Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Prices: August 5 - August 11, 2007

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy Prices: August 5 - August 11, 2007

Old 08-08-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the felt version of the Muppet Show Season 1 available anywhere? No one seems to mention this on eBay or Half.com.
Old 08-08-07, 09:58 AM

It's too bad that BB didnt mention in their ad about the 2 for $40 deal for the Muppets series as many of us bought the season one at Circuit City for $21.99 already. Guess I could return it and then go to BB but too much of a pain in the rear.
Old 08-08-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bookcase3
Is the felt version of the Muppet Show Season 1 available anywhere? No one seems to mention this on eBay or Half.com.
I would think you could find it used, but it is highly unlikely you'd find it new, except maybe at Borders (I say that only because they are so expensive, it might rot on the shelf for ages)... S1 came out like 2 years ago, and I bought the non-felt version on release day. Those suckers are most likely gone at retail stores...
Old 08-08-07, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheJoker
D'oh!

There was a slipcover for the Extended Edition of Kong?
Didnt realize as all of the ones on shelf and in the bin didnt have any...
I was surprised about finding some with slipcovers. I visited 3 BB stores, and only one had any with a slipcover. Surprisingly also, these were the only ones that didn't have loose discs.
Old 08-08-07, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by consoleman
I was surprised about finding some with slipcovers. I visited 3 BB stores, and only one had any with a slipcover. Surprisingly also, these were the only ones that didn't have loose discs.
I thought they all were supposed to have slipcovers (the ones at my BB did), since the cover itself folds out to reveal the features in the inner flap.
Old 08-08-07, 12:48 PM
Cool New Member

My dad and I both bought a copy of King Kong EE for ourselves, and were both able to get slipcases. Our Best Buy frequently has leftover copies of movies with slip covers that just still haven't been sold by the time a sale for that movie rolls around. I think this last Halloween when Best Buy had a great horror sale, we still had bloodpack copies of Saw uncut.

Also, chalk me up as another success story in getting away with using the Fox $10 off coupon on The Simpsons S10. The lady at the register looked at it for a few seconds, but then went ahead and scanned it, then complained about her coworkers stealing stuff from her register. That's twice I've gotten away with the clerks examining it, then not caring.
Old 08-08-07, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jabba_RT
I guessing this isn't the case; the insert isn't heavy enough to create this sound.

Every one of the 12 or so Kong sets that were at my BB had that crazy rattling going on and only two had slipcovers. I bought one of the ones with the slipcovers hoping for the best.

Once opened, sure enough, Disc 1 was floating around the case. The problem is that Disc 1 is housed on the inside left cover which is pretty flexible and if pressed from the outside could pop off easily. Disc 2 & 3 are overlapping inside the right cover and secure each other this way. The insert book is positioned over disc one with slip-clips.

The floater disc had what originally looked like scratches but easily wiped off and I had no problem playing it.
it's a pretty regular occurrence for me to go to pick up a sale DVD and hear a loose disc... then try all the other copies and have the same thing happen.

so i'm not surprised that happened at all.

i've had it happen to me with Ronin and King Of New York both just within the last two months. first one has a loose disc so i gingerly put it back in the shelf, then try the other nine or ten copies around the store.... and all of them will have loose discs ( except that one with the discs packed in perfectly that has the big scratch across the front of the case. )

my guess is that it's a batch of bad spindles on the keep cases being used, but you're right that when a disc is packed directly inside the front flap of the case that it's easier for it to pop off if it's squeezed just the right way.

anyway it is pretty annoying when that happens.

also i cleaned up at BB today, but i did not see any fuzzy S2 sets of Muppets in my whole store. they did have plenty of everything else, incl Northern Exposure and even Animal House WS edition for 3.99.

Last edited by An4h0ny; 08-08-07 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-08-07, 02:12 PM

Went to the two closest Best Buy's and they were all out of "Shooter" in Widescreen... I decided to just take the flyer and get it at the Base Exchange to price match -- don't feel like driving further, wasting gas, to another Best Buy to find that they're sold out of the Widescreen version too...
Old 08-08-07, 05:36 PM

My local Bestbuy was sold out of the 3 disc King Kong and the Northern Exposure sets. Everything else was pretty much picked over with only one or two copies remaining of everything else. They did have over 20+ copies of Brokeback Mountain though...
Old 08-09-07, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by kunert
The receipt shows each set at $20, so I'm wondering if I could have just returned season 1 later anyway?
Has anyone returned something to Best Buy when they've had their "two for" specials like the two seasons of the Muppet Show for $40? I can't imagine they'd do anything besides credit each item at $20 apiece...

I already have S1 and $20 for S2 is as good a price you'll see. It's hard not to give it a try.

