DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   "Red Dawn" (SE) @ Circuit City? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/506630-red-dawn-se-%40-circuit-city.html)

OldBoy 07-17-07 11:29 AM

"Red Dawn" (SE) @ Circuit City?

Anyone see this at Circuit City today and how much was it? I didn't see it there or Target.

And if saw at Best Buy did they have a lot as I don't think I can get there.

Willh51 07-17-07 06:16 PM

I went to Best Buy and got it for $14.99, they had about 12. A few had damaged slipcovers and some none at all, but I got one that did have a nice one.

thursdaynighter 07-17-07 06:22 PM

Frys in Sacramento had them for $14.99.

Wildo1966 07-17-07 06:48 PM

K-mart around here in New England had it also for 14.99, the one Walmart I went to had it for 19.99...OUCH!

lethalkrs 07-17-07 08:08 PM

CC was 16.99, tried to get it yesterday and the cashier couldn't ring it up due to release date, good thing though, saved $2 at best by.

Altimus Prime 07-17-07 08:32 PM

My guess is this will show up in a $9.99 sale (at least, if not lower) before too long. I like it, but I can wait.

JohnDoeUSA 07-17-07 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
My guess is this will show up in a $9.99 sale (at least, if not lower) before too long. I like it, but I can wait.

Well, I loved the movie so much that I went and saw it 3 times when it came out. However, I can wait for it to show up in the Walmart bin for $5. It is a great movie but my barebones edition is good enough until then.

TheMovieman 07-17-07 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime

Me too. Probably will only be a month or two me thinks.

speedy1961 07-17-07 09:33 PM

You both will be right.

XROD 07-17-07 09:36 PM

I remember seeing this in the theaters way back when, caught it on cable the other night.....funny thing.....all of the Russians were speaking perfect Spanish! ....WTF? ...Lucy....U hav som esplanig too do.....

SoonerDoc 07-18-07 12:16 AM

WOLVERINES !!!!!!!!!!!!

somebody had to do it..... :shrug:

thursdaynighter 07-18-07 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by XROD
I remember seeing this in the theaters way back when, caught it on cable the other night.....funny thing.....all of the Russians were speaking perfect Spanish! ....WTF? ...Lucy....U hav som esplanig too do.....

They were Cubans and Nicaraguans. Ron "Superfly" O'Neal played a Cuban officer who was the one empathetic bad guy.

Doc Moonlight 07-18-07 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
WOLVERINES !!!!!!!!!!!!

somebody had to do it..... :shrug:

AVENGE ME, BOYS!!!!!

Someone had to do that, too...

Altimus Prime 07-18-07 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
You both will be right.

The force is strong with this one...

... oops, wrong movie... ;)

I can't recall if I saw this in the theater. I know I've seen it many, many times on TV. As a child of the 80s, this movie might be "dated," but I don't consider it as cheesy or corny as most modern reviews label it.

It's just a shame that release week is no longer the best price time. Some upcoming stuff (Flash Gordon, specifically) I'll buy at release, but again, this I can wait to drop.

Willh51 07-18-07 10:19 AM

I'll keep my receipt for a price drop but part of me thinks this may not really go on sale, and don't expect it in the dump bin either.

hotwls13 07-18-07 03:36 PM

"all that hate is gonna burn you up"

"It keeps me warm" :)

I have seen that movie like 20 times, but haven't seen it in years.

I may have to pick this up.

Dane Marvin 07-18-07 05:15 PM

Is there really a lot of killing in this movie? I have never caught showings of it on TV until recently (after I had heard there would be a DVD SE) and then I started to see it on TBS or AMC... but only caught small doses of it in the middle. There were a lot of kids standing around outside; I didn't see much killing go on.

Low RG 07-18-07 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Is there really a lot of killing in this movie?

I believe so. There is one special feature on disc one and it's called "Carnage Counter" :)

OldBoy 07-18-07 10:31 PM

"Red Dawn" is one of the greatest cinematic experiences of all time!

...ok it isn't, but it is one hell of a fun popcorn movie. i saw this in theaters with my older cousin in Florida and just loved it. i remember it being one of the first 'PG-13' movies, but forgot that it was thee first. i always wanted an SE and even wrote about it in DVD Talk, this may not be the SE we were all hoping for, but it is something better than the first and i for one am so so happy.

this is a guilty pleasure that happens to be in my top 10 or maybe it's 20, but it is up there...actually i just checked and it's #4. i love this movie!!

grham09 07-19-07 08:48 AM

In response to Post #6: BestBuy already had it on sale in one of their online $7.50 dvd offers about a month ago. Mine should be arriving today.

Karman 07-19-07 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by grham09
In response to Post #6: BestBuy already had it on sale in one of their online $7.50 dvd offers about a month ago. Mine should be arriving today.

That was the previous, non-anamorphic version. The new version just came out this week.

grham09 07-19-07 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Karman
That was the previous, non-anamorphic version. The new version just came out this week.

Nope. This was the new 2 disc collector's edition. It showed that way on the site and was even listed as a pre-order (this was back in June). I ordered it then and sure enough received the new version today (around $9 shipped) :)

OldBoy 07-19-07 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by grham09
Nope. This was the new 2 disc collector's edition. It showed that way on the site and was even listed as a pre-order (this was back in June). I ordered it then and sure enough received the new version today (around $9 shipped) :)

got pics? i don't really see how that is possible. it was definitely the old version on sale as i remember seeing it in store.

Doc Moonlight 07-19-07 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
got pics? i don't really see how that is possible. it was definitely the old version on sale as i remember seeing it in store.

I remember bestbuy.com having both the new version and the old version available for $7.50 the week of the sale; i.e. if you went to the sale page that week, the non-anamorphic version and the se were listed seperately with the se being marked as a pre-order. MIght have been a mistake, but apparently they honored it. I think the new version will eventually be on sale for $7.50 or therabouts through either BB or CC.

derekjet 07-19-07 02:07 PM

No Swayze and Pony Boy commentary? What? Were they busy?