Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

$5 Target gift card w/Transformers Exclusive Deluxe Edition (Transforming DVD Case)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

$5 Target gift card w/Transformers Exclusive Deluxe Edition (Transforming DVD Case)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Please delete if this has already been posted. I went to my local Target today and just happend to scan the $24.99 Transformers Exclusive Deluxe edition using their in-store scanners. When the price came up, it also stated on the right side that you also get a $5 gift card.

At checkout, I asked the cashier if it came with gift card and he told me to go talk to another guy (I'm assuming a supervisor). I showed him receipt and gave me the Transforming $5 gift card (shown in the ad) with no problems.

This may be very YMMV and i'm not sure if this applies to the single disc version (in the ad it states you have to buy Bumblebee toy along with single disc version). Scan it using the in-store scanner and see if the $5 gift card message shows up. If they give you any problems when you check-out, either tell them what the scanner shows or take them to an in-store scanner and show them.

Last edited by alfredog1976; 10-16-07 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I went there I read a sign that said you get the $5 gift card with the purchase of the dvd and an exclusive transformers toy.
Old 10-16-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That's cool, in the ad it says only for the one disc version so I guess you got lucky.
Old 10-16-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
i stopped in taget this morning.
to get the transforming dvd and maybe the toy set.

the deal is suposed to be the 2 toy set and the 1 disc dvd get a $5 gift card.

i asked the guy were the toys were and he said they must be sold out.
"while supplies last"

i pointed out this was a deal that needed to have the transformers dvd to work, the dvd just came out today so how can you not have the toys available?

"oh let me check"
so he scanned the shelf tag and said." oh there's one left. let me get it"
so he comes back a few minutes later with THREE boxes of the toys.

so i grab one and had the transforming dvd in hand and he says "you know the gift card is only for the regular 1 disc dvd."
"oh yeah, ok thats messed up."
he also mentioned that he hoped kids will get to open these toy sets to be able to play with them.
ok mint in box police target guy whatever.

anyway at register it rang up and did offer the $5 gift card too.

so the toys, transforming dvd and $5 gift card.
Old 10-16-07, 11:18 PM

^ LOL so you have to buy the toys and the dvd. but not the dvd you want, the cheaper one. and the toys are hidden in the back, and the employees don't know what's going on. BRILLIANT!!
Old 10-16-07, 11:26 PM

I don't understand how people that work in these retail stores can be so clueless at times. I walked into my local Kmart one afternoon looking to see if they carried any Blu-Ray DVDs because my Wal-Mart has like 1.

I asked the lady in electronics if they had Blu-Ray and she said "I don't know, I'm just covering someone's shift while on break" Then as I was about to walk away, the original Electronics worker walked up and asked me what I was looking for. I said I was wondering if you carried any Blu-Ray movies and without blinking she said "I don't think we have that movie,no"

So shouldn't people working electronics actually know about electronics?
Old 10-16-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by HappyRabbit
So shouldn't people working electronics actually know about electronics?
Not if they work at KMart, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.
Old 10-17-07, 12:35 AM

How much effort would you put in for min. wage?
Old 10-17-07, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuck. I got the transforming case and didn't get a toy or a $5 gift card. Son of a bitch.
Old 10-17-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the Transforming case at Target last night, and asked the cashier about the $5 gift card, which comes up on the red scanner throughout the store. The manager came over and said he didn't know why it wasn't coming up automatically, so I walked out with a $5 gift card -- no toys necessary.
Old 10-17-07, 10:49 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by bookcase3
I picked up the Transforming case at Target last night, and asked the cashier about the $5 gift card, which comes up on the red scanner throughout the store. The manager came over and said he didn't know why it wasn't coming up automatically, so I walked out with a $5 gift card -- no toys necessary.
Tried it. Didn't work. Oh well. What do I need with a toy anyway...

... oh wait, I got a case that transforms into a toy.

Hehe.
Old 10-17-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to buy the single disc version and the toy to get the $5. I wanted to buy the 2-disc. But, they said it was the single disc only.
Old 10-17-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TOLEN
I had to buy the single disc version and the toy to get the $5. I wanted to buy the 2-disc. But, they said it was the single disc only.
If it bugs you that much, why not just buy the toy and 2-disk DVD separately?
Old 10-17-07, 04:09 PM

I should've gotten the Target version to begin with. I got the $29.99 set from Best Buy which comes with 2 figures that barely move (I thought they would tranform) and a crapy lithograph.
Old 10-17-07, 04:48 PM

I just realized I didn't get a GC either (got the regular edition), and the promotion was the reason I got it from Target to begin with.

