Universal Classic Box sets on sale at amazon

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Universal Classic Box sets on sale at amazon

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wowsers, my Hitch and Sturges sets already arrived, ~24 hours after I placed my order. Gotta love Amazon.
Old 10-24-07, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great to hear....gonna pull the trigger and trade in my old Hitch box sets less the Presents disc
Old 10-25-07, 11:57 AM

Thanks, OP. I ordered the Carole Lombard, Cary Grant, and W.C. Fields Vol. 2 collections.
I highly recommend the Marlene Dietrich collection to anyone who hasn't picked it up yet. The three Sternberg films included on it are part of one of the most impressive film cycles in the history of the cinema in my opinion, no exaggeration. The Rene Clair film included, Flame of New Orleans, is also worth having. It's an outstanding value, with transfers on a par with Warners or Criterion Collection.
In case anyone is still contemplating the Cecil B DeMille set, be sure to note how cheap it can be found sealed from Amazon Marketplace sellers: around $14 shipped the last time I checked. I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more than that for those particular films.
Old 10-25-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by arbogast777
$28.49 is a great price on the Preston Sturges set when you consider "Sullivan's Travels" and "The Lady Eve" Criterions are $35.99 each. The 7 movies in that set work out to $4.08 each.
Those are Criterions, though, right? Anyone know if there's a quality difference?

Originally Posted by Ravid
I think those initial volumes have non-anamorphic DVDs of Vertigo and Psycho, but the Masterpiece Collection has anamorphic versions of them.
Hmm, tempting to upgrade my Vertigo. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-07, 01:17 PM

The transfers of The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels rival those of the Criterion Collection releases. A review of the set with frame comparisons between the two can be found here.
My I already had the Criterion releases but I think it's well worth owning them even after picking up this set because of all the extra features.
Old 10-25-07, 02:40 PM

Wow, I ordered both WC Fields Collections yesterday and got them today with the regular free shipping.
Old 10-25-07, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulNJ21
Wow, I ordered both WC Fields Collections yesterday and got them today with the regular free shipping.
My free shipping has always been pretty quick, but a 1-day turnaround? That's hard to imagine. Somehow it must have gotten entered into their system as a 1-day shipping and you didn't get charged for it.

Whatever the case, good for you!
Old 10-25-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Sturges and Demille sets came very fast.

Track your package

Date Time Location Event Details
October 25, 2007 09:09:00 AM NY US Delivered
October 25, 2007 04:49:00 AM NY US Arrival Scan
October 24, 2007 08:45:00 AM JERSEY CITY NJ US ---
October 24, 2007 --- US Carrier notified to pick up package
Old 10-25-07, 04:01 PM

Regarding the Sturges set, this is the only way to purchase Christmas in July, The Great McGinty and Hail the Conquering Hero, as well as the lesser The Great Moment. The Palm Beach Story has an individual release that's cheap and The Lady Eve and Sullivan's Travels, as mentioned, are also available from Criterion. So not even counting the two Criterion titles, that's less than six dollars apiece for the other five, four of which are bona fide classics and just about as funny as anything made in the decade. It's really an essential classic movie set, I think.
Old 10-25-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought the Hitchcock set used from another DVDTalker about a year ago for $60 and was very psyched about that price. This price is amazing!
Old 10-26-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PaulNJ21
That's great - I ordered the Sturges and Durbin Collections yesterday (24th) and got this today:
Shipment Date: October 25, 2007
Estimated Arrival: November 9, 2007

Last edited by dmkb; 10-26-07 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-26-07, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't believe nobody else is ordering the 6-title Deanna Durbin set.

Delivery estimate: November 6, 2007 - November 12, 2007

1 "Deanna Durbin Sweetheart Pack (Three Smart Girls / Something In the Wind / First Love / It Started with Eve / Can't Help Singing / Lady on a Train)" DVD; $13.49

1 "Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection (Big Brown Eyes / Kiss and Make Up / Thirty Day Princess / Wedding Present / Wings in the Dark)" DVD; $13.49
Old 10-26-07, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I picked up both John Wayne sets. Thanks for the heads up OP.
Old 10-26-07, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up to the OP! Just ordered the W.C. Fields Collection Vol.2. Had been putting off buying it because of budget problems, but couldn't pass up the price!

