DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   (DEAD) Dinner for Five, the Complete Series (S1-S4) - $41.99 shipped @ Amazon! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/506852-dead-dinner-five-complete-series-s1-s4-%2441-99-shipped-%40-amazon.html)

bwsmom 07-19-07 01:27 PM

(DEAD) Dinner for Five, the Complete Series (S1-S4) - $41.99 shipped @ Amazon!

Dinner for Five, the Complete Series

I've heard much about this show but have never actually seen it. Still, the reviews (all two of them) are VERY positive, so for $10/season.....

Enjoy! :)

Peep 07-19-07 02:10 PM

Does this really come out tomorrow? I can't find anybody else selling anything but Season 1 (which is usually out of stock at the places I checked).

Geofferson 07-19-07 02:15 PM

I may pick this up at this price. I caught most of them (and liked it quite a bit).

JackBurton 07-19-07 03:15 PM

EPISODE GUIDE

BambooLounge 07-19-07 03:49 PM

Are we sure this is not some sort of listing error? Has any studio ever released a DVD on a Friday before? If its legit, I may be down for one. As its been said already, not bad for $10/season.

EDIT: DD has Season 1 for only $9.05, this may not be as sweet a deal as originally thought.

clintilona 07-19-07 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Does this really come out tomorrow? I can't find anybody else selling anything but Season 1 (which is usually out of stock at the places I checked).

That's exactly why I'm hesitant to order this set. Season 1 is the only one that's been released or even scheduled to be released AFAIK. Also, the release date of the 20th seems odd. It's too bad...I really want the other seasons of this show and have been waiting for them for quite a while.

jmanlakerfan 07-19-07 04:10 PM

Maybe it's an Amazon Exclusive. I'm sold.

thursdaynighter 07-19-07 05:46 PM

It's a nice show...I'm not sure if I would buy it though...perhaps a rental.

chris_sc77 07-19-07 06:08 PM

yep just ordered my copy today. been waiting on this since i bought the 1st season in August of 04...
Certainly not a bad price for 50 episodes (39 of which havn't been released on DVD before)
I was beginning to think this was never gonna come out.
highly recommended even for a blind buy. This show was insightful and often hilarious.

so it goes 07-19-07 07:19 PM

The picture Amazon shows says complete first season in the corner so I would be careful with this one.

ASAPadam 07-19-07 07:44 PM

Or you can buy just the third season for the same price: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...TA1L4U/dvdtalk

Somethin's screwy here.

ASAPadam 07-19-07 07:53 PM

Here's some info:
http://www.customflix.com/Special/Ab...AA.cfxworker01

"Favreau is making the second, third and fourth seasons of "Dinner for Five," as well as his self-titled "Favreau's Favorites," available only on Amazon.com. Fans can also choose to purchase individual episodes of these seasons, or create their own DVD with up to 10 clips or 90 minutes of video, through the CustomFlix Labs CYOD program."

bwsmom 07-19-07 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by so it goes
The picture Amazon shows says complete first season in the corner so I would be careful with this one.

Well, I've done screen captures of both the product page and my order confirmation, so if they only send Season One, they'll be answering some rather difficult questions down the line...

HockeyMan2000 07-19-07 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by so it goes

But the Complete 1st Season is already available on a separate link for $12.

I don't think there's much doubt this is legit, it's a pre-order and specifically states Seasons 1-4 in the item upon checkout.

DiggityDawg 07-20-07 09:59 AM

It sez "contains all four seasons" in the product description.

Peep 07-20-07 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ASAPadam
Here's some info:
http://www.customflix.com/Special/Ab...AA.cfxworker01

"Favreau is making the second, third and fourth seasons of "Dinner for Five," as well as his self-titled "Favreau's Favorites," available only on Amazon.com. Fans can also choose to purchase individual episodes of these seasons, or create their own DVD with up to 10 clips or 90 minutes of video, through the CustomFlix Labs CYOD program."

Scary. So, if you order Seasons 1-4, you get what? CustomFlix versions? Crappy DVD-R's of the series with possibly no menus or value-added features? That's what it sounds like to me.

Pass!

bwsmom 07-20-07 11:01 AM

Scary. So, if you order Seasons 1-4, you get what? CustomFlix versions? Crappy DVD-R's of the series with possibly no menus or value-added features? That's what it sounds like to me.

Pass!

My guess is that's for Amazon's download section, not what you get boxed from the studio.

Peep 07-20-07 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bwsmom
My guess is that's for Amazon's download section, not what you get boxed from the studio.

I didn't think that CustomFlix were downloads. I though they were burnt DVD-Rs.

whitetigeress 07-20-07 03:23 PM

If this is true. I am going to be very mad. I just bought the first season 2 wks ago.

Geist 07-20-07 04:44 PM

Yeah, what if you just want 2-4?

Shoveler 07-20-07 05:26 PM

Pass!

That's not how I read it.

Favreau is making the second, third and fourth seasons of "Dinner for Five," as well as his self-titled "Favreau's Favorites," available only on Amazon.com.
Period. New sentence...

Fans can also choose to purchase individual episodes of these seasons, or create their own DVD with up to 10 clips or 90 minutes of video, through the CustomFlix Labs CYOD program.
So anyone who doesn't want the entire run of seasons 1-4 can purchase individual episodes of those seasons. But in my interpretation (and it seems pretty clear to me), that second sentence is not intended to suggest that the Amazon.com offering is through the CustomFlix Labs CYOD program. Two seperate options.

Shoveler 07-20-07 05:33 PM

I'm in, blind buy for me, but I've heard many good things about this show. Looking through the episode list, the OCD side of me will demand that I watch the seasons and episodes in order, but I cannot possibly wait for episode 3.9 (I just hope it's not a letdown!).

TheMovieman 07-20-07 06:02 PM

VERY tempting, but I've spent too much the past couple months. Hopefully it'll still be around in September. Might get it then... Good deal, though.

Peep 07-20-07 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Period. New sentence...

That's fine if you only read two random sentences. Let's go back and read the introductory paragraph.

CustomFlix Labs, part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies (NASDAQ: AMZN), today announced that famed writer, director, and actor Jon Favreau has selected CustomFlix Labs on Demand programs to serve up his highly acclaimed, Emmy-nominated television series, "Dinner for Five," to the show's fans on Amazon.com. Through the CustomFlix Labs DVD on Demand service, customers can order DVDs of the entire series, complete seasons, or individual episodes. Favreau has also chosen to make "Dinner for Five" available as customized DVDs through the CustomFlix Labs Create Your Own DVD (CYOD) program. Now fans can create personalized DVDs of their favorite moments to relive anytime and receive them within days of ordering on Amazon.com.
It sounds very much to me that customers will be using the "DVD on Demand service" to "order DVDs of the entire series".

If you want to interpret that differently, that's fine by me, but please keep the complaining to a minimum once you've received your DVD-R's.

bwsmom 07-20-07 06:50 PM

All right... let's just put this to bed. If you look here, you'll see that several of the individual episodes (right up through the 4th season) have been released on DVD by Fairview Entertainment as of July 12th, so.... I'm going to go out on a limb and say these are not DVD-Rs, nor do they have anything to do with the CustomFlix versions, since you can pick and choose (aka customize) the content you want on those.