Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

(DEAD) Dinner for Five, the Complete Series (S1-S4) - $41.99 shipped @ Amazon!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

(DEAD) Dinner for Five, the Complete Series (S1-S4) - $41.99 shipped @ Amazon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmanlakerfan
I haven't checked the quality yet but I don't see what the big deal about DVD-R's is. Favreau was behind this so I think this is the best we will get. He knew this was the only way fans would be able to get the episodes. Maybe Amazon should list the product differently but even then it will still be bought.

Most major studio releases don't have extras anymore - so this having none is really no big deal. As long as we can watch the episodes in DVD quality - it will be fine by me.
The big deal shows up a year or so from now when those discs start to degrade. Burnt discs are significantly less reliable then then pressed ones.

Are these DVD-R's single layer or dual layer?
Old 07-30-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
Are these DVD-R's single layer or dual layer?
No clue. No indication on either the disc or the cover.

And, as promised, here's the scan of the disc (sorry it's a little distorted!):

Old 07-30-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pop it into your computer and see how much space the files take up. It it's under 4.5G(ish), then its a single layer.
Old 07-30-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you want to take it a step further, install this software:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Put one of the discs in and check the media info page in dvdinfo for the media code - typically a couple of letters and a couple of digits. The media code will tell you the manufacturer of the blank media and thus the quality of the disc and its likely longevity. Rule of thumb is that japanese-manufactered blanks are at the top of the quality list.
Old 07-30-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I'd be curious to see if they are using decent discs.
Old 07-30-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Unless somebody else that's received them can do it, I'll have to wait until I get home (I work nights, and my disc drive here at work isn't seeing the disc). I'll be happy to post the info once I get home and can check it out.
Old 07-30-07, 09:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Season 1 disc 1 is 3.6G
Old 07-30-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Season 1 disc 1 is 3.6G

Ouch. Not only are they single-layer DVD-R's, but almost 1/5 of the space on the disc is wasted.

So far, I'm not impressed.
Old 07-30-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, after learning that the set was definitely made up of DVD-Rs, I tried to cancel my order online, but the website listed it as "Shipping Soon."

I then called Amazon customer service and was told my order had shipped on the 27th, but the "website hasn't been updated yet." The CS said he would authorize a refund (Yeah, Right!) and asked that I ship the DVD set back to them once I received it "in a few days."

A few minutes later, I got an Amazon email informing me that my order had shipped today (30th) via FedEx Next Day Delivery (I had selected "free shipping.") So, tomorrow, I'll refuse delivery and await my refund.

Many thanks to bwsmom for being the "sacrificial lamb" on this one.
Old 07-30-07, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RevKarl
Many thanks to bwsmom for being the "sacrificial lamb" on this one.
I'd fall on the sword for (most) of you guys any day!

One question though - Peep says that DVRs degrade faster, and even faster still depending on the type of DVR - so, does that mean that if you play them too many times, they wear out faster, or is it that they simply go downhill over time, whether you play them or not? (Sorry guys, but I'm not well-versed in the longevity of the various types of media).
Old 07-31-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's agood question. I've never heard anything to suggest that playing them less will make them last longer. How you store them will definately be a factor.
Old 07-31-07, 12:48 AM

Here's the short version of the NIST recordable optical disc handling guide:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/iad/894.05/docs/disccare.html
Old 07-31-07, 01:36 AM

okay, i'm a bit confused.

reason i'm curious is that i rented the first disc and am looking into getting the entire series set from amazon, but the season 1 disc i got looked like this:

so when you order the entire set from amazon, do you get s1 like this? and then s2-5 in dvd-r format? but if you buy s1 by itself, you get the version i posted a pic of?

and also, do you think there are plans to release the entire series later on in non-dvd-r format? is this an amazon exclusive only for a short period of time, much like "grosse pointe" which became available at other retailers later on?

Last edited by shyguy1083; 07-31-07 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-31-07, 06:26 PM

Well I opted to give these a try and I was pleasantly surprised. They have glossy disc surfaces (not cheap, adhesive labels you often see on DVD-Rs that end up corroding) and most of the episodes look fine...not having seen the show before I was a little puzzled as to why some episodes look a little more "video" like/pixilated than others, i.e. if they shot some on a certain kind of video or what not (you can flip to the next episode and it looks perfect).

Overall though the compression level is certainly satisfactory and I'm pleased with the set as a whole.
Old 08-01-07, 12:09 AM

I have a problem with Disc 3 season 1 of the release. When I try to play Episode 7 The screen goes totally white, but the audio is ok. Is this happening to anyone else?
Old 08-02-07, 01:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by slder78
I have a problem with Disc 3 season 1 of the release. When I try to play Episode 7 The screen goes totally white, but the audio is ok. Is this happening to anyone else?
Same problem here. I've only checked two other episodes in the set so far, #8 on that disc, and the first episode, and they were fine.
Kinda sucks, but if every other episode is fine, I may just keep it. It's really an audio dominant show, do I really need to see them eat...?
Old 08-04-07, 04:15 PM

I got my season 1-4 discs the other day. They first sent email saying they would be delayed and two days later fedex showed up with the package. I have found the following issues:

Season 1 Disc 3 - Episode 7 is all white, good audio
Season 1 Disc 4 - Episode 9 is all white, good audio

Season 2 Disc 3 - Episode 18 is all white, good audio

Season 3 Disc 2 - Just Ep 25 and Ep 26 is displayed, instead of episode number and who is in it.
Season 3 Disc 2 - Ep 25, low volume.
Season 3 Disc 3 - Just Ep 27.1 and Ep 27.2 is displayed instead of episode number and who is in it.
Season 3 Disc 6 - Episode 26 is all white, audio is good.

All of season 4 seems ok.
Old 08-04-07, 10:55 PM

Looks like Amazon is using you guys as guinea pigs.
Old 08-05-07, 07:42 AM

It seems that way, I am returning the set, as much as I like it, the defects are not acceptable. They are going to refund in full, but can't replace because the set is unavailable now.
Old 08-06-07, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by slder78
yeah I've had 2 episodes that have gone white on me so far. I'm not gonna return them or anything but its disappointing. if I'd payed over 41 for these I'd be more pissed.
Old 08-06-07, 09:17 PM
Banned

Ajediday's list seems to be the same problems i got on my set except it is episode 36 that is all white .
Old 08-06-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think all of you should be more aggressive about demanding satisfaction or else Amazon is going to continue allowing the sale of low-quality crap like this in the future.

When six of your discs are bad, you should do more than mutter.
Old 08-08-07, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

My DVDs were messed up, too, and had work given me an opportunity, I would've let Amazon know. However, this afternoon I got an email from them. Let me sum up: "We screwed up. Some of those DVDs were shit. We've fixed the error and are sending you new copies. Keep the old. Also, here's a 10 dollar gift certificate. Sorry. No, really." So, not too bad. Hopefully the new ones will be better quality.
Old 08-08-07, 08:28 PM

It was episode 36, my fingers got confused and typed 26.

I got my email from amazon today as well...I guess it was a good thing I was slow about getting the return setup
Old 08-08-07, 09:02 PM

Wow, so Amazon has taken a break from sucking hard this time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.