Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon: Family Ties, Season 1, $11.99

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Amazon: Family Ties, Season 1, $11.99

Following in the steps of some other finds on Amazon recently, I came across Family Ties - The Complete 1st Season for $11.99. Not sure if it's a mistake, a price drop, or what - but I've never seen it that cheap anywhere both in a store or online.

Amazon Family Ties Season 1
Old 09-23-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For $11.99 shipped (with PRIME shipping), I'm in. Thanks OP.
Old 09-23-07, 01:42 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
There are two have gun will travel complete third seasons listed. Anyone know the difference as one is discounted to 18.00?
Old 09-23-07, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks op. Actually been waiting on this one for a nice price - afterall, the dad is beardless in this season - tough to pay too much for THAT!
Old 09-23-07, 07:55 AM

Fuck it - I'm in for one!
Old 09-23-07, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in for one, but people might want to note this from a reviewer:

"Paramount has totally let true fans of classic television down with this much-anticipated release. Due to music issues, a handful of episodes (4 or so) have some original broadcast scenes deleted! This is completely unacceptable. They could have changed the music (which is bad enough in my opinion), but to delete the scene entirely is ridiculous! As much as I loved this show, I can't bring myself to support this set"
Old 09-23-07, 08:20 AM

That really does suck BUT i'm not going to sit around and wait for a new edition that will never arrive..
Old 09-23-07, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by starman9000
I'm in for one, but people might want to note this from a reviewer:

"Paramount has totally let true fans of classic television down with this much-anticipated release. Due to music issues, a handful of episodes (4 or so) have some original broadcast scenes deleted! This is completely unacceptable. They could have changed the music (which is bad enough in my opinion), but to delete the scene entirely is ridiculous! As much as I loved this show, I can't bring myself to support this set"

Thanks for the heads-up. As mcuh as I love the show, I'll pass. I have plenty of stuff to watch that has not been butchered by a lazy release.
Old 09-23-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks! My wishlist is being chipped away at lately.
Old 09-23-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just my 2 cents worth... I don't know if it's HD-DVD and BluRay or just the way things are, but I keep noticing how TV series on DVD come out in the $20-$40 range and if you wait a year (or in the case of Family Ties less than 6 months, I think) notice how they often go down into the $10-$15 range. Getting Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, some Simpsons, 24, and The Fall Guy in the $5.99 to $14.99 range lately just reinforces that $14.99 is my highest price point. I want the latest Everybody Loves Raymond and Seinfelds, but I'll keep waiting for $14.99 or better.

I wonder how long until Welcome Back Kotter S1 goes down to $11.99 at Amazon... probably not long. Welcome Back Kotter is pretty bare-bones, but has a few extras. The Family Ties set is totally bare-bones (no extras) and some episodes are edited (as was mentioned). IMHO, the Family Ties and Kotter sets should've had a $14.99 MSRP to begin with. I haven't bought a new release DVD on release week since Shooter (about $7.99 AR at FYE). I'm much happier about the prices I pay for my DVDs now that I've learned patience pays off.

That said, Family Ties is one of my favorite old TV shows and $11.99 is about what this bare-bones set is worth.
Old 09-23-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn, I paid $29.99 for this at Best Buy back in February. I know I should wait for these DVDs to go on sale, but I just can't help it, I like having them when they first come out. I definitely have more money than patience.

Rob
Old 09-23-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
Damn, I paid $29.99 for this at Best Buy back in February. I know I should wait for these DVDs to go on sale, but I just can't help it, I like having them when they first come out. I definitely have more money than patience.

Rob
Rob,

Since you've had the set since February, do you have any input on the issues brought about up about deleted scenes and/or other thoughts about the quality of the set? I've already placed my order, but perhaps another opinion would be helpful for anyone who might be on the fence.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 09-23-07 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 10:38 PM

thanks OP, I loved this show as a kid but couldn't bring myself to pay retail. This deal helps take the sting away from the Bears game tonight. Rex should die.
Old 09-23-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Rob,

Since you've had the set since February, do you have any input on the issues brought about up about deleted scenes and/or other thoughts about the quality of the set? I've already placed my order, but perhaps another opinion would be helpful for anyone who might be on the fence.
I'm afraid I won't be much help. I haven't watched the set since back when I first bought it, seven months ago. I didn't even notice any deleted scenes at the time, but that's probably because I hadn't seen the show in years. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the show has held up, at least for me. Sometimes, I'll buy a show I loved as a kid, and find that it just doesn't have the same appeal it once did, but that wasn't the case here at all.

Rob
Old 09-24-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Manzana
Just my 2 cents worth... I don't know if it's HD-DVD and BluRay or just the way things are, but I keep noticing how TV series on DVD come out in the $20-$40 range and if you wait a year (or in the case of Family Ties less than 6 months, I think) notice how they often go down into the $10-$15 range.
There are very few TV shows on DVD I will buy brand new when they first come out for that very reason. I refuse to buy most seasons sets for more than $20-$25.00, and more than $50.00 for HBO sets (though they seem to be going lower, as they are with Big Love season 2.)

Family Ties is just one more example of why it's worth waiting.