Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

New Walmart Display - $3.98 Paramount Titles

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zbu
So what's the difference between the two-disc and the three-disc again?
Post 191
Old 09-29-07, 10:48 PM
Zbu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abintra
Duh me. Thank you.
Old 09-30-07, 01:41 AM

Went back this morning after work where I knew I could sit on the ground and go through all the dvds, including the side they have blocked by another display without people stepping on me or staring at me. Looked through every copy of WTC on the hidden side but not one 3-disc set.

I did find the last copy of Perfume (I'm thinking that between me and my friend we actually got every copy our store had. They were all hidden in the back behind other dvds... all three of them.) that I'd be willing to trade for WTC 3-disc if anyone is interested.

Also grabbed The Hours (WS), Tomb Raider 2 (WS), Match Point (WS), and a wig for my Amy Winehouse halloween costume.
Old 09-30-07, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by lCraZyaZnl
Checked my local Walmart with no luck here in Richardson TX.
Walmart at Coit/Spring Creek and Park/Tollway both had displays.

Including a new 5 bin I ended up picking up 12 dvds.
Old 09-30-07, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by lCraZyaZnl
Walmart at Coit/Spring Creek and Park/Tollway both had displays. ...
Thanks for the tip ... went by Park/Tollway and Arapaho/Monfort ... no 3 disc WTCs at Park/Tollway (several 2 disc) but Arapaho/Monfort had several 3 disc WTCs left at 9:30 this morning ... didn't see Perfume or Little Miss Sunshine at either store ... but still managed to buy 13 DVDs including two $5 offerings from the Scary Movie display at Park/Tollway (didn't see the display at Arapaho/Monfort ... but it may be there cuz I wasn't looking for it) and one from the $5 bin ...

Last edited by ChipHP; 09-30-07 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
anything in Nashville?
I looked at the Walmart on Nolensville road and I didn't find anything.
Old 09-30-07, 06:41 PM

I found the display this weekend at 4 Wal-Marts in eastern PA (Whitehall, Lehighton, Tamaqua, and Hazleton). All of them have the 3-sided display, not 4-sided. Hazleton had 2 displays, back-to-back. No stores had any 3-disc WTC, just a half of a side shelf full of the 2-disc in every display.

A couple of these displays did have several copies of The Brady Bunch Movie (part 1 only, WS) which I don't see in the list in the first post. Not sure if there are multiple editions of that but this one looked pretty bare bones. It rang up correctly for $3.98.

I did see 1 copy of The Island in one of the displays which no one reported yet. I didn't price check it so I don't know if someone dropped it in there by mistake.

I saw no Pretty in Pink special editions, only the original pressing, and no Mission: Impossible 3 2-disc edition, which I saw one person in this thread mention they found.

Perfume was available in small quantities everywhere, Hazleton still had 3 of them.

I got the last Molly Maguires in Hazleton and I think most of the other stores were already sold out of it...a definite hot pick in this PA coal-mining region where the older people are still steeped in resentment and bitterness about coal mining for any number of reasons. They used to show this movie in school when I was growing up.

Last edited by JediJones; 09-30-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 06:59 PM

Why did every store carry 3 copies of Perfume?...Did anyone else find a 2 disc MI3 because all I found was 1 disc. Thanks.
Old 09-30-07, 07:50 PM

Ceres, CA

Checked out the supply at the Ceres, Ca store where I found no display, but...many of the $3.98 titles were mixed into the $5 bin. Only a few of the sale titles were present:

Match Point (many copies)
Dickie Roberts (many copies)
The Chumscrubber
Yours Mine & Ours (1 copy)
The Stepford Wives (1 copy)
Elizabethtown
Barefoot in the Park (4 copies)
Marci X
Paycheck
Dreamer
Dear God (1 copy)
The Hours
She's the Man (1 copy)
Dear God (2 copies)
The Hours
The Gambler (1 copy)
North Dallas Forty (1 copy)
The Wool Cap (1 copy)
Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (1 copy)
Heller in Pink Tights (1 copy)
The Bad News Bears (1 copy)
The Stepford Wives (1 copy)
Alfie
Star Trek Nemesis (1 copy)
The Manchurian Candidate
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (FoolScreen) (many copies)
Tomb Raider Cradle of Life
Timeline
Tupac: Resurrection

Of course Ceres is a Mexican town now, they have a separate Espanol $5 bin that carries more stock than the English language bin. Maybe a corporate decision was made that this store didn't need even a full display of titles for this sale, so the stockers just dumped it in the bin.
So for you folks who can't find a display at your local WM, check the bin.

I decided to buy their only copy of Some Kind of Wonderful: Collector's Edition
Old 09-30-07, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
i picked one up, along with a 2 disc MI3. Thanks to the OP by the way!
I don't know, but Trevor quoted here is the only one I've seen posting he found the 2-disc Mission Impossible 3 so far. Anyone else finding these? Are they easy to spot as being different from the regular edition by looking at the top security sticker?
Old 09-30-07, 09:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by JediJones
I don't know, but Trevor quoted here is the only one I've seen posting he found the 2-disc Mission Impossible 3 so far. Anyone else finding these? Are they easy to spot as being different from the regular edition by looking at the top security sticker?
Someone else mentioned it, which is why I looked for it. And yes, the top security sticker clearly marks it as the 2 disc. I only found maybe 7 of the 2 discers out of maybe 50 MI2s total.
Old 09-30-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I picked up a copy of WTC three disc set for the sale price. They actually had quite a few copies of it.
Old 09-30-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Milpitas, CA

No display setup

Oakland, CA (near Oakland Airport)

Had a small display of the $3.98 titles setup. A fair selection but many of titles that people were finding were missing. I had a feeling that a lot of the $3.98 titles were mixed into their gigantic $5 bin, but I really didn't feel like digging.

