DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   30% of all Criterion dvds @ Barnes & Nobles (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/508469-30%25-all-criterion-dvds-%40-barnes-nobles.html)

dman988 08-07-07 09:06 PM

30% of all Criterion dvds @ Barnes & Nobles

This is in-store and online.

It's in the newest Criterion newsletter.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/bout...2.asp?PID=9260

This should be awesome.

NoirFan 08-07-07 09:08 PM

Unless you use DVD Planet.

FangsFirst 08-07-07 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Unless you use DVD Planet.

yyyyyyeah...instore might be handy if you hate ordering, but otherwise it's outdone by DVDPlanet...

souvenir 08-07-07 09:59 PM

Not outdone by DVD Planet if you're a member (10% off + 15% off 1 item coupons every week), especially if you have the B&N Mastercard which earns an additional 5% off your total.

g 08-07-07 11:12 PM

Sales tax dilutes the savings even with those. Plus dvdplanet has coupons and points.

BJ 08-08-07 01:02 AM

They weren't on sale at my local B&N -- I had the cashier price check it.

PopcornTreeCt 08-08-07 01:09 AM

There's also a 10% coupon floating around for non-members which brings the price down to dvdplanet level. However, the coupon is only good on 1 item and not the entire order.

yeldarb367 08-08-07 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by BJ

I'll swing by my B&N and try later this week. Anyone else try this out yet?

cerulean 08-08-07 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by souvenir
Not outdone by DVD Planet if you're a member (10% off + 15% off 1 item coupons every week), especially if you have the B&N Mastercard which earns an additional 5% off your total.

Or you can pay with Discover card linking through their website and get 5% cashback.

Too bad there's no discount at the stores. A B&N near me has one each of most current Criterion titles displayed together on shelves. Makes for easy browsing.

hiccup 08-08-07 11:35 PM

Does anyone have a link to the 10% off non member coupon?

I think the 30% off + 10% (and maybe I'll finally sign up for a membership) will be some good deals. Mainly I just want The Third Man and a few others, but that should equate out the savings.

Sondheim 08-08-07 11:47 PM

No luck at the Barnes and Noble here in Provo, Utah. I asked the employee in the DVD area and he informed me that there was no such sale going on.

Which is too bad, since I had a gift card that was just itching to be used (I decided to buy some books instead, oddly enough.)

Here's the 10% off for non-members coupon:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/thiswe...id=K3787&byo=1

BJ 08-09-07 02:43 PM

Even though the sale isn't in-store, I did notice that some of the titles had a 10% off sticker, which if combined with one of those 15% coupons (assuming it can), and the 10% member discount, amounts to only a few dollars more than buying online.

ASAPadam 08-09-07 03:01 PM

10% off one item:
Online Coupon P9W8T7C
Offer Details:
This coupon can be redeemed once at any Barnes & Noble retail store and once online at bn.com per customer. This coupon is not valid at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores. The 10% discount will be applied to one (1) item in the purchase as designated by the customer, not the entire purchase. Online, the discount will be applied to most expensive item in the order.
Expires Aug. 19.

Laser Movies 08-09-07 03:05 PM

If you have a Paypal account might want to use this coupon to take $10 off $40 or more purchase.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/cds2di...1&cds2Pid=9481

Go here to find a list of other coupons available for Barnes and Noble.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....5&page=5&pp=25

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pim...ng$5Off_03.gif

Coupon D9U3D3W Details:

This coupon can be redeemed once per individual with a purchase paid in full with PayPal® of $40 or more of eligible products.

The minimum purchase must total $40 prior to application of the standard Barnes & Noble Member discount but after any other discounts. The $40 order minimum excludes applicable sales tax, shipping and handling expenses, and purchases of Online Gift Certificates, Gift Cards, Gift-Wrapping, Barnes & Noble Memberships (including Membership renewals, bulk orders of 50 copies or more of the same title, or any products provided via Barnes & Noble BookQuest LLC (including but not limited to used books and PC & Video Games). This offer is only valid for purchases made at bn.com and its mirror sites and is not valid on purchases made in any Barnes & Noble or Barnes & Noble College retail store or from third parties accessible from our site.

