Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

HD DVD player at Wal-mart for $98.87! (11/2 8am)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

HD DVD player at Wal-mart for $98.87! (11/2 8am)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
GenPion,

You didn't get a box, either? I'd be going back to the store. That's just ridiculous. You shouldn't be charged the full sale price when it's missing so much. Go to Best Buy, and talk to the manager. Maybe they can swap for another model if necessary. That's just incomplete customer service.
Old 11-04-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got one last night.....the Wal-Mart in Paintsville KY (yeah I know the odds of anybody here from that area but whatever) had at least 14 or 15 more of them there then...it looks like nobody else bought one!!
Old 11-04-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by demonio
I got one last night.....the Wal-Mart in Paintsville KY (yeah I know the odds of anybody here from that area but whatever) had at least 14 or 15 more of them there then...it looks like nobody else bought one!!
You flew all the way from Germany to go to Kentucky and score a $100 player?
Old 11-04-07, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GenPion
I still don't know what to do in terms of a remote. I wish my Best Buy's floor model had been less than $99. I guess I can go get a Universal Remote today and see how that works... does anyone think if I called a customer service number or something I could figure out a way to get the five free mail-in-rebate HD-DVD's? Or do all of you think it will be impossible for me? I go my receipt...
I'm not optimistic you will get the 5 free dvd's without the UPC. Personally, I would take it back since you didn't get the remote, or box, and they wouldn't even discount it for you. If the reports earlier in this thread are correct, they will be getting more. Or possibly other stores will have the same bargain. $99 isn't a bargain if you don't get the the remote or box... And there will be MANY more similar deals for black friday, possibly even on the A3... Of course, the decision is yours, but personally I'd take it back...
Old 11-04-07, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Alright, people... I have an update. I went back to Best Buy to see what they would do for me. They were able to find my remote. It was in the store. The first guy who checked for me when I made the purchase hadn't tried very hard. They gave me it with no problems. However, they were unwilling to refund me the price difference I should have received for it being a floor model and claimed it was only $100 because of a price-match the store made to Wal-mart. Well, that's a flat-out lie seeing as how Wal-mart was selling them for $98 and some cents, correct? And in any case, the people I talked to did not seem to understand why I was complaining about getting the UPC barcode for the mail in rebate. The receipt I received does not even list the item as open box or anything, it shows up as if a brand new player was purchased. The rebate form is even included on the receipt. When I was there the other day, buying the thing, I asked and was told (TWICE!) that the rebate would work with my purchase and that I would be able to get the 5 Free HD-DVD's. I reminded the store of this today, obviously with a different customer service employee, and they just kept giving me the same excuses over and over again. I am thinking about writing a letter to their corporate about this. I could have purchased the HD player at my Wal-mart as they had still been in stock, but since I was making a return to Best Buy and there was the 2 extra HD-DVD promotion I thought it was no big deal. But to be told I am eligible for the free HD-DVD's and then NOT be able to get then... that's just not right.

Anyway, they had someone look at the player and they figured it out. As soon as I brought it home it seems to be working fine now. I guess we'll just see what happens from here.

Last edited by GenPion; 11-04-07 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-04-07, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
You could try and call Toshiba, explaining the situation about the UPC. However, it sounds like you have a Best Buy store which is just lazy and gives disinformation to customers.

If it was me, I'd find some way to buy a boxed player somewhere else. I'd plop that A2 on the BB customer service desk and ask for a refund. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried to deduct you for not having a box when you did return it...
Old 11-04-07, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Anyway, they had someone look at the player and they figured it out. As soon as I brought it home it seems to be working fine now. I guess we'll just see what happens from here.
Probably had something like a Kensington lock to prevent people from messing with the player while it was set to play a particular disc.
Old 11-04-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, people... I have an update. I went back to Best Buy to see what they would do for me. They were able to find my remote. It was in the store. The first guy who checked for me when I made the purchase hadn't tried very hard. They gave me it with no problems. However, they were unwilling to refund me the price difference I should have received for it being a floor model and claimed it was only $100 because of a price-match the store made to Wal-mart. Well, that's a flat-out lie seeing as how Wal-mart was selling them for $98 and some cents, correct? And in any case, the people I talked to did not seem to understand why I was complaining about getting the UPC barcode for the mail in rebate. The receipt I received does not even list the item as open box or anything, it shows up as if a brand new player was purchased. The rebate form is even included on the receipt. When I was there the other day, buying the thing, I asked and was told (TWICE!) that the rebate would work with my purchase and that I would be able to get the 5 Free HD-DVD's. I reminded the store of this today, obviously with a different customer service employee, and they just kept giving me the same excuses over and over again. I am thinking about writing a letter to their corporate about this. I could have purchased the HD player at my Wal-mart as they had still been in stock, but since I was making a return to Best Buy and there was the 2 extra HD-DVD promotion I thought it was no big deal. But to be told I am eligible for the free HD-DVD's and then NOT be able to get then... that's just not right.

Call the toll free Best Buy number and ask for Customer Relations. Calmly and politely explain the situation. They have been very helpful to me and others about situations such as this. If you don't get what you want from one then hang up and call back later. Of course your mileage may vary.

Good Luck!
Old 11-04-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You flew all the way from Germany to go to Kentucky and score a $100 player?

