, but will most likely still have to pay tax depending on your state.
Old 12-03-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Alright. So I just finished watching Neon Genesis Evangelion for the first time. What was that?! I have to say I never been so disappointed by a series conclusion before. The episodes themselves were interesting but the last volume, all three of the episodes (not just the last two) left me feeling rather confused and upset at the same time. Should I even both to see the movie End of Evangelion? I am debating about whether or not I should pick it up. If I can find a good price for it (any suggestions?) I might purchase it and see whether or not the series is worth keeping for me. Otherwise, if the movie fails to change my mind on the series ending, I will be getting rid of the show. I loved most of the series... but the ending has me seriously second guessing my entire opinion on the whole thing.
Old 12-04-07, 12:05 AM
WTK

On the first day of Christmas, Right Stuf's elves gave to me...
Two demon-slayers,
A robot that crashed through the tree.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.