Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Silver Surfer Statue at Best Buy (B&M) 1 cent!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Silver Surfer Statue at Best Buy (B&M) 1 cent!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the Jungle Book bank is just a tin bank then? No DVD or anything else inside the package?
Old 12-14-07, 11:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by StrTrkker
So the Jungle Book bank is just a tin bank then? No DVD or anything else inside the package?
Correct.
Old 12-14-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I did 4 orders of 3 boxes of Silver Surfers, and for some reason, they shipped 3 of the orders via UPS and I received them on Wednesday, but the other order was shipped via USPS and still no sign of that package. WTF?
Old 12-14-07, 11:50 PM

The Night at the Museum toy in a tube thing is also 1 cent. I found a Best Buy with a ton of those and the Silver Surfer. They were just piled under the CD shelves buried in one aisle. I tried to buy a shopping cart full, but the door guys and a manager walked over while I was being rung out and said they wouldn't let me buy that many. They said only 3 each. Doesn't really make any sense since it's a product they're trying to get rid of. If they had it out on a display where everyone could see they were clearanced I could understand saving some for other people but they obviously were not trying to move this product at all. Then when it was going to move, they stopped the sale. One of the door guys said they were going to send it all back to the manufacturer for credit, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If that's what they're supposed to do, why would the corporation change the price to 1 cent instead of just asking them to send it back? Not like I really needed that many, I was going to give them as gifts and give a bunch to Toys for Tots. But even when I told them I'd donate them right there in their own drop box the manager still wouldn't let me buy any more.
Old 12-15-07, 02:19 AM

^^^It's kind of suspicious if you're buying a shopping cart full even if you claim to be donating them.
Old 12-15-07, 02:33 AM

is there a SKU for the POTC: AWE bonus disc? or is it available online? i didn't see it. i went to my local best buy the other day and there were NONE there, even though there had been like 100 a few days prior. if i had a SKU, i wanted to see if they could check in their system if other stores around had any, but they couldn't locate it by just typing in a description.
Old 12-15-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sandman007
^^^It's kind of suspicious if you're buying a shopping cart full even if you claim to be donating them.
...suspicious of what?
Old 12-15-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just bought one because I don't mind giving other people a chance to get one.
Old 12-15-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying a shopping cart full isn't right, even if you are planning on donating them. It is taking away from others that really want them... I haven't found any yet...
Old 12-15-07, 05:12 PM
Defunct Account

My BB had two that I snagged for my kids a couple of weeks ago. Last Thursday I went in an there were about 20. (I grabbed one for my brother and two more to trade. If anyone has the Ghost Rider book that was a penny a while ago and wants to swap, shoot me an e-mail.) I was surprised that they were restocked, so it might be worth a trip back if you struck out the first time.
Old 12-15-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a loaded cart in one store. I wasnt questioned...

And if ever Im asked...

Heck the Toys for Tots thing aint my answer because that is the lamest and pathetic excuse.

I would go to my point.. This is a consumer right
Old 12-15-07, 05:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
What's truly amazing is that somebody somewhere really thought that these would sell at $14.99, or that tens of thousands of people would buy the Ghost Rider DVD and pay the $4.99 for this.
Old 12-15-07, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
What's truly amazing is that somebody somewhere really thought that these would sell at $14.99, or that tens of thousands of people would buy the Ghost Rider DVD and pay the $4.99 for this.
The titanium figure is currently sold for $17.99 (sans DVD)
Old 12-15-07, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Buying a shopping cart full isn't right, even if you are planning on donating them. It is taking away from others that really want them... I haven't found any yet...
So donating = taking away from others? That's the most backwards logic I've heard in a while. This was the Springfield, PA Best Buy store if you're near there. They had about 75 of each of Silver Surfer boxes and the Night at the Museum set last week and I found them piled up in one CD aisle under the racks. I didn't have any guilt about it because they were piled up in an obscure area of the store with either no price tag or the $14.99 price tag on it. Nobody was going to find them even if they wanted to buy them at full price. And most likely the store would have just sent them back eventually where they might be destroyed. From what one of them told me that's what they were going to do after I left. Don't know if that was BS or not because it seems ridiculous...if that's what the corporation wanted them to do, why would they change the price to 1 cent nationwide and even on the web site where they remain in stock? I didn't realize it was on the web site at that time or I might have tried to show it to them. But they were dead set against selling them no matter what I said. They just reverted to sputtering out "we can't let you buy those" any time I made a good point that they couldn't find any logic to argue with.

