Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Movie Stop: Trade 4 get new release free

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Movie Stop: Trade 4 get new release free

This promo has been around for a little bit and I found a really old thread but it was when they were doing it for 3 titles.

Basically you trade in virtually any 4 DVDs (just no public domain 1$ DVDs) and you get a new release free.

Not only that but they will credit it at $20 so I just did it this week to get the 2 disc Transformers DVD for $3.

I believe this will work on TV releases and preorders (you will probably have to pick it up the week of release).

Great deal if you have duplicate DVD's or are trying to condense the collection.

Here is a link to locations.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=502985
Old 10-18-07, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd add that they have to be releases from major studios and have cover art. I saw the list of studios last time I was in, I'll try to get it and post it. I know that Kino releases don't count, neither do wrestling DVDs. They do take former rentals, but will take $.75 off if they're scratched up.

This definitely works on TV sets, box sets, HD-DVD, Blu-ray and all preorders (doesn't matter when you pick them up). I've been using this deal for over two years.
Old 10-18-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
Basically you trade in virtually any 4 DVDs (just no public domain 1$ DVDs) and you get a new release free.
It also only works on the new releases that come out that particular week you trade in or preorders. You can't get a "new" release that came out last week.
Old 10-18-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmello
It also only works on the new releases that come out that particular week you trade in or preorders. You can't get a "new" release that came out last week.
It used to be any new release from their "New Release" wall, which usually covered the past several weeks. Maybe this has changed, as there's not one close enough that I can visit often.
Old 10-18-07, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bmello

I mostly buy my dvds from Moviestop and trade in for new releases all the time. Your right, you have from the release day Tuesday through Monday to trade in for a new release. You will have to pay extra for a new release if its MSRP is over $19.99, but its only 3 or 4 bucks.

The older policy was trade 3/1 Free and you could choose off the new release wall whatever you wanted. IMO, this was way better because they would keep new releases on the wall for atleast 2 months. Now with the newer policy which has been going on for most of the year is trade 4/1 Free and you only have a week to get a new release and you can't choose anything from the new release wall that didn't come out that week. One benefit that this policy has over the older one is that you are able to trade in for boxsets and tv shows that are newly released. You will receive a $19.99 credit towards whatever new release boxset or tv show you want, but if you preorder the boxset/tv show set they will use the lowest sale price available and your $19.99 credit. For instance, I did this for Seinfeld and only had to pay $10 after the tradein and preorder.
Old 10-18-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by vcuram
I'd add that they have to be releases from major studios and have cover art. I saw the list of studios last time I was in, I'll try to get it and post it. I know that Kino releases don't count, neither do wrestling DVDs. They do take former rentals, but will take $.75 off if they're scratched up.

This definitely works on TV sets, box sets, HD-DVD, Blu-ray and all preorders (doesn't matter when you pick them up). I've been using this deal for over two years.

Thanks for the clarification. So you can preorder at any time with the trade ins and then pick it up at any time? That's cool, might have to preorder some movies then.
Old 10-18-07, 11:09 PM

Yeah, they'll print you out a reserve slip after you trade the four. You just take that in with you to pick it up (they never actually need it for me, some stores may be different) and you'll owe $20 less than what the sticker price is.

Also, they price match their new releases with the lowest advertised sale price at b&m stores.

I'd also find out which employees don't care as much or don't follow strict rules. Their computer system makes it easy for employees to change prices at their own discretion. I go to the same cashier every time I'm there and she usually hooks me up with coupons or discounts. She makes sure I'm getting the best deal possible.

Also, there are two Movie Stop coupons floating around. The first is 50% off any used title $11.99 or less. The other is for an extra $4 trade in credit. They're reusable and just photocopied, so I'll try to get some scans up at some point.

Sorry for the long response, but I love my Movie Stop!
Old 10-19-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
I love Movie stop. We have the only one in the state, and between them and Amazon, thats where I get all my movies. Using Gamestops Edge card for 10% off used dvds is nice also.
Old 10-19-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck
I love Movie stop. We have the only one in the state, and between them and Amazon, thats where I get all my movies. Using Gamestops Edge card for 10% off used dvds is nice also.

Whoa....whoa....whoa.....you can use the edge card for an extra 10% used DVD's at movie stop?

I didn't know that! Cool.

And vcuram if you could post those coupons that would be great.
Old 10-19-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Whoa....whoa....whoa.....you can use the edge card for an extra 10% used DVD's at movie stop?

I didn't know that! Cool.

And vcuram if you could post those coupons that would be great.

Mmmmm hmmm. Even better when they have a managers b2/3g1 special
Old 10-19-07, 09:22 PM

I'll pick up some coupons on Tuesday and scan them. My coupons are a little worn out.

I always forget about using my Edge Card at Movie Stop. I probably only use it one out of every four times I buy used stuff there.

