Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Bunch of $3.99 DVD's at f.y.e, Sam Goody, Coconuts, Warehouse, etc..

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 06-29-07, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The following DVD's are $3.99 at Transworld stores. Not sure about Suncoast, but should be at all the other ones. Look for the octagon cardboard bin in your store, may still be tagged at $5.99 but should ring up at $3.99.

db

Chain Reaction
Chase
Escape From New York (1 disc)
Rollerball (remake)
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bullworth
Down Periscope
Down with Love
Drive Me crazy
Hot Dog the movie
Life or Something Like it
Married to the Mob
Overboard
Curse of the Pink Panther
Scout
Stuck on You
Throw Momma From the Train
Welcome to Mooseport
The Cutting Edge
Brothers McMullen
Demetrius and the Gladiators
Leviathan
Species 3 Unrated
Supernova
Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie
The Fog SE
Killer Klowns From Outer Space
The Good Son

Last edited by db27; 07-06-07 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-29-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-29-07, 11:21 AM

Yeah, thanks. I recommend The Cutting Edge (if that's the ice skating movie.) I already have it. Can't really be dismissed as a "chick flick." It's good.

I wonder if Down Periscope is worth picking up...
Old 06-29-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leviathan! hey! something obscure from my wishlist...
Old 06-29-07, 01:35 PM

How long is this promotion going to last?
Old 06-29-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
How long is this promotion going to last?
at least to the fourth, however often on low sale pricing like this the company randomly changes it's mind and ends it early.
Old 06-30-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks, db27.

I was at FYE earlier this week when I believed the sign that these DVDs were $5.99 so I didn't try buying any. After seeing your post and knowing the Internet is usually very accurate, I went by my local store (a mile away) and asked if the $5.99 bin was $3.99. The employee said "no, they're $5.99". I said "I read on the Internet that they were $3.99 now". The employee gave the usual snide "The Internet is usually wrong. People can post anything". I brought up a $5.99 DVD and it rang up as $3.99, and the employee acted surprised, so I bought the other ones they had in stock (too bad Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey wasn't part of it).

Later a family member went to the other FYE to find a couple more and asked the manager there if they were $3.99 in spite of the $5.99 signs, and he said they were $5.99. As we knew more than the mananger did, we bought them anyway and he acted surprised. It's a sad thing when customers know more than the store managers about sales, and I think I'm batting 100% in favor of the Internet being accurate and the stores being 0% accurate even though it seems like all retail employees are trained to bash the Internet as nothing but a source of lies and freaks.

I've commented several times to the local FYE manangers that it's pretty sad the only way to find out about FYE sales is by reading Internet postings because FYE doesn't tell their own stores or managers about sales (or if they do the stores ignore that info) nor does FYE list any sales on their web page that I've seen.

This makes it all the more important and valuable that we have our own ongoing FYE/Coconuts/etc. deal thread. It seems db27 knows more about sales than all of the other FYE employees I've dealt with.
Old 06-30-07, 03:13 PM

Down Periscope was a decent movie. Regrettably they took the pan and scan version and chopped off the tops and bottoms to deliver the widescreen version that is available.
Old 06-30-07, 03:30 PM

The FYE in Tower Place Mall (downtown Cincinnati) has a selection of these in a "special" cardboard display by the window just inside the front door. They're all marked with $3.99 stickers.
Old 06-30-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
because FYE doesn't tell their own stores or managers about sales (or if they do the stores ignore that info) nor does FYE list any sales on their web page that I've seen.

This makes it all the more important and valuable that we have our own ongoing FYE/Coconuts/etc. deal thread. It seems db27 knows more about sales than all of the other FYE employees I've dealt with.
thanks for the kind words, and I assure you we get plenty of communication at the store level from the home office, however I can also assure you that typically the managers just don't convey the sales to other mgmt and associates very well.

Glad you got in on it!
Old 07-01-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, my store is usually on the up and up but both cashiers were clueless about the Mrs. Doubtfire recall as I was buying their last copy. Tee hee.