Reload this Page >

X-Files "Ultimate Collection" coming, $260.68 at DVD Empire

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

X-Files "Ultimate Collection" coming, $260.68 at DVD Empire

Old 08-11-07, 07:38 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
So what kind of deals can be had on the season sets now? I own the first three seasons (from the original release when they were like 129$ a piece) but never filled out the run due to them being so ridiculously expensive.
If you're a member of Costco, then every so often they will have the original releases in store for around the $25-$30 mark. If you chekc back here then it usually gets mentioned and can be YMMV
Old 08-11-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Costco anywhere near me

I see DD has them for 30 a season so perhaps i just need to wait for their big fall sale.
Old 08-11-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you can expect a price drop on the current slim case sets when the "ultimate" hits the streets. At the very least, I would think many of those who buy it will be selling off their current sets. Look for an abundance on eBay and the usual used DVD sites.

I, too, picked up all the current editions either during a Buy.com B1G1 sale or by using the BB Fox coupon.
Old 08-11-07, 09:38 AM

As an owner of the "original" releases w/ the bonus discs I can only say they don't hold much replay value. I have watched all my bonus discs 1 time, and I bought all the sets the day they were released. Paying $100-125 for each set does leave me feeling slighted a bit now that you can get the sets for 20 bucks (or cheaper). I do like the original packaging better than the slim cases. At least they didn't screw me over like comedy central is now w/ the new complete series of Dr. Katz. I buy the first 2 seasons the day they come out, then the wait for the 3rd only to find out it will be a complete series, so now I get to buy 2 seasons over again.

This brings me to Stargate SG1. I have seasons 1-9, shall I buy season 10, or sell them all and get the complete series w/ 4 bonus discs. Also, does this mean I should stop buying seasons of Stargate Atlantis because a complete series will come out eventually? I'm leaning towards f**k the bonus discs since they are never really that good to begin with. If the packing is cool I hope they make it available for purchase. Experience also tells me that its not worth it as most complete collections change the the way the discs are housed, and not in a good way.

Worst packaging I have seen is for one of my favorite shows Wire in the Blood. The R2 releases are 16:9 and uncut (unlike R1) but they stacked 3 discs on top of eachother in an amaray case housed by a misshapen plastic slip cover.

Last edited by skacore; 08-11-07 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-11-07, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
After buying all the sets at the sale price, I sure hope this is not true.
Why? I never understand why people throw fits like this. Almost everything comes down in price, especially electronics and related goods, after years or even months of being on the market.

You might as well just stop buying anything from now on so you won't get upset when you find that it will be cheaper after awhile.
Old 08-11-07, 02:58 PM

^ i'm guessing that maybe they just bought them at best buy's $20/season fox sale like two weeks ago. if that's the case, that would've brought the total to $180. this is after waiting several years since all seasons were already released to finally purchase them. now, a mere two weeks later, a COMPLETE SERIES set with seasons/movie/mythology and cool packaging is announced. it's the timing that's annoying. considering the series was out completely on dvd for like 3 years now (right?) why did it take so long to announce a series set? although i suppose we could've guessed that's why the season sets were on sale for so cheap... to clear stock/shelf space for the new set
Old 08-11-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by docdoowop
DVD Empire is carrying a listing for "X-Files: Ultimate Collection", with a release date of November 6th. List: $329.98, their price $260.68. No other information available except the UPC code, and a Google search comes up dry. I know there was an "Ultimate" set in the UK.

http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...1361&searchID=
What do you get for the extra 60-80$ if you bought all these sets at sale? (14.99 I believe was the cheapest I saw)
Old 08-11-07, 07:01 PM

^ you get the movie (~$10 value, i guess?), cool packaging (~$20 value... i'm basing this on the "friends" collector's box that you could send away for if you bought the season sets... they charged $20 which was supposedly only for shipping/handling to send you the box to store your sets in) and the mythology bonus... don't know if it's just bonus discs that are new to the box or repackaging of the 4-disc sets that are sold separately from the series, though that seems unlikely. so with that in mind, there's still close to $50 that you're paying simply for mark-up/profit purposes for the retailer/studio?
Old 08-11-07, 07:24 PM

Anyone think they will release another complete collection if the x-files sequel ever gets made and released on dvd?
Old 08-12-07, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes they will..
Old 08-12-07, 04:08 AM

Up now for pre-order on Amazon for 230.99.
Old 08-12-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been a huge X-Files fan, and I bought all the seasons within the first month of the being released for over $100 EACH. However, I had a roommate that absolutely destroyed a lot of the discs, so I'll be picking up this ultimate collection for sure.