DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Forum question re: Amazon DOTD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/511416-forum-question-re-amazon-dotd.html)

Shoveler 09-09-07 09:25 AM

Forum question re: Amazon DOTD

I was just starting to bemoan (to myself) the fact that so many "Amazon DOTD" threads are now appearing. Not that I consider them worthless info, because I don't, I appreciate knowing about these deals. but i was wondering if it might be worth creating a "One and Only Amazon Deal of the Day" thread, and then the first post in that thread could be updated daily. Just a thought, I figured I'd toss it out there for consideration and discussion.

riotinmyskull 09-09-07 09:41 AM

i agree with this but i doubt one person would want to update the first post daily...so why not just have it be a normal thread.

DVD Polizei 09-09-07 10:00 AM

Usually, the DOTD threads disappear quickly from the main page. The only reason you see a few, is because for one, I posted in the Oz DOTD where the video transfers are just insane and anyone with a widescreen, beware.

So, I wouldn't worry about the threads just yet. If the DOTDs stay active, way after they were expired, it's for a particular reason.

Trevor 09-09-07 10:13 AM

Yep, I think they're fine the way they are. It is rare to have this many DVD deals, and everyone would have to look at the thread every morning to see if they are missing something worthwhile.

hilts 09-09-07 10:38 AM

I like it the way it is. Let the threads die a natural death.

punit 09-09-07 10:42 AM

If DVDTalk would give me the option to update the title of the thread, i'm more than willing to maintain a single thread and keep editing the first post with new deals in the first post. :)

Cardsfan111 09-09-07 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yep, I think they're fine the way they are. It is rare to have this many DVD deals, and everyone would have to look at the thread every morning to see if they are missing something worthwhile.

The e-mail I received about today's DOTD indicated it was a 'TV Week Deal' which explains the recent increase in DVD deals. I agree also that the current set-up works well...so long as the date is clearly listed in the thread title (which it has).

tasog37 09-09-07 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by punit
If DVDTalk would give me the option to update the title of the thread, i'm more than willing to maintain a single thread and keep editing the first post with new deals in the first post. :)

I think this is the best option. That way we still have the ease of just glancing at the subject line, the convenience of having a place to discuss the deals, and we're not cluttering up the main page when and if deals get good.

Trevor 09-09-07 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by tasog37
I think this is the best option. That way we still have the ease of just glancing at the subject line, the convenience of having a place to discuss the deals, and we're not cluttering up the main page when and if deals get good.

I don't think we should be so cavalier about changing thread titles. Thread titles should rarely be changed in my opinion.

Just a random example: Say we have a deal of the day on Firefly. In the course of that thread (which hopefully lasts no longer than 48 hours), there is some good discussion or links about the title. Later, you need that info and don't remember the exact thread. Ok, maybe not a great example but there are other reasons for not changing thread titles.

As to the clutter problem, what clutter? Even in the extreme chance of us getting one DotD worth posting, it's still only one thread a day, that should die on its own within a couple days max.

Just my two cents.

tasog37 09-09-07 03:44 PM

Just a random example: Say we have a deal of the day on Firefly. In the course of that thread (which hopefully lasts no longer than 48 hours), there is some good discussion or links about the title. Later, you need that info and don't remember the exact thread. Ok, maybe not a great example but there are other reasons for not changing thread titles.

Hmph. I actually hadn't considered that. It's not a bad impulse, but wouldn't searching still bring up the info? Nonetheless, I can understand not wanting to page through a thirty page topic looking for something specific.

Trevor 09-09-07 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by tasog37
Hmph. I actually hadn't considered that. It's not a bad impulse, but wouldn't searching still bring up the info? Nonetheless, I can understand not wanting to page through a thirty page topic looking for something specific.

Depends on how you search.

In my above example, searching for firefly in titles only would not find it if we had generic DotD thread.

And if you searched for firefly inside all posts, it would break the internet.

This should be moved to the feedback forum I guess.

davidh777 09-09-07 08:27 PM

And if you searched for firefly inside all posts, it would break the internet.

lol

DVD Polizei 09-09-07 08:48 PM

If you think you'll like a thread, then bookmark the sucker because it will go into the vast database of DVD Talk.

mayorofsmpleton 09-09-07 09:19 PM

I kind of like a new one for each deal, personally.

punit 09-09-07 10:34 PM

Let's wait for a couple of more days. If Amazon keeps giving DVDs in it's Gold Box deals, then we can have a poll to decide whether to maintain a single thread or go for 1 per day. ;)

JB7 09-10-07 06:57 AM

I personally like the individual threads for DOTD. They drop off pretty fast, unless people report when theirs arrived.

Hey it can't be any worse, then all those Heroes threads we had!

dollfins1 09-10-07 07:09 AM

they are each worthy of their own thread. keep 'em coming!

NatL 09-10-07 08:05 AM

I think a good argument for having 1 thread is that until I signed up for the DOTD email alert I was often afraid I had missed it on here. I also wonder sometimes what some of the past ones have been.

Getting the Buffy Chosen collection for $100 was just so good I just can't imagine missing something else...

N

wm lopez 09-10-07 10:14 PM

Was THE SERGIO LEONE anthology one of those deals and what was the price?

dollfins1 09-10-07 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Was THE SERGIO LEONE anthology one of those deals and what was the price?

yes it was. cost like 35.xx.