DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Target DVD reset: Cast Away 2-disc $5.50, 28 Days Later WS $7.50... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/505503-target-dvd-reset-cast-away-2-disc-%245-50-28-days-later-ws-%247-50-a.html)

JediJones 07-05-07 08:45 AM

Target DVD reset: Cast Away 2-disc $5.50, 28 Days Later WS $7.50...

Looks like some of the permanent DVD sections at Targets here in PA have been reshuffled. These are the displays that stand off of the main aisle on the sides of where the new releases are displayed. So these are not just a temporary sale and I believe these sections are at all stores.

I think the Cast Away 2-disc has been out of print for a while, until the steelbook version just came out. And this is a better deal than the steelbook . Target's is this version of Cast Away, released in 2001. There's also a 2-disc Collector's Edition that was released in 2003 (which I've seen at Borders on occasion for $30-40ish). I couldn't tell you if all or none of these different 2-disc editions have the same special features or not. Amazon doesn't list the special features for any of them, and for some reason doesn't even list Tom Hanks in their list of the movie's actors? Some of Target's copies also had a sticker on them saying "French language version included." That quaint looking sticker and the old, wavy-looking shrinkwrap makes me think these are old warehouse copies and not new prints.

Bull Durham and La Bamba were also added to the $5.50 display. Not sure what else changed.

Autolycus 07-05-07 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JediJones
Some of Target's copies also had a sticker on them saying "French language version included." That quaint looking sticker and the old, wavy-looking shrinkwrap makes me think these are old warehouse copies and not new prints.

Or maybe these are old unsold remainders which were originally intended for sale in the Canadian market.

"French language version included" stickers are usually seen only on DVDs sold in Canada (where of course having both English and French language versions is important).

If there is a little circular Canadian Home Video rating in the lower right-hand corner of the back cover, that would cinch it.

shyguy1083 07-05-07 03:48 PM

Same goes for here in So. Cal. I also noticed Sideways WS, Daredevil 2-Disc WS, Fever Pitch... that's all i can think of off the top of my head. got Sideways myself. had been trying to get it at several wal-mart bargain bins, but all they had was FS. it was a nice surprise to see it at target for pretty much the same price!

FangsFirst 07-05-07 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
Same goes for here in So. Cal. I also noticed Sideways WS, Daredevil 2-Disc WS, Fever Pitch... that's all i can think of off the top of my head. got Sideways myself. had been trying to get it at several wal-mart bargain bins, but all they had was FS. it was a nice surprise to see it at target for pretty much the same price!

Woah, Sideways?
Awesome. Might have to check in on that one...

Cardsfan111 07-05-07 11:40 PM

I literally bought a 2-disc version of Cast Away at a Used DVD store 3 days ago for $7.xx. I kind of figured that would guarantee a near immediate price drop! ;)

ThaGoddfather 07-08-07 04:02 AM

cast away still cheap?

kenbenobi 07-08-07 11:59 AM

I scored the last copy of Castaway yesterday for $4.95 (I had a 10% off coupon good for all of my purchases yesterday). It wasn't with the other $5.50 DVD's. It was in the Best Sellers area... I looked in 3 other stores, that did not have it, although one other store had a shelf tag (also in Best Sellers)...

ThaGoddfather 07-08-07 12:10 PM

Went to 2 stores but got ahold of a copy. Now I have to sell my FS Sideways I bought at Wal-Mart :( They had tons of Sideways copies.

ericn101 07-08-07 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
I scored the last copy of Castaway yesterday for $4.95 (I had a 10% off coupon good for all of my purchases yesterday). It wasn't with the other $5.50 DVD's. It was in the Best Sellers area... I looked in 3 other stores, that did not have it, although one other store had a shelf tag (also in Best Sellers)...

Can you report what exactly is on the second disc? I am still confused because so many different versions of Castaway have been released over the years. Thanks in advance!!

fumanstan 07-08-07 05:24 PM

Tons of Cast Away here at the Target I went to in Irvine. They were with the rest of the 5.50 DVD's. Picked one up.

kenbenobi 07-08-07 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ericn101
Can you report what exactly is on the second disc? I am still confused because so many different versions of Castaway have been released over the years. Thanks in advance!!

I didn't open it yet, so can't say specifically what is on disc 2, but these are the features included in the set:
Charlie Rose Show interview with Tom Hanks
Wilson: the life and death of a hollywood extra
The Island
Special Effects vignettes
S.T.O.P. surviving as a castaway survivalists documentary
HBO First Look doc
storyboard to film comparison
concept art gallery
theatrical trailors and TV spots

riotinmyskull 07-09-07 05:17 PM

my target (chesapeake, va) had about 7-8 of the cast away 2-discs...picked one up. thanks to the OP!

ericn101 07-09-07 05:55 PM

Thank You Kenbenobi - went to Target and picked it up.

ThaGoddfather 07-09-07 06:08 PM

Thanks again OP. I've been wanting to buy Cast Away for quite a long time now.

kenbenobi 07-09-07 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ericn101
Thank You Kenbenobi - went to Target and picked it up.

My pleasure! Glad you were able to find one. For the price, it's a worthy purchase, even if it's a double dip...

ThaGoddfather 07-10-07 06:29 PM

How long has this DVD been out of production. Hey Kenbenobi, any good deals around the Milwaukee area? I'm from Vliet St.

dvdfansub 07-11-07 06:34 PM

The latest Cast Away Steelbook Edition also has 2-discs. Wonder if there is any new content on it.

Willh51 07-14-07 02:37 PM

The steel book is the same as the 2-disc. I got one today but will have to exchange it. They had tons, but my first disc looks like it was used, tons of fingerprints (?) and scratches. It does have an insert though. Also saw the Red Curtain Trilogy for $14.99.

ThaGoddfather 07-15-07 11:56 AM

Thanks again OP. Went back and got Sideways and Fever Pitch. Thank God someone just bought my FS Sideways for $7 :)