DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hot Fuzz 2-disc exclusive at Wal-Mart

Old 07-31-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Scotts35
Anybody come across the WS set in Maryland?
no luck here .. checked 3 in the Baltimore area and all only had FS 2-packs. I ended up just getting the HD/SD combo disc from Best Buy with the 300 box.
Old 07-31-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All this talk about complaints about people who want fool screen reminded me of when I was at Wal-Mart a few months back. The lady goes up to the video clerk and asks for a movie in HD-DVD and wanted it in Full Screen?!?
Old 07-31-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No luck here either. I just broke down and bought the set from Best Buy.
Old 07-31-07, 07:32 PM

There were only "fool screen" sets here in Woodhaven, Michigan for $20, but that didn't stop me from getting it. I just took the set outside after it was purchased, peeled the bar code sticker for the set off of the shrinkwrap and stuck it on the back of the shrinkwrapped "fool screen" case over the existing bar code.

I then brought the "fool screen" version back in the store with receipt and explained how it was purchased by mistake and that I really wanted the widescreen edition. The nice customer service lady said it was fine and told me to go grab the one I wanted. She then refunded me the $20 for the set and charged me $17 for the widescreen movie only version. So, I ended up with the two disc set for $17.

I feel a little bad for getting away with this, but I was disgusted with this set being nearly impossible to find with the widescreen movie and I did what I had to do. Also, I never intended to get it three dollars cheaper, but I couldn't exactly explain to the lady why I shouldn't be getting it for less. Oh well...I'm happy now to have the set.
Old 07-31-07, 07:33 PM

Only fool screen here in two Jacksonville Wal-Marts. Argh. They didn't even have a spot for the Widescreen so without photo evidence I wouldn't even have believed they exist.

ARGH.
Old 07-31-07, 07:36 PM
Cool New Member

Been to 3 Walmart's on Indianapolis' North Side and have seen nothing but Full Screens.
Old 07-31-07, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone tell me whether the movie disc is individually wrapped inside of the two pack?
Old 07-31-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wasn't going to buy it (going with the R2 version) but I did check at 2 Super WMs and both only had Full Screen, in fact the tag in front had "FS" so I don't think WS was ever there.
Old 07-31-07, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rizor
Can anyone tell me whether the movie disc is individually wrapped inside of the two pack?
Mine was and the 3 that were on the shelf looked the same.
Old 07-31-07, 08:14 PM
Cool New Member

Duarte, CA wal-mart had a good 25-30 widescreen 2-packs for $19.96 when I left a couple hours ago, I was very surprised.
Old 07-31-07, 08:25 PM

About 20 widescreen sets for $19.87 at Wal-Mart in Forest Park, IL (as of 6pm tonight) - they also had 300 (1 disk) for $13.87 - 2 disk for $19.87
Old 07-31-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I passed two Walmarts during my travels today and only found the FS versions w/bonus disc (this was the Anaheim and Orange locations). Its a real pity that the distribution of this is so haphazard.
Old 07-31-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was only able to find a Full Screen 2 pack. I called all the stores around me and none of them have the widescreen edition. I tried to talk the lady into letting me open it and return the FS for the WS but she wouldn't go for it. GRRRR
Is there a way to complain directly to Rouge Pictures?
Old 07-31-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
I can indeed confirm that Wal-Mart will have the bonus disc (I work in the electronics dept. overnight). I looked specifically for the disc last night. It will be a side by side jobber.
Even though I'm only on page 2, I'll ask anyway: Is this with FOOLSCREEN only? I went to two Walmarts. One had nothing and the salesclerk looked at me like I was from outer space. The other one had them, but only in fullscreen. I asked her if she could look it up...apparently there's no need to keep inventory at Walmart?
Old 07-31-07, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
So ... has anyone been able to find this at Wal*Mart in Canada?
Not sure if you already checked or not, but I bought up the 2-pack in Canada earlier today. They were on the top shelf of a display for all sorts of 'newer' releases, and had to stretch to grab it. There were about 4-5 copies that I saw, and all were in Widescreen (thankfully). I went there hoping to find one too, since the one store I called only claimed there was a 1-disc copy, and after numerous calls between 10:30 and 1, the other store had still not taken any copies of Hot Fuzz out of their shipment boxes (although I was told there were thousands of copies of 300 all around the store).

