DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   $9.99 Steelbooks @ Fry's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/502935-%249-99-steelbooks-%40-frys.html)

Ken Cline 06-08-07 10:58 AM

$9.99 Steelbooks @ Fry's

In today's 6/8 Friday ad they have $9.99 on Steelbook's. 8 to choose from...

- Cast Away
- Platoon
- Man On Fire
- X2 - yes, I know you can get it for $6 @ K-Mart or PM @ Best Buy, CC
- Fight Club
- The Day After Tomorrow
- Hannibal
- Die Hard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../Misc/frys.jpg

Link's here.... http://ads.ocregister.com/interactiv...0608084011.pdf

thursdaynighter 06-08-07 11:28 AM

Is this the new Platoon release?

DoubleDownAgain 06-08-07 11:56 AM

Yes, from what I've heard.

thursdaynighter 06-08-07 04:25 PM

Well, I went and picked up Platoon and Man on Fire. The cases are very nice.

Dane Marvin 06-08-07 04:31 PM

Anyone want to defend the film "The Day After Tomorrow"? I may consider a purchase if someone can convince me it's worthy (or at least a good popcorn flick). I have never seen it. Maybe there are some good special features on the second disc even?

yellowlt4 06-08-07 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Anyone want to defend the film "The Day After Tomorrow"? I may consider a purchase if someone can convince me it's worthy (or at least a good popcorn flick). I have never seen it. Maybe there are some good special features on the second disc even?

I say save your money.

gryffinmaster 06-08-07 05:43 PM

If you have a dts-capable system, then the audio track, the sharp CG and the cornball action could be worth the $10 for the 2-disc set. But the science behind the film is actually very, very hollow, and the acting isn't much denser. It's a good no-brainer, though! :)

thursdaynighter 06-08-07 05:50 PM

It's good if you enjoy hungry wolves running amok on an icy freighter parked next to the New York Public Library. Seriously, it is a good popcorn movie.

Wannabe 06-08-07 06:08 PM

It's so seriously dumb - I want those 90 minutes back that I wasted watching it on a 14 hour flight.

MickeyMousePal 06-08-07 06:39 PM

For me I don't really think the Steel books are worth it. It's because I have most of these 2-Disc set and don't really care about the steel case. It would be double dipping for me. The only ones I don't have are Hannibal and Platoon which I'll probably get with the steel book since it's cheaper. It looks like Best Buy discontinues both Hannibal 2-Disc and Platoon 2-Disc set. I only got X2-X-Men United Steel book was because I didn't have the 2 disc set and it was $6. Then I got X-Men 1.5 Steel book because I wanted to complete my steel book case trilogy. Oh FYI The Day After Tomorrow was a horrible movie but it's tells the truth about global warming. Yes, I have both single disc and 2-Disc set of The Day After Tomorrow.

MickeyMousePal 06-08-07 06:48 PM

The Omen and X-Men 1.5 are not part of the $9.99 deal.

monkeyhair 06-08-07 07:57 PM

does anyone know if these contain the movie ticket to see fantastic 4 like costco does.

davron 06-08-07 10:56 PM

In one of my dvd this past sale was a coupon for seeing the Fantastic s Siversurfer and a movie coupon inside but I had received one before and to this date still haven't seen it and it's been since the beginning of this year. STAY AWAY from FYE because it's going to be a very cold day in hell before ytou ever see it.

davron 06-08-07 11:03 PM

"The Day After Tomorrow"? was a very good movie and saw in theatres many things and several more time on DVD. My neighborhood thinks I'm the local Blockbuster and are always down borring movies and a very popular one is this one.

kenbenobi 06-08-07 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal
The Omen and X-Men 1.5 are not part of the $9.99 deal.

X-Men 1.5 steelbook is exclusive to Best Buy. Fry's doesn't carry it...

kenbenobi 06-08-07 11:27 PM

With the exception of the steelbook packaging, are ANY of these different from their previous releases? I'm trying to justify a double dip...

Robert 06-08-07 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
With the exception of the steelbook packaging, are ANY of these different from their previous releases? I'm trying to justify a double dip...

For the gazillionth time: ALL the steelbook releases are the same as the previously released special editions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:brickwl2::horse::hairpull:

Jah-Wren Ryel 06-09-07 02:06 AM

It will never be a dead horse because that is exactly the kind of confusion the studio's WANT to create with these releases. As long as they are trying their hardest to confuse people, there will be confused people.

tasog37 06-09-07 02:52 AM

Is this deal only Friday or does it continue on into Saturday? Is there any indication, I've got my eye on Die Hard.

Thanks for the heads up!

fumanstan 06-09-07 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by tasog37
Is this deal only Friday or does it continue on into Saturday? Is there any indication, I've got my eye on Die Hard.

Thanks for the heads up!

Ususally these last all weekend.

megashopper 06-09-07 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by tasog37

Thanks for the heads up!

Prices are good through Tuesday. I picked up Die Hard rather than get it at one of the 20% off sales because it was a better deal.

lCraZyaZnl 06-09-07 11:45 AM

Picked up Platoon and Man on Fire, both missing from my collection. The packaging looks great.

tasog37 06-09-07 01:03 PM

Ah, thank you fumanstan and megashopper for the help, I'm going to go pick it up right now.