I'll be happy if they put them out where someone could see them and marked them a penny so that a lot of people could get them for stocking stuffers. I think at one point one of them mentioned something about their policy on pricing errors so they might have thought this was an error. I'm sure if they can figure out how they'll raise the price back to $14.99 and these things will continue to sit there wasting away. If I had to guess I'd say they just dragged them back to the stockroom and are letting them rot there. They seemed happier with the idea of letting their dead inventory take up space than actually selling it to one of their customers.
Old 12-15-07, 06:57 PM

Still available online

BTW, don't forget the Silver Surfer is still available online...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p=1&id=1757939

$2.12 shipped probably beats the cost of gas to drive to even your nearest Best Buy if you could find one there.
Old 12-15-07, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by xage
I bought a loaded cart in one store. I wasnt questioned...

And if ever Im asked...

Heck the Toys for Tots thing aint my answer because that is the lamest and pathetic excuse.

I would go to my point.. This is a consumer right
My feelings exactly. I would feel sorry for all the TOTS getting a cruddy TOY like that for Christmas.
Old 12-15-07, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ericn101
My feelings exactly. I would feel sorry for all the TOTS getting a cruddy TOY like that for Christmas.
That is indeed true

The toy itself has no articulation and I dont think children (tots) will appreciate the documentary DVD that came with it.
Old 12-15-07, 09:07 PM

Buying a shopping cart full isn't right, even if you areplanning on donating them. It is taking away from others that really want them... I haven't found any yet...

Originally Posted by JediJones
So donating = taking away from others? That's the most backwards logic I've heard in a while. This was the Springfield, PA Best Buy store if you're near there. They had about 75 of each of Silver Surfer boxes and the Night at the Museum set last week and I found them piled up in one CD aisle under the racks. I didn't have any guilt about it because they were piled up in an obscure area of the store with either no price tag or the $14.99 price tag on it. Nobody was going to find them even if they wanted to buy them at full price. And most likely the store would have just sent them back eventually where they might be destroyed. From what one of them told me that's what they were going to do after I left. Don't know if that was BS or not because it seems ridiculous...if that's what the corporation wanted them to do, why would they change the price to 1 cent nationwide and even on the web site where they remain in stock? I didn't realize it was on the web site at that time or I might have tried to show it to them. But they were dead set against selling them no matter what I said. They just reverted to sputtering out "we can't let you buy those" any time I made a good point that they couldn't find any logic to argue with.

I'll be happy if they put them out where someone could see them and marked them a penny so that a lot of people could get them for stocking stuffers. I think at one point one of them mentioned something about their policy on pricing errors so they might have thought this was an error. I'm sure if they can figure out how they'll raise the price back to $14.99 and these things will continue to sit there wasting away. If I had to guess I'd say they just dragged them back to the stockroom and are letting them rot there. They seemed happier with the idea of letting their dead inventory take up space than actually selling it to one of their customers.
I don't see any problem with kenbenobi saying "[donating and taking away from others that might want them.]" A single individual cleaning the store (not implying that you were going to do that) is in fact "taking away from others" who would be in the area, and knows about the penny deal on silver surfer, and would be making a stop at the Best Buy to buy one or two or a few. Supply is limited to what the Best Buy has in stock.

If 75 is available and 1 person buys all 75 (and donating them to toys for tots or whatever he/she plans to do), no other person in that store would be able to buy them. So in fact it is "taking away from others." Despite the fact that available products are usually on a first come first serve basis.