I got it at $27.83. It only was wrapped in the shrinkwrap on the outside, both discs were just stickied together, and did not have any wrap on the inside at all.

And what's up with the spine for the bonus disc?
Old 07-31-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see my question has been answered, having gone through the rest of the thread....seems like if you try five or six stores, you might actually find a WS version.

I'm considering the HD-DVD one, but I don't have a player and don't know how long it will be before I obtain one....

I'd call the other Walmarts in the area, but from my experience they wouldn't be able to look it up on a computer and therefore I'd be forced to hoping that the salesclerk would make a genuine effort and not just look in one spot (if at all) and then say "nope don't have it."
Old 07-31-07, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by harpo787
I see my question has been answered, having gone through the rest of the thread....seems like if you try five or six stores, you might actually find a WS version.
Yup -- I went to 3 Wal Marts before finding 1 widescreen set! Plenty of foolscreen though, just sitting on the shelf...
Old 07-31-07, 10:49 PM

I'm really mad at Rogue for not releasing the R2 version over here. I guess it's just Universal trying to shove HDDVD down our throats. I'm glad that I was able to get the bonus disc, but I really wish that they would have put all of the commentaries on the movie disc.
Old 07-31-07, 11:01 PM

Went to Wal Mart this morning and just complained to the manager that there was only Fool Screen with the bonus disc. Got him to remove the full screen from the shrink wrap and replace it with the widescreen.
Old 07-31-07, 11:24 PM

Last edited by gmerreighnjr; 12-26-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I stopped by the WM in Poway and only found the fullscreen version of the 2-disc. I tried to ask the employee nearby but she wasn't helpful. I ended up at a different WM (Aero Dr) and found multiple copies of both types though and picked up a copy.
Old 08-01-07, 01:23 AM

Here in LA I called the stores in woodland hills and porter ranch, the porter ranch had them in stock, though I had to dig through all of the fs to find a widescreen.
Old 08-01-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will be checking my walmarts later today for the widescreen. I must say that I am annoyed with Universal for putting all the bonus content on the HD-DVD and not the DVD. Show some respect for your customer base especially the majority that own DVD players. Sure, you'll make a few HD-DVD fans happy, but at the expense of making the majority of DVD ones unhappy. Bad business plan. This doesn't make me want to run out and buy an HD-DVD player, either.
Old 08-01-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Don Fishies
Not sure if you already checked or not, but I bought up the 2-pack in Canada earlier today. They were on the top shelf of a display for all sorts of 'newer' releases, and had to stretch to grab it. There were about 4-5 copies that I saw, and all were in Widescreen (thankfully). I went there hoping to find one too, since the one store I called only claimed there was a 1-disc copy, and after numerous calls between 10:30 and 1, the other store had still not taken any copies of Hot Fuzz out of their shipment boxes (although I was told there were thousands of copies of 300 all around the store).

I got it at $27.83. It only was wrapped in the shrinkwrap on the outside, both discs were just stickied together, and did not have any wrap on the inside at all.

And what's up with the spine for the bonus disc?
Thanks for the info! I haven't had the time to check out Wal*Mart yet, because I was busy toting around my Best Buy and Futureshop exclusive editions of 300 and didn't want to be bothered by their greeter and their need to sticker all incoming bags. I'll definitely swing by there today. I hope they still have the 2 packs!
Old 08-01-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Got my copy yesterday...Fool Screen only. But that is ok by me. Snagged the last one too here in Morristown, NJ. There are other Walmart's so I might check around Friday.

Or I will grab a widescreen copy and re-gift the other one.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.