Except for the standard Barnes & Noble Member discount, and other percentage discounts generally available on products sold on Barnes & Noble.com, this offer may not be combined with any other coupon or discount promotion. This offer is available while supplies last and is not redeemable for cash, cash equivalents or Gift Cards. Returns or cancellations which affect the minimum purchase price may result in forfeiture of discounts applied at the time an order is placed and you will be responsible to pay any such adjustments; we reserve the right to charge your PayPal account or debit your Gift Card in the amount of such adjustments and will notify you via e-mail of such charge or debit. This offer is available for a limited time and is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor orders with valid methods of payment placed prior to such change or discontinuation. Barnes & Noble.com is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors. This offer expires at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time on September 6, 2007.

yeldarb367 08-09-07 03:17 PM

I think I'm going to order Yojimbo/Sanjuro for $34.06 A/C. Thanks for the 10% off and $10 off coupons Laser! :up:

Edit: Aw man. They aren't stackable. I thought I was going to be able to use the 10% code on B&N's site and the $10 off code on Paypal's site.

ec461 08-09-07 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by yeldarb367
I think I'm going to order Yojimbo/Sanjuro for $34.06 A/C. Thanks for the 10% off and $10 off coupons Laser! :up:

Edit: Aw man. They aren't stackable. I thought I was going to be able to use the 10% code on B&N's site and the $10 off code on Paypal's site.

Haha, I was trying the exact same thing after seeing the Paypal coupon on Slickdeals yesterday, but then I realized that they don't stack. And then I was very sad. :(

Mr Pixies 08-10-07 12:27 AM

Sweet, thanks for the paypal coupon, I got Sweet Movie ($21 srp $30 title) and W.R. Mysteries of the Organism ($28 srp $40 title) with tax (free shipping) for 41.32. Compared to DVD Planet's regular Criterion pricing, I saved about $3.50. I wanted to see these now, so it's a good enough deal, forgot about Dvd Planet's coupons though, but I'd have to spend more to use their coupons.

PopcornTreeCt 08-10-07 08:26 AM

Interesting not too bad a deal then.

Arpeggi 08-11-07 09:15 AM

This is a great deal for $29.95 MSRP Criterions using the Paypal $10 off. Comes out to $15.99 each + tax, which is exactly 1 cent more than what I paid for my $29.95 ones during DVDPlanet's 20% sale (I live in CA so I have tax).

cgray 08-11-07 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
This is a great deal for $29.95 MSRP Criterions using the Paypal $10 off. Comes out to $15.99 each + tax, which is exactly 1 cent more than what I paid for my $29.95 ones during DVDPlanet's 20% sale (I live in CA so I have tax).

Am I missing something? It says minimum purchase is $40. So, you'd have to get something else. Probably not a great deal.

Spiral Staircase 08-11-07 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by BJ

Hopefully, this will clear up some of the confusion. I emailed Criterion's CEO yesterday and received a reply today:

"Thanks for your note. Sorry for the confusion with this. The copy that someone at B&N gave us to run in our newsletter indicated that the sale would be both in stores and on-line, but B&N corporate only wanted to run the sale on-line. We worked with them (gave them some additional coop) so they have said that the sale would be honored in stores for those customers who asked for it. That being said, it doesn’t look like this news ever got to your store.

We appreciate your support and I hope this worked out ok for you either on-line or with the store ultimately offering you the discount.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Turell"

Arpeggi 08-11-07 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cgray
Am I missing something? It says minimum purchase is $40. So, you'd have to get something else. Probably not a great deal.

Yeah I bought 2.

This is as great of a deal as the 20% off from a few months back. Unless that one was "probably not a great deal" also.

Krelyan 08-11-07 11:39 AM

Right. One $30 MSRP Criterion and a $40 MSRP one or an Eclipse set will put you right over $40 for the Paypal coupon which after tax is only just a tad higher than DVDPlanet's 20% off sale.

souvenir 08-11-07 11:42 AM

The minimum purchase must total $40 prior to application of the standard Barnes & Noble Member discount but after any other discounts.
That makes it a really great deal if you're a member - $13.89 each if you get 2 lower-tier Criterions, before tax.

MikeShaynePI 08-11-07 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by g
Sales tax dilutes the savings even with those. Plus dvdplanet has coupons and points.

If you live in California DVDPlanet charges you sales tax.