Also, another little trick about trading for new releases there. Say you go in on a Saturday looking for the week's new releases. By Saturday, many of them (especially BD or HD-DVD, which they only get a few copies of) are gone. You can still trade towards that title and it'll be reserved for you. They'll call you when they get more in. I did this with the Troy DC HD-DVD. They didn't get a shipment on the Tuesday it came out, I traded 4 towards it, then got it two weeks later when they got it back in stock.
Old 10-19-07, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
really at my moviestop you can trade in wrestling DVDs and small movie studios DVDs with the 4 DVDs for 1 new releases deal ever sines they change it from 3 DVDs for 1 new releases to 4/1 new releases LOL
Old 10-19-07, 10:34 PM

Heres the list of studios from the flyer they gave me:

Anchor Bay
Columbia/Sony
Buena Vista
Dreamworks
First Look Pictures
Fox
Genius products
Hart Sharpe
Lionsgate-Artisan
Magnolia
MGM
New Yorker Films
Paramount
Sony Music/Wonder
Think Film
Universal
Vivendi
Warner Bros

And for the anime fans:
ADV
Bandai
Geneon/Pioneer (i'd hold on to these...)
Funimation
Gold Hill Media
Manga Video
Media Blasters

Ive got a copy of the 50% off $11.99 and under coupon, but it says for the Citrus Park (tampa) location only. Hopefully the OP's coupon doesnt specify a location.
Old 10-22-07, 12:57 PM

Are there signs in your stores regarding this deal? I went to the South Attleboro MA store over the weekend and there were none, and the employee on duty wasn't aware of the promotion.
Old 11-06-07, 07:41 AM

Just a heads up for Columbia House members. There is a code "802561" that will net you 20 crappy dvds for $80~. The good thing is that not only will you earn $120 in Funcash at CH.com, but the dvds are also eligible for the Trade 4 deal @ Moviestop. So it equals out to Paying $80~ and getting around $220 back in credit.
Old 11-06-07, 10:58 AM

Just a heads up to Movie Stop shoppers, a little birdie told me that this deal is going away soon. Corporate hasn't told employees a date yet, but it's coming. If you've been saving up a bunch of trade-ins like I have, you may want to think about taking them in soon and using them for preorders.
Old 11-06-07, 06:19 PM

The Movie Stop store near me (Orlando/Kirkman Rd) stopped the promotion today. Really sucked because I spent the weekend weeding out my collection only to be one day late to trade in for some pre-orders.
Old 11-06-07, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by k_lodge
The Movie Stop store near me (Orlando/Kirkman Rd) stopped the promotion today. Really sucked because I spent the weekend weeding out my collection only to be one day late to trade in for some pre-orders.
Yikes. It still worked for me today, I was able to score Seinfeld S9 for 4 old DVDs and $10. I have about 75 DVDs to trade in, hopefully the deal will still be going on tomorrow.
Old 11-07-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They went from trade 3 in to trade 4 in, now nothing. Who buys new releases at this store anyway? They used to match CC & BB @ $14.99 but now they are $17.99. Plus, Hollywood Video 3 for $20 and Blockbuster typically has them beat on prices of newer used DVDs anyway. The used HDDVD and BluRay are $17.99 and up which isn't a deal. How long will this place last?
Old 11-07-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course. My favorite store has to go and piss everything away. Hopefully I can do some tonight.
Old 11-07-07, 08:31 AM

I heard the same thing yesterday about the 4/1 offer ending. At first I thought they were going to bump it up to 5/1 which would be ridiculous considering dvd prices today. Granted 4/1 is a bit of a stretch, but managable. I guess its time for one last big tradein before its finished.
Old 11-07-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pork chop sandwiches! Just called the manager at my store, and she said Corporate has ended it, and they have taken down their signage about it. But for at least a week, if the customer mentions it, they still have to honor it. So better get those trades in before weeks in!
Old 11-07-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LoPan5705
I heard the same thing yesterday about the 4/1 offer ending. At first I thought they were going to bump it up to 5/1 which would be ridiculous considering dvd prices today. Granted 4/1 is a bit of a stretch, but managable. I guess its time for one last big tradein before its finished.
I don't know, so many titles there have so little trade in value, that even if they made it 5 for 1, that's still $4 apiece which is a lot better than the $1 or $2 value they give you without this deal....
Old 11-07-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Pork chop sandwiches! Just called the manager at my store, and she said Corporate has ended it, and they have taken down their signage about it. But for at least a week, if the customer mentions it, they still have to honor it. So better get those trades in before weeks in!
They are still allowing it at the store here in Midlothian, VA....just took in 36 and reserved me 9 Blu-ray discs this evening....going to try and get another 24-28 in for more upcoming high-def reservations before they pull it!
Old 11-07-07, 08:09 PM

Are there any stores in Massachusetts? Wikipedia says yes, but the link in OP says no. If yes, where?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.