Rain Man
Windtalkers
The Great Escape
Platoon
Walking Tall (w/ The Rock)
Old 08-07-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has Days of Glory (Indigènes) been mentioned yet?

Last edited by Brent L; 08-08-08 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-07-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Well, my Wal Mart finally got rid of the bin and replaced with the shelving unit.
Old 08-07-08, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Syriana
Sisterhood of the Traveling pants
Old 08-07-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info...I'll probably blind buy Syriana and pick up Sisterhood for the gf
Old 08-09-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jmsmath
Picked up Fargo: Special Edition today. Also saw Platoon: Special Edition.

I found Fargo SE today. The one I bought had a round orange sticker (penny size) on the back of the cover (guy with the grinder thing on the right side). I took the outer plastic off and then the sticker expecting to see something objectionable since it was covering up his mid section but I didnt see anything. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 08-09-08, 10:09 PM

just saw fargo today.

Also saw Platoon (bare bones), Return of the Magnificent Seven,
Old 08-12-08, 05:26 PM

Picked up Platoon SE and Fargo SE (with orange sticker on back--also wondering why it was on there myself). Was very pleased to find Fargo was widescreen only (and not a WS/FS flipper like it states in DVD Talk review). Hadn't really seen Fargo since it first came out and I must say that after watching it last night, it now stands in my all-time favorites list! If you haven't seen this in a while and you don't already own it, do yourself a favor and pick this up (You can't beat it at 5 bucks!) You can thank me later.
Old 08-12-08, 08:15 PM

I definitely need to pick up Rain Man. That's one of those movies I always see for $10-ish and think "Man, this will be cheaper soon".
Old 08-12-08, 09:24 PM

Saw Today:

Fargo SE
Silence of the Lambs (Fullscreen)
Point Break
Speed
Dodgeball
Thomas Crowne Affair (Brosnan)
Wild Things (Fullscreen)
Old 08-17-08, 01:07 PM

FYI, the version of the 1 disc "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" in the $5.00 dump-bin is the "extended English-Language version(almost 3 hours) and not the shorter 161 minute version that is stated on the back of the DVD box. Also, it does has one special feature of commentary by historian, Richard Schickel. Sorry if this info was previously reported, it was a nice surprise for me, anyway!
Old 08-18-08, 01:46 PM

FYI, the version of the 1 disc "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" in the $5.00 dump-bin is the "extended English-Language version(almost 3 hours) and not the shorter 161 minute version that is stated on the back of the DVD box. Also, it does has one special feature of commentary by historian, Richard Schickel. Sorry if this info was previously reported, it was a nice surprise for me, anyway!
This is awesome! I keep seeing this at my local WM and I'm never sure whether or not to buy. I shall get it today. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-25-08, 04:02 PM

Some new stuff trickled in at my Wal-Mart's $5 section:

Saw (1 disc)
Saw II (1 disc see through case)
Back to School (Extra-Curricular Edition)
Fiddler on the Roof (1-disc, 2007 re-release I assume)
West Side Story (1-disc)

I picked up Back to School and Saw. I haven't seen either one and I figured paying $5.00 is better than $3.99 at Movie Gallery's gallery section. I was going to pick up Saw II but decided to wait until I watched Saw I.

...and...while not really new, they are getting more copies of Steve McQueen's the Great Escape but with a different cover. It seems like that's the only change. Everything else is still the same as the release with the older cover.

Last edited by iacon45; 08-25-08 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-25-08, 04:24 PM

I saw all those as well. Add to that Bulletproof Monk, which I'm tempted to pick up.
Old 08-27-08, 10:16 AM

I picked up the other day:

The Bone Collector
Platoon
The Siege
Stand By Me
West Side Story

Had to return Raging Bull cause I didn't realize I already had it.
Old 08-27-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone remember when they usually put out their halloween $5 dvds?
Old 08-27-08, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
anyone remember when they usually put out their halloween $5 dvds?
Mid-September, I believe. I just hope they have more of a variety this year.
Old 09-07-08, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Legally Blonde SE (before MGM stripped down to current version ala Sure Thing, Valley Girl and Thelma & Louise)

There were two SE's and a shitload of regular versions. So it's definately a YMMV.
Old 09-07-08, 08:42 PM

Both Legally Blondes and Silence of the Lambs (bare bones)
Old 09-07-08, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Keith123
note that the version of Good Bad that Walmart has in the $5 bin is MONO (old single disc version)

sadly not the deluxe 2 disc edition

nothing caught my eye in the bin - all old MGM stuff
Old 09-08-08, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tonyjg
note that the version of Good Bad that Walmart has in the $5 bin is MONO (old single disc version)
The info my DVD player gives me when playing is it is "5.1" audio. Sounded good enough for me on my oldie 27in analog TV for the 5 buckies.

