Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Found? Less popular new-releases @ B&M (August 2007)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-05-07, 02:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

Every other week it seems I am creating a thread on finding out whether or not lesser known "new releases", that aren't in the ads (or at least all of the ads), are found at a local B&M retailer: like Wal*Mart, Target, Best Buy, or Circuit City and @ what price.

I'm not sure if it will be useful for everyone, but I know I would love to know if someone found it during the week of release, maybe earlier in certain instances so I know if I will have to order it online or just don't feel like searching them all on release day.

"The Monster Squad" was a recent one that didn't get too much attention with B&Ms, but everyone seemed to clamour for. Also, "The Rainmaker" SE, "Red Dawn" SE, ones that you want, aren't the top of a 'speedy1961 weekly new release list' or aren't in the ads at all, but very possible someone will have it.

Does that make sense? I figured a weekly thread might be redundant, so perhaps a monthly one might work?

We could post a title and it's release date for that month and see if anyone has the skinny on if it can be found @ B&M, where and what price if possible.

Looking for in-store:
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" 2-Disc (8/07/07)
"The Dark Crystal" 25th Anniversary (8/14/07)

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-06-07 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 08:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts
Good idea, subscribing, will answer the above requests if I see them anywhere.
Old 08-06-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Good idea, subscribing, will answer the above requests if I see them anywhere.
I'll pitch in too during my sabbatical.

Last edited by speedy1961; 08-06-07 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-06-07, 11:55 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts
thanks for the support guys. i just like to know whether i can get it in-store or have to order online (which sometimes works to the advantage bc with less popular new releases they are oft times cheaper and may ship prior to Tuesday release).
Old 08-06-07, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
thanks for the support guys. i just like to know whether i can get it in-store or have to order online (which sometimes works to the advantage bc with less popular new releases they are oft times cheaper and may ship prior to Tuesday release).
Sorry to get off topic a bit, but except for my exclusives, I buy almost everything thru columbiahouse. $4.80 average per title is hard to beat. Just wanted to make sure you knew that option Scott.
Old 08-06-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedy1961
So.... you can't post any of your ads anymore just because of CC???
Old 08-06-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
Darn. I guess this means it is going to apply to all 3 stores and not just CC? I missed your official announcement I guess.

Can you post the ads on Saturday, since many people get them on Saturday anyway?

But then, that is a lot of work for very little benefit, as we can all check the ads ourselves on Sunday AM at the latest.
Old 08-08-07, 06:58 AM

I saw the new Invasion of the Body Snatchers at a few different places in my rounds, I know BB and WM for sure, but may have been a couple more as well.
Old 08-08-07, 09:12 AM

I was told that Invasion of the Body Snatchers was delayed until September, but found several copies at my local Borders.
Old 08-08-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The Monster Squad" was a recent one that didn't get too much attention with B&Ms, but everyone seemed to clamour for. Also, "The Rainmaker" SE, "Red Dawn" SE, ones that you want, aren't the top of a 'speedy1961 weekly new release list' or aren't in the ads at all, but very possible someone will have it.
I can say for sure that TransWorld didn't order enough copies of The Monster Squad, and at the FYE I work at, we were sold out within the first day. The company is completely out of stock of the title, and we're waiting for another shipment from the distributor.

My store does have Red Dawn SE, but that's just because I ordered a copy for our store ahead of time (I tend to do most of the merchandise requests at the store). We haven't gotten in our Rainmaker SE yet.

Looking for in-store:
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" 2-Disc (8/07/07)
"The Dark Crystal" 25th Anniversary (8/14/07)
We do have the Invasion Of The Body Snatchers: SE. FYE has it for $19.99 retail (and on sale for $14.99). I haven't seen The Dark Crystal: SE (or the Labyrinth: SE, for that matter) in our shipment yet, but those titles have always sold well, so I'll imagine that we'll get some copies in.
Old 08-08-07, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
My store does have Red Dawn SE, but that's just because I ordered a copy for our store ahead of time (I tend to do most of the merchandise requests at the store).
MTRodaba2468, I hope you don't mind me asking, but I need a volunteer who works at a Transworld store to help me out with the exclusives threads. Would you be interested in letting me know about all your free posters, bonus discs, etc ? I know that it is random, but it seems like you average at least one sort of exclusive per week. Got some poster with pre-order this week if I recall, that phone card w/ Disturbia, the 300 disc.... I know we end up missing a lot of those exclusives, because I find something new the once a month or so that I make it into a FYE.

Sorry to threadjack all, just trying to keep those threads as thorough as possible.