DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hot Fuzz 2-disc exclusive at Wal-Mart

Old 08-02-07, 02:16 PM

I went to 2 different Wal-Marts on Tuesday and both just had the FS 2-packs. So I had to decide whether I wanted the WS format or the extra disc more. I chose the extra disc.

I may trade it in at Blockbuster for the WS copy in a month or so. I don't feel like going through the Wal-Mart Customer Support to return the FS copy. Knowing my luck, it probably wouldn't work anyway.
Old 08-02-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

all the double packs with bonus disc dried up at my walmart. they were all fullscreen and now theyre gone, wonder how many people are swapping them out.
Old 08-02-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chaingunsofdoom
I grabbed a WS version of the set at WM up here yesterday. Price was C$27.83 as previously reported (ouch). [The lowest-priced regular version is C$23.xx up here.] They must've only received a small supply, but there were still a handful left at the store I was at last night.
Where did you purchase your 2 disc set? I'm in Toronto, and I've checked all 4 Wal*Marts in my vicinity, and none of them ever heard of a 2-pack ...
Old 08-02-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh my God, I finally got the widescreen DVD and the bonus disc, but not in a pack together. I used a mixture of two suggestions posted in this thread. Anyway, I'll try to make this as quick a story as possible:

Yesterday, after I saw someone mention contacting the WalMart corporate office, I did just that. I called them, told them how I couldn't locate a store within a 50 mile radius of my location that had the WS version of the two-pack, and they seemed very nice, and took my name, address, phone number, and said someone would call me back. Sure enough, this morning at around 8:30 someone called me back, but it was just some goober, manager or whatever, from my local WalMart. They told me that they didn't even make the two-pack with the widescreen version, not at all, and you couldn't get it anywhere at any WalMart.

Now, I obviously know that isn't true, so I decided to call the corporate office again.

This time I told them that since I couldn't find a store with the WS 2-pack, but could find plenty of stores that had the fullscreen two-pack and then with individual copies of the widescreen DVD, I asked if I could do what pilot mentioned earlier (thanks a lot for the idea!), and go into a store, crack the FS two-pack open, and then just substitute the WS DVD for the FS that was in the pack instead. They said that would be perfectly fine, but they needed to contact someone about it first. They said they'd call me back within two days, at the most, and I said fine.

Then I realized that in two days it's likely that the packs wont even be around anymore, so I called right back, my third call to the WalMart corporate office!

This time I went through it all once again, but told them I need something done today, since in a few days the packs might all be gone. They said they couldn't do anything, but they could give me the phone number to my local district manager. I said fine, and I called the number.

My local district manager wasn't there, but someone in marketing was and they said they could help me. I explained everything, again, and they said that corporate had contacted them earlier, because of my call from the day before and my previous calls the same day, and they also said that it would be fine to split up the FS pack. They asked which store I'd like to do it at, and they'd call and let them know, and then call me right back to let me know that they had it, and that they told them that doing something like that is indeed allowed.

Then it got fun.

They called me back a few minutes later, and told me my local store not only didn't have any of the two-packs left at all, but they also didn't have any widescreen versions of the individual DVD. This obviously really ticked me off, but they asked if they could call another store for me, and I said fine.

I once again waited, and they called me back.

Nope, that store didn't have any packs or any WS DVDs either. I asked them if they would help me call every WalMart store within 30 miles, and they actually agreed. They said they'd call me right back once they found a store with the combo.

I called a few stores while I waited on their call, but I didn't have any luck. They called me back, and they said they found one store, almost an hour away from where I live, that did indeed have one, only one, of the packs with the bonus (full screen though, of course), and they had once, only one, widescreen version of the movie. She asked how long it would take me to get there, and that she'd tell the assistant manager at that store to hold both of them for me.

So yeah, that's what I did. I didn't want to go that far for it, but I was already in far too deep to not go and get it by this point.

As a side note, I had some luck at a CD/DVD store while I was over that way. I found a used, but totally mint in every way, DVD of A Muppet Family Christmas!

I'm still pissed that this was so hard to find, but I'm glad I have it now. I can't believe they sold out so quickly, not just of the widescreen packs (I swear not a single store anywhere close to me even got those in though), but of fullscreen packs, as well as all of the individual widescreen DVDS.

To me, as much as I hate it because it caused me to drive so far away, I love it since it shows that there's a bunch more people out there that are into this movie than I had originally thought.
Old 08-02-07, 07:10 PM

I did the buy-the-FS-2-pack, open, return FS for WS dealio and it worked fine.