I saw a couple copies of the first "Magnificent Seven" today in the dump bin. I already have it or I'd bought it for sure. But, I have seen a LOT more copies of the sequel, "Return...", in the bins so YMMV on finding the first one...
Old 09-09-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Legally Blonde SE (before MGM stripped down to current version ala Sure Thing, Valley Girl and Thelma & Louise)

There were two SE's and a shitload of regular versions. So it's definately a YMMV.
How do you tell whether they are stripped down editions? Is it the lack of the words "Special Edition" or by a lack of listed features on the back cover?

The Valley Girl I saw at Fry's didn't say Special Edition, so I'm assuming that's the stripped version? I got tricked when I bought Legally Blonde recently thinking it was the Special Edition. Now that I'm finding out how devious and tricky MGM (and Sony) are with silently stripping their releases down, I need a sure-fire way to tell. I think they even have the same UPC numbers. Sadly the only site I know with back covers (DVD Empire) only shows the new versions so I don't have the old back covers to compare. Does anyone know of a site with a more comprehensive library of DVD back covers and a list of which DVDs MGM/Sony have stripped down stealthfully?

I guess I'll have to return my Valley Girl to Fry's unopened. Unfortunately I can't return my Legally Blonde since I opened it before I knew I had been tricked. Even though it's within 30 days, I somehow doubt Circuit City will take back an unopened DVD if I told them it was a misleading stripped down version.
Old 09-09-08, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
How do you tell whether they are stripped down editions? Is it the lack of the words "Special Edition" or by a lack of listed features on the back cover?

The Valley Girl I saw at Fry's didn't say Special Edition, so I'm assuming that's the stripped version? I got tricked when I bought Legally Blonde recently thinking it was the Special Edition. Now that I'm finding out how devious and tricky MGM (and Sony) are with silently stripping their releases down, I need a sure-fire way to tell. I think they even have the same UPC numbers. Sadly the only site I know with back covers (DVD Empire) only shows the new versions so I don't have the old back covers to compare. Does anyone know of a site with a more comprehensive library of DVD back covers and a list of which DVDs MGM/Sony have stripped down stealthfully?

I guess I'll have to return my Valley Girl to Fry's unopened. Unfortunately I can't return my Legally Blonde since I opened it before I knew I had been tricked. Even though it's within 30 days, I somehow doubt Circuit City will take back an unopened DVD if I told them it was a misleading stripped down version.
Sony is easy:
does it list Widescreen?
No? stripped down

MGM can be more difficult.
SEs usually (if not always) actually say "SE" on them (usually a top band on the cover).
They also list more features on the back.
I've got a handful, and have seen the complementary non-SEs of the same films, and I can't think of an exception of the top of my head (I have Jeepers Creepers and Thelma and Louise that spring to mind immediately)
Old 09-09-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Sony is easy:
does it list Widescreen?
No? stripped down

MGM can be more difficult.
SEs usually (if not always) actually say "SE" on them (usually a top band on the cover).
They also list more features on the back.
I've got a handful, and have seen the complementary non-SEs of the same films, and I can't think of an exception of the top of my head (I have Jeepers Creepers and Thelma and Louise that spring to mind immediately)
Yes, the do say Special Edition at the top. There is a thread (somewhere) that explains this in more detail but I can't find it.

I found the new Thelma and Louise (new transfer) in the dump bin and thought it might be the SE (with no SE logo), but it was stripped down. It had some features, but dropped all the ones on the second side of the original double-sided disc. If you go to www.dvdcompare.net, it will give you more info as well.

Sure Thing, Legally Blonde and Valley Girl all say Special Edition at the top for the SE's. The new versions drop some featurettes

I believe Fargo SE drops the second side (which only has a fullscreen), so you don't miss anything except an insert and slip cover. All versions of the new release that I know of say "Special Editioin", so you have to read the back ...

BTW. Sure Thing SE has shown up at Big Lots, I found a copy of Thelma and Louise SE at Circuit City. I've only seen Valley Girl ONCE at FYE so that will definately be the hardest to find. There are a lot more MGM titles this has been done to.

Last edited by That'sAllFolks; 09-09-08 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Just returned from WM where I saw *lots* of copies of:

The Princess Bride: Buttercup Edition
Spaceballs SE (2 disk)

Both w/slipcase... and a few copies of:

Police Story CE (Jackie Chan)

These all scanned at $5.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.