DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Blade Runner: 5-disc HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sets $27.95 on Amazon (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/507875-blade-runner-5-disc-hd-dvd-blu-ray-sets-%2427-95-amazon.html)

Cosmic Bus 07-31-07 10:37 PM

Blade Runner: 5-disc HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sets $27.95 on Amazon

HD-DVD

Blu-Ray

Another of Amazon's price mistakes, so preorder at your own risk!

Sweet Baby James 07-31-07 10:43 PM

There's another listing for the "Ultimate" 5 disc HD-DVD for $69.95(probably the correct listing). I'm going to put in 1 order for $27.95 and see what will happen. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cosmic Bus 07-31-07 10:47 PM

I didn't realize that the 5-disc was available on HD/BR without the whole briefcase, so this probably isn't any special deal after all. This set is roughly the same price on Warner's own site...

A mod can delete this thread if they'd like. :)

MikeShaynePI 07-31-07 10:59 PM

They really need to start making blu-ray and hd in special packaging too. I mean would it be really hard to have the blu-ray case in the briefcase too?

ScottsDvds 07-31-07 11:18 PM

I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Sweet Baby James 07-31-07 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
I'll give it a shot, thanks.

As Cosmic Bus said in post #3, this doesn't appear to be a misprice.

ScottsDvds 07-31-07 11:26 PM

I only see one HD DVD & Blu Ray 5 disc listing on Warner Bros. and they have it for $79.95.

DVD Polizei 07-31-07 11:47 PM

Actually, I think some of you are wrong. Amazon is selling the 5-Disc HD/BR DVD versions for $27.95 but those are the "complete" collection. The Ultimate Collections do in fact have the briefcases included with the HD/BR versions.

Look here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9F2NIJ/dvdtalk

You're paying another $30 to get the briefcase.

So, once again, search for Blade Runner 5-Disc Ultimate HD DVD, and you'll see it come up for $69.95.

Hope this helps.

HockeyMan2000 07-31-07 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
I only see one HD DVD & Blu Ray 5 disc listing on Warner Bros. and they have it for $79.95.

The "Complete Collection" is $29.99 at the Warner Bros. Store.

After the 20% coupon (WBWEL) it's $23.96, so it's actually a better deal even than Amazon (though free ship is only over $60).

If you want the briefcase, the 20% takes it down to $63, a few bucks cheaper than Amazon provided your state isn't charged with tax. Ship is free.

Scroll down here and you can see the different flavors:

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/...matType=HD-DVD

Personally I'm surprised that a 5-disc HD set is under $30...make that shocked given some of the other prices we've seen on HD-DVD & Blu Ray lately.

PopcornTreeCt 08-01-07 12:15 AM

Why can't regular DVD get the 5-disc for that price without the briefcase? Oh, it would be the hottest selling title of the year!

ScottsDvds 08-01-07 12:18 AM

I canceled the regular 5 disc set and ordered the briefcase for $62.95.

docdoowop 08-01-07 04:08 AM

I like the movie...and saw it in the theater during release...but FIVE discs?

xfusejc 08-01-07 04:19 AM

^ They're releasing many versions. Depending on what kind of fan you are, you'll pick up whichever you prefer. They're including like 3 or 4 different versions of the film though, so the amount of discs is proportional.

Anna Karina 08-01-07 04:42 AM

You guys do realize the briefcase is fucking ugly, right?

indianajmb 08-01-07 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Why can't regular DVD get the 5-disc for that price without the briefcase? Oh, it would be the hottest selling title of the year!

I totally agree. What is the point of having of the 4 disc set? I don't want the dumb briefcase but I do want the 5th disc. It would be honestly cheaper to buy the blueray 5 disc AND the HD 5 disc and wait for a format winner than buy the ultimate collector's edition on regular dvd.

dollfins1 08-01-07 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Anna Karina
You guys do realize the briefcase is fucking ugly, right?

it's not just a briefcase. (from amazon)" The Ultimate Collector's Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase. In addition, each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, and collector's photographs, as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott." needless to say i will be buying one.

n.phelge 08-01-07 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
it's not just a briefcase...

I think that point is that some folks don't want to shell out the extra cash for some packaging or toys in order to get the discs/content.

Randy Miller III 08-01-07 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dollfins1
it's not just a briefcase. (from amazon)" The Ultimate Collector's Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase. In addition, each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, and collector's photographs, as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott." needless to say i will be buying one.

In that case, do you realize that the is unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase is fucking ugly, right? ;)

BambooLounge 08-01-07 09:35 AM

Just pre-ordered a Blu-Ray version, figured I might as well considering the fact that they priced the 5-disc Blu-ray a mere $2 or so more than the 4-disc SD-DVD. Not that I have a blu-ray player or anything, but I should have one by the time this ships.

Are you guys sure this is not a price error? I cannot see how its cost-effective for WB to price a 5-disc HD or BR set only $2 more than a 4-disc SD DVD set.

I was going to get the SD-DVD briefcase version, but then I realized I didn't want to spend the extra cash for a Ridley Scott autograph. (the rest of the "toys" don't carry much value to me)

Sweet Baby James 08-01-07 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge

Are you guys sure this is not a price error? I cannot see how its cost-effective for WB to price a 5-disc HD or BR set only $2 more than a 4-disc SD DVD set.

I have to assume that it's not a pricing error since Warner Brothers themselves are selling it for a similar price.

http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/....jsp?OID=22944

BambooLounge 08-01-07 09:57 AM

^ Gottcha. If the added content and lower prices continue as is shown here maybe High Def. media will catch on a little quicker.

ScissorPuppy 08-01-07 10:53 AM

With all the "extra" space on HD DVD and Blue ray, Why the need for 5 discs? Even with the higher quality transfer, doesn't that leave alot of wasted space?

pmreed 08-01-07 10:59 AM

Ought to be getting 10% off I think!!

Jabba_RT 08-01-07 12:17 PM

I'm amazed that I can buy a five-disc HD set for less than I can buy most HD single or 2-disc titles coming out. It seems kind of weird to me...but far be it from me to be attracted to weird things. :P

I just cancelled the Ultimate set and picked up the 5-disc Blu-Ray! Thanks, OP!

Dane Marvin 08-01-07 12:24 PM

Very cheap for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. If everything was like this, I would own a Hi Def media player already. Wake up, dumb studios!!! I'm mad I can't get the 5th disc without owning the stupid briefcase. Honestly, I live in an apartment with my girlfriend who has a ton of stuff. I don't have room for a frickin' fake briefcase. Just give me the fifth disc in SD and I'll pay a few bucks more for it. I don't want a briefcase and all those other things. Looks like the 4-disc SD set for me...