Ps - miss ya Speedy...
Old 08-09-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by ppawuk
Ps - miss ya Speedy...
I miss you too
Old 08-09-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by DeepSleep
My local Bestbuy was sold out of the 3 disc King Kong and the Northern Exposure sets. Everything else was pretty much picked over with only one or two copies remaining of everything else. They did have over 20+ copies of Brokeback Mountain though...
I was told today that my Best Buy had 46 of the King Kong DVDs on order with a truck due to arrive Friday night.
Old 08-09-07, 02:25 PM

for the people that say it was sold out of your store, why dont you just order it offline pay an extra 2 bucks for shipping. its better than paying for gas because you need to go to another bestbuy.
Old 08-09-07, 08:12 PM

I just think you might be risking getting a scratched copy of King Kong Extended if you order it. Best to get it in-store if you can to be sure to get a good copy. I guess I'm lucky living in the city where I have several stores available to me, but I must admit it was a hassle going store to store just to find a non-defective copy. If you only have no other choice, then yeah, order it since $9.99 is probably the best price going but be wary of possibly getting a damaged disk that you'll probably have to go through the hassle of returning for a replacement anyway.

I was just looking at some more of the sale DVDs for this week, and was surprised that Sideways comes with a slipcover in one of the stores I visited. This is for anyone who may be as fanatical as I am when it comes to DVD packaging.

Last edited by consoleman; 08-09-07 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-10-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
I'm REALLY sick of these goddamn slipcovers with no shrinkwrap on them- I checked all the copies of "I Robot" and they all had price tags stuck on Will Smith's face, and I couldn't get any of them to come off so I DIDN'T buy it, even for $3.99.
Old 08-10-07, 07:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Googone or WD40 takes off sticker residue just fine.

Scratched discs? Who the heck cares? They'll still play fine 99.9% of the time.

I of course know these points won't change the OCD of use who cares about these things, just as your advice for my weirdness won't change me.
Old 08-10-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Scratched discs? Who the heck cares? They'll still play fine 99.9% of the time.
Why take any chance that something won't play perfectly when you are buying it new? That's the whole point of buying a new copy. If I wanted a scratched disc, I'd buy it used.
Old 08-10-07, 12:24 PM

Well I had no luck price-matching "Shooter" at the BX, as they were out of stock, but yesterday my roommate was going to go to Best Buy so I decided to tag along and wouldn't you know, they restocked the widescreen version of "Shooter", so I'm happy now
Old 08-10-07, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Why take any chance that something won't play perfectly when you are buying it new? That's the whole point of buying a new copy. If I wanted a scratched disc, I'd buy it used.
That's why I put the disclaimer, I know we'll never change.

But to me, scratches mean nothing, they still play fine. I might check the copies in the store for one that doesn't rattle, but I won't not buy something I want just because there is a .01% chance that it may be unplayable, and even if it is, I just return it.
Old 08-11-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I thought they all were supposed to have slipcovers (the ones at my BB did), since the cover itself folds out to reveal the features in the inner flap.
The Best Buy in Bend, OR had a couple of 3 disc Kings Kongs with beat up slipcovers, but there was a display of $9.99 titles that included the King Kong 3 disc with the slipcover shrinkwrapped...therefore mint.
Old 08-11-07, 01:02 PM

Most BBs only carry the King Kong Extended shrinkwrapped without the slipcover. If it is the shrinkwrapped version you are looking at, I wouldn't think it would have the slipcover. Today's the last day of the sale so buy it while you can.
Old 08-11-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Went to my BB yesterday. Used one of those Fox $10 coupons with my RZ $10 certificate to get Simpsons: S10 for $9.99. Fuck yea. Then I picked up the last copies of both Who Framed Roger Rabbit ($6.99) and SNL: Best of Commercial Parodies ($3.99).
Old 08-11-07, 04:29 PM

i bought the 3 disc extended cut of king kong without a slipcover, now i need to go to a different store and find it.
i even asked the guy if he had any in the back with the slipcover and he said he checked in the morning and there were 2 left.
i managed to get one of those 2, the one i got is in perfect condition but the other one the disc was loose and the case looked beat up it was nasty, but mines was perfect (except that it didnt have the slipcover)
Old 08-11-07, 11:24 PM

Darn...the sale almost over
I wanted to place some orders for instore picku-up and their stupid store locator is not working.
Old 08-12-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm REALLY sick of these goddamn slipcovers with no shrinkwrap on them- I checked all the copies of "I Robot" and they all had price tags stuck on Will Smith's face, and I couldn't get any of them to come off so I DIDN'T buy it, even for $3.99.
I bought a copy and had a real hard time getting the adhesive off with paint thinner which usually works perfectly. But it is now clean and I'm still not sure I really want to keep this title even for $3.99. I did get BB to price match From The Earth To The Moon (CC was OOS) and bought Northern Exposure S1 this past week.