Nevertheless, sometimes Best Buy employees are simply difficult. I had an issue buying more than one Surfer recently because the manager or supervisor on staff at the time said they were meant to be Free with the purchase of a Silver Surfer DVD. I left and went back the next day. Another manager was on staff and actually said I could clean them out if I wanted. They had 100 left or so. I handed the cashier 10 cents and left with 10 surfers. I believe the same manage/supervisor was also present but didn't say anything this time around. I guess, it really just depends on the manager or employee on staff at the moment.
Old 12-15-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JediJones
So donating = taking away from others? That's the most backwards logic I've heard in a while.
These aren't TOYS. It is a collectible figurine. BIG difference. And if the store wanted to donate them, they would have. Who made you Santa Claus? Buying 50 of them and donating them is indeed taking away from people that truly WANT them.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 12-15-07 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a consumer right
Consumer right?!?!?!?! They have just as much right to refuse you, and set a limit. There is no law saying they have to let one person buy out the entire store's stock of a clearanced item. They can set limits if they want to...

Taken from the Help section on bestbuy.com:

Limited Quantities

We want as many people as possible to take advantage of our offers. That's why Best Buy may, at its own discretion, limit or cancel quantities purchased per person, per household or per order.

We reserve the right to limit quantities sold, including the right to limit or prohibit sales to dealers. See our Conditions of Use for more information.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 12-15-07 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 10:08 PM

Consumer right?!?!?!?! They have just as much right to refuse you, and set a limit. There is no law saying they have to let one person buy out the entire store's stock of a clearanced item. They can set limits if they want to...
But as I said.. No one refused my purchase of cartload of the penny surfer. I got 52 in all and around 30+ of I threw randomly in trashcans in the private village I reside (just trippin)

And its my right to buy.. after all they advertised it in their website and it rings up as a penny.

Taken from the Help section on bestbuy.com:

Limited Quantities

We want as many people as possible to take advantage of our offers. That's why Best Buy may, at its own discretion, limit or cancel quantities purchased per person, per household or per order.

We reserve the right to limit quantities sold, including the right to limit or prohibit sales to dealers. See our Conditions of Use for more information.
Aww, is that the extent of your resource? from the website itself..

And here is what the xage had taken from a Bestbuy store (and not just the bestbuy.com help site).

And my condition... Get all that you can get and do whatever you wanted with your purchase!

I dont know your "wrong mentality" but from the looks of it you were beaten by another consumer in getting the penny surfer from your nearby bestbuy

Oh.. aside from smashing the penny surfer

here is another use of it...

Last edited by xage; 12-15-07 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 10:15 PM

i went to best buy today and it said 14.99 on the box. It will just ring up to penny? damn kinda screwed that one up
Old 12-15-07, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by boomcity
i went to best buy today and it said 14.99 on the box. It will just ring up to penny? damn kinda screwed that one up
Just bring it to the cashier and it willring up at .01
Old 12-15-07, 10:42 PM

i got 3 of them today. 2 for me, 1 for my buddy JC.
Old 12-15-07, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But as I said.. No one refused my purchase of cartload of the penny surfer. I got 52 in all and around 30+ of I threw randomly in trashcans in the private village I reside (just trippin)

And its my right to buy.. after all they advertised it in their website and it rings up as a penny.

Aww, is that the extent of your resource? from the website itself..

And here is what the xage had taken from a Bestbuy store (and not just the bestbuy.com help site).

And my condition... Get all that you can get and do whatever you wanted with your purchase!

I dont know your "wrong mentality" but from the looks of it you were beaten by another consumer in getting the penny surfer from your nearby bestbuy
It is your right to buy IF THEY ARE WILLING TO SELL IT TO YOU (which apparently they did for you, but others were refused). There is no such thing as "consumer right." They could have refused you, and you would have had no leg to stand on. AFTER your purchase, sure, you have the right to do as you please. My point was they didn't have to do sell them all to you if they didn't want to. And the fact that you destroyed some and threw some away just proves that you're an ass... As stated previously, you took the opportunity away from others that truly wanted them. Regardless of whether or not you had the right to do it, morally you should not have. It is YOU with the "wrong mentality." Well, what goes around, comes around... At some point, there will be something you really want, that you won't find. And there I'll be, dunking it in my toilet...

Respond if you want, but I don't care what you have to say. I'm done. I've said more than enough... And nothing you could say could possibly justify your actions...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.