The FS-2pack version has a sticker over the UPC that has to be taken off, which was a little annoying but the Returns peep didn't seem to notice or care.

F Walmart.
Old 08-02-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finally bit the bullet and bought a FS two-pack. SInce I have become so familiar with the WalMarts in the area, I figure at least one of them will let me do an exchange for the WS version. And if they don't, I'll either sell it on e-bay or give it as a gift.
Old 08-02-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should've kept checking for these and sold them on ebay.
Old 08-02-07, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Phod
I did the buy-the-FS-2-pack, open, return FS for WS dealio and it worked fine.

The FS-2pack version has a sticker over the UPC that has to be taken off, which was a little annoying but the Returns peep didn't seem to notice or care.

F Walmart.
When you purchased the FS, does the receipt show the UPC or item number of the FS or does it just say Hot Fuzz DVD? Was the receipt needed in order to do the exchange of the FS for the WS?
Old 08-02-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
. . .To me, as much as I hate it because it caused me to drive so far away, I love it since it shows that there's a bunch more people out there that are into this movie than I had originally thought.
Now THAT'S persistence! Glad you were finally able to get what you wanted (plus the Muppet Family Christmas)! I'm also kind of surprised at the seeming popularity of this DVD. Guess I was lucky finding the WS 2-pack after just looking behind a bunch of FSs in the display!
Old 08-02-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, yes, I was quite determined to be successful today after I got more and more involved with the entire process.

I can understand someone putting the bonus disc on eBay, I don't have a problem with that, but this one guy has four of the two-packs listed at the same time (one WS, three FS).
Old 08-02-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Went to Wal-Mart. All the packs were FS.

Went to work at Best Buy. Called another Wal-Mart. They said all their packs were FS. Bought the DVD at Best Buy, in WS.

Went to the Wal-Mart for the bonus disc, expecting to have to return an FS copy. Instead, looking inside of a stack of FSes, I found a couple of WS packs.

Used a bit of Goo Gone to remove the sticker on the back over the UPC (it won't come off, but just rip it so it's all like, the torn paper instead of a solid sticker and it goes off easier) and returned it to Best Buy (despite the DVD not having a security sticker with the title on the top). Plus that ended up making someone's day as he had bought the FS by mistake and was returning it to Best Buy, and we were all out of the DVD. Lucky him.
Old 08-03-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scarredgod
all the double packs with bonus disc dried up at my walmart. they were all fullscreen and now theyre gone, wonder how many people are swapping them out.
Same here at the Bend and Redmond Walmarts in Central Oregon...
Old 08-03-07, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a link to complain about this fiasco.

http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMSto...te.do?catg=221
Old 08-03-07, 06:12 AM

I went to four different Walmarts and the outcome was the same.... nothing.

Walmart.com has added the combo to their site though!! http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=6527776
Old 08-03-07, 06:24 AM

Thanks to the person that added the website link. After hunting several WMs in Minneapolis area, I've given up and ordered online. At least I'll finally get the bonus features that should have been included on the disc to begin with!
Old 08-03-07, 07:28 AM

Another thanks to atlianz... I placed an order.
Now to see if they actually mail the WS version, or if the fiasco continues!
Old 08-03-07, 07:35 AM

Thanks Atlianz. Just ordered mine with budget shipping. It was cheaper than driving around to all of the Walmart stores in a 20 mile radius.
Old 08-03-07, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Awesome! I just ordered!
Old 08-03-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally, it's online! Searched 3 stores this week in Louisville, KY and couldn't find one WS pack.
Old 08-03-07, 09:07 AM

Ugh, now I'm backordered. Crossing fingers, but I am less hopeful.
Old 08-03-07, 09:20 AM

For anyone in the Austin area, I just found the WS 2-pack at the Cedar Park Wal-Mart. They had at least half a dozen left, with a few full-screen as well. The 2-packs were on the New Releases endcap; the cardboard standee specifically devoted to Hot Fuzz was basically empty.

This was my third Wal-Mart... I'd almost given up hope.
Old 08-03-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine is still processing.
Old 08-03-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the link. I ordered the widescreen version and will return the FS if it arrives. Supposedly I'll receive it August 10-16.
Old 08-03-07, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bobweiser
... At least I'll finally get the bonus features that should have been included on the disc to begin with!
Anyone else smell a double-dip coming?
Old 08-03-07, 11:47 AM

Ordered one, thanks for posting that info. I've never been to more Wal-Marts in such a short period of time. Never did find it, either. Hopefully the web ordering works out.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.