Yes sir, and it was worth every penny

On a side note, for the 5 free dvds...when it asks for 'Serial Number' is that the Serial Number of the Toshiba model or what?

Uber thanks ahead of time
Old 11-04-07, 02:52 PM
Cool New Member

Better than you think actually. I don't post here very often, but I live about 20 miles from that location.
Old 11-04-07, 02:57 PM

just went to my local Circut City. They still have 2 boxes of A2.

Took one and show the cashier the print-out of WM Sales ad., and ask for price-match.

She inisisted I must have actually "printed" ad., not computer print...

No deal...
Old 11-04-07, 03:07 PM

In this weeks Best Buy add Toshiba HD-A3 is $299.
NO IT'S NOT. IT'S $199!!!!

plus you get 300 & Bourne Identity free in the box... WOW can it get any better?? OF course it can.
How about 3 more free HD movies (must be under $34.99) in store right now.
Please tell me there's more you say..
OK you get 5 more free by mail. follow the link below to see you choices & take with you so you don't pick one as your 3 free in store!!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....at135100050035

if they are sold out have a sales person order it for you. Remind them about the 3 free now movies. They will charge you up front for everything. They ship it to the store mine will take 5 days max.

I was gonna wait for the LG duel player 2nd gen on sale.
Now I'm hoping B-ray has a sale like this next week. Getting both systems for under $500 can't be beat.
Old 11-04-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes sir, and it was worth every penny

On a side note, for the 5 free dvds...when it asks for 'Serial Number' is that the Serial Number of the Toshiba model or what?

Uber thanks ahead of time
The serial number is on the label where your UPC is printed.
Old 11-04-07, 05:53 PM

I finally got time to look thru the sunday paper adds. guess what I found.
HHgregg has the HD-A3 for $99 with-out the 3 free in store movies.
I will try to get Best Buy to price match later this week..
Old 11-04-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ds6161
Where is this? And what is this ad?
Old 11-04-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ds6161
Look at the ad closer; it's $99 if you buy a 40" or larger Toshiba TV.
Old 11-05-07, 06:32 AM

There were 2 of the A2 players left at my wal-mart. I also bought a hdmi cable to hook it up with.
When i got home i found out the cable wouldnt connect to my tv.
My tv says "hd compatible" so i figure it must be a dvi input on the back.
I go back to walmart and return the hdmi cable. I buy a hdmi/ dvi cable instead. I got home and find it wont work with my tv either. The dvi end wont fit the slot on the back of my tv. The input on my tv isn't labeled and it looks like a small square shape.
Anyone know what kind of an adapter i will need to make this work?
I was really looking forward to trying out the hd player.
Old 11-05-07, 06:53 AM

Are these still going to be $98 after this weekend sale?
Old 11-05-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davey_4964
There were 2 of the A2 players left at my wal-mart. I also bought a hdmi cable to hook it up with.
When i got home i found out the cable wouldnt connect to my tv.
My tv says "hd compatible" so i figure it must be a dvi input on the back.
I go back to walmart and return the hdmi cable. I buy a hdmi/ dvi cable instead. I got home and find it wont work with my tv either. The dvi end wont fit the slot on the back of my tv. The input on my tv isn't labeled and it looks like a small square shape.
Anyone know what kind of an adapter i will need to make this work?
I was really looking forward to trying out the hd player.

What model is your TV?
Old 11-05-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CC just upped their to $197.99! Even worse, Bestbuyforbusiness now has it for $500.99

Last edited by kenbenobi; 11-05-07 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Pioneer "HD-Ready" rear projection TV does not have HDMI or DVI ports either. What I thought might be one turned out to just be a regular VGA monitor port for attaching a computer. The HD-DVD supposedly works with the component cables though, but apparently upconverting regular dvds is disabled if you are not using HDMI.
Old 11-05-07, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
The HD-DVD supposedly works with the component cables though, but apparently upconverting regular dvds is disabled if you are not using HDMI.
Yup, since I'm watching mine using the component inputs for the time being it always says that upconversion of regular DVDs is not allowed and switches to 420p. I was hoping that this was to do with playing it through the component cables. My HDMI switch is in the mail.
Old 11-05-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Phibes
Yup, since I'm watching mine using the component inputs for the time being it always says that upconversion of regular DVDs is not allowed and switches to 420p. I was hoping that this was to do with playing it through the component cables. My HDMI switch is in the mail.
Hmmm. Before mine stopped working, I was watching upconverted DVDs on my Sony Bravia through the HDMI cable....
Old 11-05-07, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Hmmm. Before mine stopped working, I was watching upconverted DVDs on my Sony Bravia through the HDMI cable....
Did you contact Toshiba? It should still be under warranty if you got it during this sale.
Old 11-05-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes, currently waiting on the Fedex shipping labels to send it in for repair. The tech was very nice, and very apologetic, saying he had not heard of very many machines exhibiting the problem mine does. In fact, I spent the weekend on the internet and only found maybe two others with the same issue. So while I may be out of the HD player for a couple of weeks (once I send it off, it takes them 3 days to look and repair, and two to reship - but I need the labels first), I should have a working player by Thanksgiving. I wish Adobe would treat me this well, but that's another story.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.