They had a similar deal at Target on House S2 - with that, when the cashier rang it up, there was an alert on the register that I was due a GC. He had me pick one out and he activated it. Simple.
Old 10-17-07, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by scottp120
I got the $29.99 set from Best Buy which comes with 2 figures that barely move (I thought they would tranform) and a crapy lithograph.
Those figures are from a line from Hasbro called Robot Heroes and never transform. They are meant to be geared towards younger kids but are a big hit with collectors along with the Star Wars line of Galactic Heroes. The Best Buy set is the only way to get these two, the battle damaged movie version of Prime and Cliffjumper (although CJ was released in a special limited pack at WM).

Last edited by Woof Woof; 10-17-07 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was able to get the Deluxe Edition with the Gift Card and the 2 bumblebees. I then applied that to my next purchase of another Deluxe Edition which came to 19.99.

I thought that was a good deal.
Old 10-18-07, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Wait a second. You guys are actually buying the toy right? Not getting it for free. But a couple of you were able to get the $5 gift card without buying the toy because of what it says on the receipt?
Old 10-18-07, 02:11 AM

Maybe they want the toy. I do, but they were all sold out.

And for the record I like the Robot Heroes line. Not enough to buy a whole other dvd set though. That money could buy me more toys. ^^
Old 10-18-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I purchased the toy but I believe it was $10.99 or 15.99. I needed to purchase it with the deluxe edition to get the $5 gift card.
Old 10-18-07, 04:21 AM

I like the Heroes line too, great idea by Hasbro.
Old 10-20-07, 06:33 PM

I bought the Bumblebee 2-pack for $16.99 and the Deluxe Edition for $24.99 last night and got the $5 gift card automatically. The receipt shows the whole "package deal" combination. So the deal definitely wasn't just for the regular edition like the ad stated and no haggling with the cashier is required to get the gift card. Maybe they changed this officially later in the week? The shelves sure are chock full of the transforming packaging version around here so maybe it didn't sell as well as they expected. Wal-Mart has plenty of their exclusive as well.

Only 1 out of 3 stores I was at this week even had the Bumblebee 2-pack in stock. Most of them sold out at full price the week before when they got put on the shelf. Deluxe Bumblebee has been the hottest toy in stores since the movie came out and this 2-pack of both versions was guaranteed to be scoffed up. Target definitely had no need to put it on sale for less than $19.99.

I hear a lot of people in stores complaining about the "non-transforming" Transformer toys. That's modern toys for you, toys geared to collectors who never plan to take them out of the packaging. A lot of parents who are new to Transformers are confused by that and I think a lot of kids will be disappointed Christmas morning when they get non-transforming Transformers. And a lot of stores will be seeing them returned afterwards. Isn't it false advertising to call something a Transformer that doesn't transform? It looks like about half the versions of the movie characters Hasbro puts out don't actually transform.
Old 10-21-07, 12:37 AM

re: "How much effort would you put in for min. wage?"

I am sorry for being 'off topic' but this really irritates me. If you have integrity, don't want to look like a moron, and care about what you are doing for however many hours a week, you SHOULD know what is going on, or CARE what is going on, or TRY to find out what is going on. I think it's sad that the attitude is they don't pay me enough to make any effort, when it should be that if you feel that way, get a different job. Maybe the next guy will care.

As far as the Transformers goes, to get back to the topic... How come no one is complaining about having SO MANY exclusives? If there weren't any now, and then 6 months later they all came out, wouldn't most be complaining of 'double dipping?' This is amazing - like 'super-dipping' with all the exclusives and no one seems upset, just excited. What gives?
Old 10-21-07, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by whotony
he also mentioned that he hoped kids will get to open these toy sets to be able to play with them.
Um, it's not meant for kids - the movie is rated PG-13! How many 13 year olds do you see playing with toys? Sure, they could give the figure to younger kids that might appreciate the toys, but then what do the parents do with the DVDs that come in it? This kind of thing is aimed directly at collectors.
Old 10-21-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
target guy was taking about the actual toys not the dvd toy thing.

but anyway that 2 pack exclusive really isnt intened as a toy but as a collectible item.
the large row of transformers is were parents should go for oalyable toys for kids.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.