Hoping for a Vol.3 to round out his major films, but this is Universal we're talking about...
Old 10-26-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the heads up
Old 10-26-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have been holding out on the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection since it first came out, and could not resist at this price, so I ordered it. Also got the Karloff Collection.

So is there any reason for me to keep my old individual DVDs of Psycho, Rear Window, or The Birds (other than to have the individual artwork/cases)? Any difference in the features?
Old 10-26-07, 02:10 PM

In regard to the Durbin set...what is their appeal? I enjoy older movies. Love the Andy Hardy series. Do the Durbin movies hold up to the test of time?
Old 10-26-07, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Thanks for the heads up

What are you trying to do, increase your post count? This is your third post in this thread. Your last post makes it look like, you're posting in this thread for the first time.

BUSTED
Old 10-26-07, 04:41 PM
Cool New Member

I am also interested in each of the glamour collection sets presented here. But they would be COMPLETE blind buys. Much like thursdaynighter, I ask, any suggestions?

ElCambio's post has me interested in the Dietrich set. Does anyone have anything else to offer about the other collections here? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 10-26-07, 06:14 PM

I second the Dietrich set for what it's worth
Old 10-26-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dvbn722c

What are you trying to do, increase your post count? This is your third post in this thread. Your last post makes it look like, you're posting in this thread for the first time.

BUSTED
I hope a posting cap isn't enforced around here.

Anyway, my last post was an attempt at being facetious. It was in response to consecutive posts with:

Originally Posted by Living Dead
I picked up both John Wayne sets. Thanks for the heads up OP.
Originally Posted by Albert71292
Thanks for the heads up to the OP! Just ordered the W.C. Fields Collection Vol.2. Had been putting off buying it because of budget problems, but couldn't pass up the price!

Hoping for a Vol.3 to round out his major films, but this is Universal we're talking about...

Thanks for noticing my activity in this thread though, I'm flattered.
Old 10-26-07, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by novaag
I am also interested in each of the glamour collection sets presented here. But they would be COMPLETE blind buys. Much like thursdaynighter, I ask, any suggestions?

ElCambio's post has me interested in the Dietrich set. Does anyone have anything else to offer about the other collections here? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
I have all 3 sets, my favorite is the Lombard collection, but I can't keep my eyes off her. "We're not Dressing" with Lombard, Ethel Merman, George Burns and Gracie Allen is worth the price.
Old 10-27-07, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thursdaynighter
In regard to the Durbin set...what is their appeal? I enjoy older movies. Love the Andy Hardy series. Do the Durbin movies hold up to the test of time?
Durbin has been described as a poor man's Judy Garland. Your best bet is to read the comments section on this set at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/2yvk7c
Old 10-27-07, 06:05 PM

I got my order today and the Carole Lombard Glamour Collection was missing its outer plastic slipcase. This fits OVER the shrinkwrapped DVD case (not sure why they did it this way instead of putting on the shrinkwrap last) so it probably could have come off in the warehouse. It also looks like it might have been re-shrinkwrapped, but I don't want to start any unfounded rumors here.
This isn't one of those unnecessary cardboard slipcases that Universal often that simply reproduce the image of the coverart below. This is a translucent part of the cover art itself, and without it the spine is blank, making it harder to tell which DVD it is.
Old 10-30-07, 10:08 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Originally Posted by ElCambio
I got my order today and the Carole Lombard Glamour Collection was missing its outer plastic slipcase...... This is a translucent part of the cover art itself, and without it the spine is blank, making it harder to tell which DVD it is.
I just got the Lombard set, and my copy was also missing the outer slipcover. I'm going to send it back. Hopefully they'll send me back a new one with the cover. As you said, the slipcover is required due to the blank front and spine.

I also ordered the Mae West and Dietrich sets. Both had the slipcover. Looking at them, I don't think the Lombard set was re-shrinkwrapped. I think the cover just came off. And since the slipcover goes over the shrinkwrap, there's no reason for anyone in the shipping dept to think it's incomplete.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.