DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Akira Signature Edition $8.47 shipped at Walmart.com (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/507979-akira-signature-edition-%248-47-shipped-walmart-com.html)

Mosskeeto 08-02-07 12:21 AM

Akira Signature Edition $8.47 shipped at Walmart.com

The single disc Signature Edition is available for $7.50 plus $0.97 shipping or arrange to have it shipped free to your nearest Walmart for pick up.
Akira (1D)
Oops; don't forget to add sales tax. My total was $7.50 + $0.97 + $0.71 tax = $9.18

orion1998_1 08-02-07 09:27 AM

is this a good blind buy?

Lecithin 08-02-07 09:52 AM

Didn't Entertainment Weekly recently list Akira as one of the best Anime films?

Anyway, don't know about this Signature series 1 disc, but they gave the Special Edition a B+ on their review:

Akira: The Special Edition (2001)
By Marc Bernardin

There was a time -- oh, let's call it 1988 -- when the world of feature length animation was all but dominated by Disney. And it wasn't even good Disney -- it was ''Oliver & Company'' Disney. ''The Little Mermaid'' was still a year away from ushering in the great American animation renaissance. Cartoons were still seen as just for kids. And then ''Akira'' came out.

Written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo, ''Akira'' was unlike anything Americans had seen before -- at least, Americans who hadn't scoured comic book and sci-fi conventions for bootleg videos of Japanese anime. It's a violent, brooding, mature, quasi intellectual tale of life after World War III in the neon nightmarish city of Neo Tokyo, where cycle gangs terrorize the streets, the military conducts experiments on children, and giant teddy bears demolish hospitals.

Armed with a digitally restored anamorphic image and a new Dolby Digital 5.1 sound mix, the first platter of the two-disc Akira: The Special Edition offers the movie (with a newly translated English dub, as well as the original Japanese with English subtitles), which you can watch with the aid of what's called the ''capsule option'' -- occasionally, a pill-shaped graphic will float over certain scenes, clueing you in to when more information is available, like the translation of Japanese graffiti and road signs.

The second disc holds the supplements: documentaries on the film's production, sound design, and restoration; an interview with Otomo; storyboards; conceptual art; trailers; and a glossary of the film's terms. They're a little dry -- primarily because so much of it is either subtitled or dubbed in English, and the passion that these artists have for their work is lost in the translation.

Much like Steven Spielberg's recent project ''A.I.,'' parts of ''Akira'' are as well directed as anything you'll ever see, but there are also sequences -- especially the last half hour -- that are just mind-bogglingly daft. And, much like ''A.I.,'' it's no less of an achievement because of it.

Sweet Baby James 08-02-07 10:02 AM

It has been $7.50 at my local WM for a couple of years now. It's definitely a landmark film in Anime, although many find it too confusing. This is a good deal. However, there is a version that has a Japanese DTS track that is a significant upgrade in sound.

gbub 08-02-07 10:03 AM

A.I.? He couldn't look a little further down his library for a film to randomly compare Akira to.

Funk 08-02-07 10:10 AM

is this a good blind buy?
If you're not put off by anime, I guess. I bought this (I think it was in a tin) when it first came out and, for me, it was like Ambien.

FangsFirst 08-02-07 10:50 AM

Good blind buy, yes. I'd not bother with this edition though, unless you find it instore, as mentioned, has been 7.50 for some time now...