DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Red Curtain Trilogy - $14.99 @ Target (Regular Shelf Price) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/505788-red-curtain-trilogy-%2414-99-%40-target-regular-shelf-price.html)

Adboy151 07-08-07 12:59 PM

Red Curtain Trilogy - $14.99 @ Target (Regular Shelf Price)

Noticed Baz Luhrmann's Red Curtain Trilogy set (Strickly Ballroom, Moulin Rouge: Special Edition, Romeo + Juliet plus a bonus disc) at Target this morning with the shelf tag marked as $14.99. Regular price, no sale tag.

yourlocalcinema 07-08-07 02:54 PM

I can confirm that an Austin, TX Target had this as well, as a friend of mine left me a message a few days ago telling me he got it.

Liquid Death 07-08-07 08:45 PM

Anyone know the contents of the bonus disc?

rednowgreen 07-08-07 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Liquid Death
Anyone know the contents of the bonus disc?

from circuitcity.com
Behind the Red Carpet (bonus disc): Interactive documentary with 2 hours of behind-the-scenes footage and movie clips
Behind the Red Carpet (bonus disc): DVD-ROM links to downloadable screenplays for all 3 films and over 30 web vignettes
Behind the Red Carpet (bonus disc): Audio - English stereo
.....rednowgreen

stardork13 07-09-07 10:56 AM

Thanks a lot for posting, OP! According to Amazon it has 5 discs: The 2-disc of Moulin Rouge, single discs for Romeo + Juliet and Strictly Ballroom, plus the bonus disc. There's 13 pictures if you want to check it out.
Been looking to get the 2-disc Moulin Rouge, so ~$3 a disc isn't bad in my book ;)

kenbuzz 07-10-07 09:05 AM

I have had this for a long time. This is a really, really good price for a very nice set. The material on the 2nd Moulin Rouge disc and the bonus disc goes amazingly deep and gives you a glimpse into the entire background of Luhrmann's 'red curtain' storytelling concept, Ballywood influences, the original "Strictly Ballroom" stage production, costuming, music, choreography.... just about everything from every aspect of the making of the three movies.

Here's a rundown of the extras (assembled from various DVDTalk reviews)....

Moulin Rouge Disc 1:
- Two audio commentaries: (a) Director/Co-writer Baz Luhrmann, Associate Producer/Production Designer/Costume Designer Catherine Martin and Cinematographer Donald McAlpine; (b) co-writers Baz Luhrmann and Craig Pearce.
- 8 "Behind the Red Curtain" Branches: When enabled, the green fairy will pop up at various points, offering to branch off to behind-the-scene snippets.

Moulin Rouge Disc 2:
- Making of Moulin Rouge HBO Special: HBO always gives good insight for upcoming films. This one is up to HBO's usual standards.
- The Stars: Interviews of McGregor, Kidman, Leguizamo, Roxburgh, and Broadbent.
- The Story Is About: Mini-feature about the writing of the movie
- Cutting Room: Mini-feature about editing the movie, complete with abandonded edits (what it looked like, why it didn't work, etc), and in-depth look at the editing of 2-3 specific scenes.
- Multi-angle Dance Sequences: 4 dance sequences from multiple angles in 5.1.
- The Music: Mini-feature about the music, the compositions made specifically for the movie, an interview with Fatboy Slim, and the MTV video "Lady Marmalade".
- Design and Marketing Gallery: Mini-feature on costume and set design.
- Easter Eggs: Scattered all about.

Strictly Ballroom:
- Commentary: director Baz Lhurmann, production designer/co-costumer Catherine Martin and choreographer John O'Connell
- From Samba to Slow Fox: 30 minutes about Australia's dancing competitions.
- Design Gallery: Animated galleries of backstage snapshots, production design, promotional material, etc. Some are narrated by Luhrmann.

Romeo + Juliet:
- Commentary: director Lhurmann, editor Jill Bilcock, production designer Catherine Martin, cinematographer Don McAlpine and co-producer Martin Brown.
- Cinematographer's Gallery: McAlpine explains the subtleties behind trying to "get the right shot". Fascinating stuff.
- Director's Gallery: Several featurettes, including Luhrmann's story about how to pitch Shakespeare to modern young audiences.
- Design Gallery: Production art featurette
- Marketing: Trailers, TV spots, stills
- Interview Gallery: Dicaprio, Danes and Leguizamo, choreographer, editor, co-writer, and costume designer -- 7 interviews in all.

Bonus Disc:
This previously unreleased bonus disc contains an in-depth interactive documentary, in which Baz Luhrmann and his team explain his vision of “Red Curtain Cinema”, with over two hours’ archive footage, a tour of Baz’ House of Iona production base and lots of never-before-seen special features. (quoted from fox.uk)

If you don't have this set, it's a bargain at $15. If I didn't already own it, I'd get it again.

minguy 07-12-07 10:51 PM

Went to one of the local Targets and bought a set. When I opened it after I got home, Moulin Rouge had two Disc 1's. Looks like I'm going back this weekend. Hopefully, the other sets are okay.

Nevertheless, great price. Thanks, op.