Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

LOTR RotK DVD Question

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

LOTR RotK DVD Question

Old 08-08-07, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTR RotK DVD Question

I stopped by my local Gamestop today to see if they had any new used DVDs I wanted (I just got my license unsuspended and Gamestop and Big Lots were the two of the first places I went... I believe that may be the sign of an addiction.) and the only thing that caught by eye between all 400 copies of Men in Black II was the 4-disc edition of Return of the King.

I don't like the LOTR movies as much as I feel I should and had put off buying them until now but for 5.99 (plus 10% off) for my favourite movie in the series, it seemed like a good deal. I was about to buy it but then remembered the new versions that came out earlier this(?) year. Is the 4-disc edition still the best version out and should I go back tomorrow and hope no one else noticed it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and thank you in advance.
Old 08-08-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SeymourGams
I stopped by my local Gamestop today to see if they had any new used DVDs I wanted (I just got my license unsuspended and Gamestop and Big Lots were the two of the first places I went... I believe that may be the sign of an addiction.) and the only thing that caught by eye between all 400 copies of Men in Black II was the 4-disc edition of Return of the King.

I don't like the LOTR movies as much as I feel I should and had put off buying them until now but for 5.99 (plus 10% off) for my favourite movie in the series, it seemed like a good deal. I was about to buy it but then remembered the new versions that came out earlier this(?) year. Is the 4-disc edition still the best version out and should I go back tomorrow and hope no one else noticed it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place and thank you in advance.
4-disc version is the best. That's an excellent deal. Now, drive slowly on your unsuspended license and go pick it up.
Old 08-08-07, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wannabe
4-disc version is the best. That's an excellent deal. Now, drive slowly on your unsuspended license and go pick it up.
Haha Thanks. Do you know what the major differences between the two sets are? Are there new things in the recent editions or is it just a condenced versions?
Old 08-08-07, 02:13 AM

i believe the newer two-disc versions of the extended edition do not have DTS tracks, whereas the four-disc extended versions do. the two-disc extended editions have both the theatrical version and the extended cut, whereas the four-disc has only the extended cut. so those would be the major differences in regards to the movie itself. the supplemental material is entirely different on each set. four-disc has lots of featurettes, etc. and two-disc has a new single documentary which encompasses most aspects of the filmmaking process. other forum members, please correct me if i'm wrong on any of this information. this is just off the top of my head, so i'm not 100% sure this is right.

all-in-all, i would recommend the four-disc set, especially if it's at such a great price.
Old 08-08-07, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
all-in-all, i would recommend the four-disc set, especially if it's at such a great price.
That is exactly what I wanted to know, the 4-disc version sounds better for me. Thanks Shyguy (love the name btw)!