DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

interesting sale at Kmart

Old 06-04-07, 08:31 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Durham, NC USA
Posts: 994
interesting sale at Kmart

didn't see this posted anywhere.

1) all James Bond remastered films (w/DTS) $6.99
2) 3 Disc specials for $12.99
a) El Mariachi/Despardo/Mexican
b) 3 disc director's cut of Hellboy !
c) 3 disc version of Black Hawk Down

hope this helps someone.
Steve is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 04:26 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Twin Cities, MN.
Posts: 1,227
Dunno about *all* Bond films. I could only find two Connery titles, "From Russia With Love" and "You Only Live Twice".
docdoowop is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 06:31 AM
  #3  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,142
Great sale, but I can never find the advertised DVDs at Kmart. Insert Rainman quote here.

But good for pricematching at least, if you can find the flyer in the store.
Trevor is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 07:21 AM
  #4  
Reviewer Emeritus
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,498
No idea what the regular price is of that Hellboy set at Circuit City, but that might be a nice little deal. Granted, not like the Sam's deal a few months back, but still great for those without a Sam's or a membership there.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Insert Rainman quote here.


"You know, K-Mart is actually a decent, respectable store with occasional good deals on storage, DVDs, furniture ...

... I mean, K-Mart sucks. Definitely."
gryffinmaster is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 08:41 AM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,088
Raymond...You are absolutely correct, K-Mart does suck! I went to the last K-mart in my area this morning to see their new release dvds...I was not able to see any of them because the electronics supervisor does not come in until 9 AM. Not one other person could help me with the dvds, I asked the CS desk if they ever wonder why their store has no customers and I also asked why they bother opening at 8 AM when there is practically no one working there....I then walked right next door to Walmart and bought everything I was looking for...
Wildo1966 is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 03:40 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
... I mean, K-Mart sucks. Definitely."
Couldn't agree more.

During their Easter sale of Biblical epics (Ben-Hur 3-disc for $10.00, etc.), I went to three K-Marts trying to find the advertised specials.

Not one of the stores had any of the advertised DVDs and the sales people were not even aware of the sale.

Gas costs too much to waste going to a store that can't even bother to stock their advertised items.
Autolycus is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 04:08 PM
  #7  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,142
Originally Posted by Autolycus
Couldn't agree more.

During their Easter sale of Biblical epics (Ben-Hur 3-disc for $10.00, etc.), I went to three K-Marts trying to find the advertised specials.

Not one of the stores had any of the advertised DVDs and the sales people were not even aware of the sale.

Gas costs too much to waste going to a store that can't even bother to stock their advertised items.
Exactly, which is why I don't even bother to look for the items at Kmart anymore. I just cruise by and get their flyer, then pricematch at CC or BB, getting it for an extra 10% off with their pricematching policy.

Remember, never buy the item where it is the cheapest, buy it at the most expensive place that pricematches.
Trevor is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 06:47 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 18,808
is this in the add this week
whotony is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 06:49 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Durham, NC USA
Posts: 994
don't know if this is advertised. but was in the DVD section that was open (not behind glass)..
Steve is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 08:15 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Hellboy was advertised, I was surprised to actually find it there, but it looks like they actually stocked their ad titles for once. They also had a big display for the 6.99 Comic book titles.
starman9000 is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 09:53 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,637
I looked through the flyer and didn't see Hellboy in it, they didn't have it in the store I went to anyways.
Maxflier is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 10:29 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 782
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I looked through the flyer and didn't see Hellboy in it, they didn't have it in the store I went to anyways.
It is on page 7 on the top right in my ad. The KMart near me had about a half dozen of them. The cashier was surprised that it was on sale.
Spiral Staircase is offline  
Old 06-05-07, 10:47 PM
  #13  
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
I think these Bond movies for $6.99 at Kmart should be highlighted in a thread titled "Deals better than the DD 20 percent off sale." Along with it would go Pirates of the Caribbean for $10 at Target.

Anywho...

I don't have any Bond movies - it's a glaring omission in my "collection" - and am tempted to get some with this deal. At a Kmart, IIRC, I saw From Russia With Love, Never Say Never, World is Not Enough, Moonraker and Man with the Golden Gun. Oh, and one of the Timothy Dalton movies I've never seen or will ever see.

If I can decide on a couple I'd want the most, I'll go PM at BBuy just out of spite. They'll probably have more to choose from.
Altimus Prime is offline  
Old 06-06-07, 08:49 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,637
Originally Posted by starecase
It is on page 7 on the top right in my ad. The KMart near me had about a half dozen of them. The cashier was surprised that it was on sale.

Ok, I see it now. Didn't realize it was $12.99, I thought someone had said it was $6.99 in another thread. Oh well, might still pick it up if I can find it.

