Operationdvd-Not a bargain but chance to offer thanks/support to the Troops

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operationdvd-Not a bargain but chance to offer thanks/support to the Troops

www.operationdvd.us

What is AMVETS, Operation DVD?
Safe entertainment is a concept that is difficult at best for our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines in Iraq and Afghanistan. Even baseball and softball games are no longer possible because of snipers, mines, bombs and other terrorist activities.

AMVETS, Operation DVD is an appeal to patriotic Americans to donate their new and used DVDs which will then be shipped to our fighting men and women overseas.

AMVETS, Operation DVD is an official program of AMVETS (a nationally chartered veterans organization in existence for over sixty years).

AMVETS, Operation DVD is also partnering with both the USO and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. DVDs will be distributed to Troops in audiences of USO tours and ultimately “Children Titles” will be provided to Boys & Girls Clubs located on military bases around the world.

AMVETS, Operation DVD facts:
Libraries of DVDs will be established at all bases in Iraq and Afghanistan for the entertainments of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen
and Marines.
Our goal is one million+ new and used DVDs donated by the American Public.
Most bases have a reinforced recreation room equipped with a Television and DVD player. Similar facilities exist on ships. Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines (with portable DVD players) will also be able to check DVDs out like a library book (and then return them for another). The project is to ultimately have 200-250 titles in rotation
at each base.
This may be the only safe entertainment some will have on their tour
of duty.
“Children Titles” donated will be distributed to Servicemen’s families (Stateside) through the Family Readiness Group with the assistance
of AMVETS.
Old 06-11-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love all the bargains I have received at dvdtalk over the years....just thought this might be of interest to some dvdtalkers that want to send some dvds they no longer want to a group of guys and gals putting their lives on the line who could reallly use some good entertainment. I'm sending out 5 dvds...would be awesome to see if we can get a few hundred or even a thousand or more as a group out...post how many dvds you sending out and titles if you like... if you plan on helping out..thanks!

Last edited by IamLegend; 06-11-07 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure if I should send money or buy DVDs to send.

I went through the site, and is says that DVD drop-off points will be announced soon, but don't see a list of the sites. It looks like they're only looking for money right now. Any idea if they're ready to receive DVDs?

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 06-11-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
"Where should I send my DVDs?

While local locations to drop-off your DVDs for our Troops will be announced shortly after Veteran’s Day - we need your help NOW!!

Please mail your DVDs or monetary donation to:

AMVETS, Operation DVD
1395 E Dublin-Granville #222
Columbus, OH 43229

Can I send a cash donation for AMVETS, Operation DVD to buy some movies?

Please either use your credit card or mail a check to the address link on the Donation Page.
Can we send music CDs?

Music CDs will also be appreciated."
http://www.operationdvd.us/howtohelp.php

I'd obviously prefer a local dropoff point, but mailing dvds to OH is really cheap, and definitely worth it.
Good cause, I'll send some, assuming I can find some that are suitable.
"All types of films — motivational, inspirational and especially films that inspire a sense of family and moral values."
Old 06-12-07, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This just doesn't seem right. It's like price supports for the movie industry under the guise of supporting the troops.

As the cost to manufacture a DVD and case with artwork is about a dollar, it would be a heck of a lot more cost effective to convince the MPAA to donate a bunch of DVDs to the troops instead. If the average price paid for each donated DVD is say $10 (to pick a round number) then if regular people donate 1 million DVDs, they are effectively donating $9,000,000 to the MPAA and only $1,000,000 to the troops.
Old 06-12-07, 06:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While agreeing with Jah-Wren that it would be more cost effective if the MPAA donated DVDs, there is still a great opportunity for ordinary folk to help out the troops (who can use the entertainment regardless of the source).

We have a good friend whose son is in Baghdad & whose husband recently enlisted in the Army Corps of Engineers. She sends regular shipments of goodies overseas and includes donations from other members of our church. From what she has said, I can confirm that the troops stationed in most of Iraq need "indoor" entertainment such as games, books, music, & DVDs.

I'm sure that they could use & would appreciate almost anything, but she did say that they relish some of the older movies that are harder to find (and also present less of a problem entering those countries with strict laws regarding sexual content of cinema). We bought a bunch of classic John Waynes (Liberty Valence, True Grit, etc.) & other older westerns (she said they love westerns) during DDD's B1G1 free sale last summer/fall for $3 each. If you have an overstock of DVDs that have dropped in price & you don't want to have a yard sale to clean house (or trade them in for peanuts), this is a good place to send them.
Old 06-12-07, 11:01 AM

I think it's a great idea. I'll keep an eye out for donation sites. Thanks to the original poster!
Old 06-12-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just sending to their address in Ohio media mail only a couple bucks to send and "not even a sacrifice" compared to what these guys and gals have to deal with on a daily basis...
Old 06-12-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Cool. I'll pack some up as well. It may not be cost effective, but what the hell? The least I can do.
Old 06-12-07, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Great idea. Many troops serving overseas:
-buy low-quality bootleg DVDs (even in Iraq)
-get ripped off at the PX

I think such a service will be much appreciated.
Old 06-12-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They inlisted into a life of service giving them dvd's is not right and supporting this Iraq B-S is bad enough.In war there are no winners we as americans are the losers for are big brother approach in world matters.
Old 06-12-07, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
They inlisted into a life of service giving them dvd's is not right and supporting this Iraq B-S is bad enough.In war there are no winners we as americans are the losers for are big brother approach in world matters.
Whether or not you or they support the war in Iraq, if the United States was attacked tomorrow, the troops would be the ones fighting for you and I. I say this is a great idea and the Iraq situtation has nothing to do with the fact that we should appreciate and show our support to them.
Old 06-12-07, 09:36 PM
Banned

Uh... okay. I certainly hope I don't start losing my mind (and grasp of the English language) when I'm 36.

You could always start a campaign to send DVDs to the terrorists.
Old 06-13-07, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This seems like a great idea but I agree some local drop-off points a la Toys for Tots would be useful.
Old 06-13-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
we as americans are the losers for are big brother approach in world matters.
Wow!
That is the single most asinine comment I've heard a long time!
As Americans we are incredibly fortunate to enjoy such an uncommon degree of personal freedom!
Old 06-13-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to throw off on TOO big a tangent here, but I highly recommend treatsfortroops.com if sending DVDs might not be your thing. I own my own business and we send out a couple of care packages a month through that site. The packages are designed by individual soliders and are delivered directly to them. We've gotten quite a few thank you letters and pictures from the soliders that we have sent these packages to and they seem to love them. The biggest need is always for phone cards, we try to ship as many of those a month as we can. A lot of the troops say that they share their unused minutes with other officers.

Just my two cents, I apologize for the slight misdirection.
Old 06-13-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
This just doesn't seem right. It's like price supports for the movie industry under the guise of supporting the troops.

As the cost to manufacture a DVD and case with artwork is about a dollar, it would be a heck of a lot more cost effective to convince the MPAA to donate a bunch of DVDs to the troops instead. If the average price paid for each donated DVD is say $10 (to pick a round number) then if regular people donate 1 million DVDs, they are effectively donating $9,000,000 to the MPAA and only $1,000,000 to the troops.
It's not about being cost effective. It's about people being able to take things they're not using and give them to people who would appreciate them. I'd bet that the idea came from the realization that people have lots of DVDs they don't watch or have become obsolete by double dips.

It's a good thing to do regardless of how one feels about the war.