Neither store had Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, which bummed me out after having to sit through an hour of traffic to get to both of these places.
Old 10-01-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing again at the Hamilton PLace Mall Walmart in Chattanooga, TN. Probably the ONLY deal I would be interested in at Walmart in YEARS and I can't find any.
Old 10-01-07, 03:01 PM
Cool New Member

I was at the store in LaGrange, Il and picked up Failure to Launch, but it rang up to $9.44. There were like 10 in the display, so they gave it to me for $3.98, but they immediately started pulling all of the other copies out.
Old 10-01-07, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They had the display where I live. They had a few 3-disc versions of WTC, but no Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.

But somebody that works there put in the display almost 2 dozen copies of the 2-Disc Extended/Unrated/Widescreen version of Death Proof.

I picked one up, went to the nearest counter and asked for a price check. She ringed it up at $19.96, but I told her that there was almost 2 dozen copies of it in the $3.98 display. She went and looked and said I was right. She changed the price down to $3.98, then took off $3 because of the price mistake (Is that some kind of Wal-Mart policy to do that if there is a mistake in price?).

I got Death Proof for 98 cents! Here's the receipt as proof.

I could say YMMV, but this might be a mistake of somebody that works there.
Old 10-01-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
I just found all of these in southern Wisconsin. I think somebody asked about Wisconsin a few pages back.

I just bought: M:I-2, M:I:III, The Last Kiss, Match Point, WTC (2-disc), The Chumscrubber, The Hours, Catch Me If You Can, and I only saw one Perfume, which I bought.
I've been searching all over So. Wisc. for the 3-disc WTC, but can only find the 2-disc. Darn it!!!
Old 10-01-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by snorlaxnut

But somebody that works there put in the display almost 2 dozen copies of the 2-Disc Extended/Unrated/Widescreen version of Death Proof.

I picked one up, went to the nearest counter and asked for a price check. She ringed it up at $19.96, but I told her that there was almost 2 dozen copies of it in the $3.98 display. She went and looked and said I was right. She changed the price down to $3.98, then took off $3 because of the price mistake (Is that some kind of Wal-Mart policy to do that if there is a mistake in price?).

I got Death Proof for 98 cents! .
You SUCK!!!
(sorry, that's just my jealous rage)
Old 10-01-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by snorlaxnut
Yes, the policy is that if something rings up wrong (up OR down) you get $3 off your purchase. I used it recently on some of the 5.00 halloween titles, which are labelled "4.54" or something on the shelf...
Old 10-01-07, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally found the 3 disc set of WTC. There were two displays back to back. One display had only 2 discs and the other had only 3 discs. I did not see any copies of of the 2 disc MI:3.
Old 10-02-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Yes, the policy is that if something rings up wrong (up OR down) you get $3 off your purchase. I used it recently on some of the 5.00 halloween titles, which are labelled "4.54" or something on the shelf...
Anyone have a link to Wal-mart's policy on these price adjustments -- I'm looking online but can't find it.

I just returned from a trip to one of my wal-marts. They finally had the $3.98 display up--only it was labled $7.50! I took a couple to a price checker and confirmed they truly were $3.98. I bought them but figured the $3 additional off was only for a mistake where the item rang up higher than the shelf price. FangsFirst, you indicate if it rings up incorrectly either way, you get a discount. If I find out for sure, I'm heading back over to see if I can get these titles for 98 cents!
Old 10-02-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
Anyone have a link to Wal-mart's policy on these price adjustments -- I'm looking online but can't find it.

I just returned from a trip to one of my wal-marts. They finally had the $3.98 display up--only it was labled $7.50! I took a couple to a price checker and confirmed they truly were $3.98. I bought them but figured the $3 additional off was only for a mistake where the item rang up higher than the shelf price. FangsFirst, you indicate if it rings up incorrectly either way, you get a discount. If I find out for sure, I'm heading back over to see if I can get these titles for 98 cents!
They don't even have their regular pricematching policy online!

Best thing to do is look for a red sign near any registers that says "We Guarantee the Low Price and the RIGHT price!" or something like that. The policy is stated on those.

I think some stores have taken them down in a fit of rebellious prevention of money bleeding, despite no change on company level in the policy (it's actually that they ring things up with a price override and reason code 1, which is for mis-scans, which the computer training tells you, but the physical people in the store usually tell their cashiers to always use reason code 4, which changes ONLY the price, without the $3 savings)
Old 10-02-07, 12:48 PM

Burke, VA has WTC 3xDVD version
Old 10-02-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
The display at the Walmart at Fuquay, NC is gone. It was barely touched 2 days ago, but now it's disappeared.
Old 10-02-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fargo ND has about 5 copies of the 3 disc WTC left, they also had most of the others including Perfume. (I saw that best of He-Man set in the $5 rack too)

Last edited by starman9000; 10-02-07 at 01:45 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.