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-06-07 at 08:55 AM.
Maxflier is offline  
Old 06-06-07, 10:29 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,637
Well I came up empty at K-Mart, but I did find 1 copy of Hellboy at CC. I had them pricematch and I guess she took an additional 10% off instead of just off the difference because they actually charged me $11.79 for it. That's a pretty solid deal for a nice 3 disc set I guess.
Maxflier is offline  
Old 06-06-07, 10:50 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,433
That's an awesome price for the Hellboy DC for those who don't already own it.
mifuneral is offline  
Old 06-06-07, 11:39 PM
  #17  
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
Has anyone tried pricematching at another store? I'm wondering if the others will pricematch on any individual Bond title, or be sticklers and only pricematch the ones pictured in the ad - World is Not Enough, From Russia with Love and Moonraker - despite the fact Kmart does have other Bond titles in the sale and the ad reads "additional titles available."

I picked up Man with the Golden Gun and Moonraker today. Those have always been two fav Bond films of mine. I appreciate Connery, but the first Bond I was introduced to was Roger Moore.

I'm thinking of picking up a couple more, if I can find them at a Kmart or pricematch somewhere - considering You Only Live Twice and Spy Who Loved Me. Live and Let Die is a distant third.

I thought Brosnan was a good Bond, but I lost interest in the series after the first two of his films. Tomorrow Never Dies interests me because of the media mogul villain, but that's about it.

And no, the big collections weren't made for me. I'm not that into Bond.

Last edited by Altimus Prime; 06-06-07 at 11:59 PM.
Altimus Prime is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 01:44 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,866
the one thing I dislike about the Bond DVD's is that there are no extras on the movies like there are on the special box sets where each movie gets a 2 disc set. But what if you don't necessarily want to own Moonraker to get Goldfinger?
nothingfails is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 09:54 AM
  #19  
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by nothingfails
the one thing I dislike about the Bond DVD's is that there are no extras on the movies like there are on the special box sets where each movie gets a 2 disc set. But what if you don't necessarily want to own Moonraker to get Goldfinger?
What? Goldfinger is in Vol. 1. Moonraker is in Vol. 4.

But if your idea is that with the volume sets, you end up with movies you want and ones you don't, then I agree, and that's why I'm buying a few of the ones I like this way for $6.99 each. Getting just what I want, spending less money. You still get the restored image, and commentaries. I can live without the extras.
Altimus Prime is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 10:57 AM
  #20  
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,575
Originally Posted by Trevor
Remember, never buy the item where it is the cheapest, buy it at the most expensive place that pricematches.
This should be in a sticky at the top of the forum, or the forum's motto, or something like that. It's the reason why Circuit City has been getting my business lately.
Jim is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 11:53 AM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 134
I was looking at the bond single releases(1 disc) at best buy the other day and I noticed that on the back where it lists the specs, it just said widescreen and then gave the ratio underneath. It doesn't say anywhere on the package that I can find about being anamorphic. Am I missing something? No way these are not anamorphic cause they did the frame by frame restoration on them right?
Infrared Sight is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 01:03 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hockeytown, USA
Posts: 1,045
Originally Posted by Trevor
Remember, never buy the item where it is the cheapest, buy it at the most expensive place that pricematches.
OR, ..buy it at the place that pricematches and gives you the most Reward Zone points.
wildman1037 is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 01:35 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,375
Originally Posted by Infrared Sight
I was looking at the bond single releases(1 disc) at best buy the other day and I noticed that on the back where it lists the specs, it just said widescreen and then gave the ratio underneath. It doesn't say anywhere on the package that I can find about being anamorphic. Am I missing something? No way these are not anamorphic cause they did the frame by frame restoration on them right?
They are indeed Anamorphic and will look the best they ever will...until they're released on BR-DVD that is.
clappj is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 01:46 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 10,651
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Well I came up empty at K-Mart, but I did find 1 copy of Hellboy at CC. I had them pricematch and I guess she took an additional 10% off instead of just off the difference because they actually charged me $11.79 for it. That's a pretty solid deal for a nice 3 disc set I guess.
10% off would have made it $11.69. It is more likely the regular price at CC was 24.99, thus $11.79 would indeed be 10% of the difference ($12 difference, thus an additional $1.20 off)...
kenbenobi is offline  
Old 06-07-07, 02:58 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,637
Originally Posted by kenbenobi
10% off would have made it $11.69. It is more likely the regular price at CC was 24.99, thus $11.79 would indeed be 10% of the difference ($12 difference, thus an additional $1.20 off)...
Yes, it was $24.99 at CC, I guess I really need to brush up on my math skills.
Maxflier is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.