Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official - ANIME Bargains! - Thread [updated daily...or close to it] - June '07

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Stellvia is a decent show, kinda reminding me of Battle Athletes.

Gad Guard is a show that I wanted desperately to like, from the first time I saw promo screens before it actually aired in Japan... it's got robots, it's got style in spades, but the gaps in the plot and motivations just left me more annoyed at the main characters than rooting for them.

Last Exile is amazing, as is Gungrave.
Old 06-06-07, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest Stellvia, Sugar, Ai Yori Aoshi, and Ultramaniac. I tend to gravitate towards series that are more character than plot driven and all of those wre worthwhile.
Old 06-06-07, 06:05 PM

I've spoken with a RightStuf rep, she said that they plan on restocking some of the SOLD OUT titles, but they have no plans on adding any new items.

Sorry to all those holding out on that
Old 06-06-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Ason12
I've spoken with a RightStuf rep, she said that they plan on restocking some of the SOLD OUT titles, but they have no plans on adding any new items.

That's not a bad thing--means I won't say "Crap, I should have waited and ordered that" when something is added.

Sugar--That one is rated 3 and up (although I think it's anamorphic widescreen and subbed only which is a little odd). edit: Sorry, it's dubbed as well.

Debating--well, debating spending 100$ more on dvds when my DDD wishlist is at 380 and I've got 150 titles in my library still to watch. But re: specific titles: the only titles that are tempting me that I don't already have are
Chobits
Doki Doki (maybe)
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue (maybe)
Koi Kaze (though I've already watched it)
ROD (though I've rented a bunch of them before, but don't recall if they were OVA or TV)

I've already got Last Exile (BB kiosk), Texhnolyze (FYE sale), Stellvia/Sugar/AYA (last TRSI sale). No other titles are really jumping out at me as a blind buy, though it's hard to pass up four bucks each (One whole order last time was paid for by selling five titles I had second thoughts about on Amazon.) I think I'm about mecha'd out, except for 'lighter' ones like Full Metal Panic.

Oh, and i fifth (or whatever) the applause for TRSI's service. My orders have been well packed and shipped reasonably quickly (all things considered), one floater was replaced easily, and they did one swap out for an order that hadn't shipped yet. The only thing they said 'no' to was after the last supersale, when I said "Hey, this title that was in the sale but was OOS, can I swap one of the titles I bought for it" and they said no. Which was understandable.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 06-06-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-06-07, 06:37 PM

Well, I made my first order for this TRSI sale. I left an item off because another had a low counter so I have to make a second order this weekend.

Akira Limited Edition
Fafner Vol. 1-7 with artbox
Licensed by Royalty Vol. 1-4 with artbox
ROD TV Vol. 1-6
UltraManiac Vol. 1-7

If some of the sold out items come back as well, then I'm going to have an even harder time for my next order. Still, I'll be closing my fingers that the ones that will come back in stock are ones that I'm interested in.
Old 06-06-07, 06:51 PM

I'm watching Daphne in the Brilliant Blue right now. I rather enjoy it. It's like a neo Burn-Up (if that means anything to you; which for me is good). It's got a pretty good dub too! I don't think I've watched a crappy Geneon dub yet.

Haven't heard anything mention of Fushigi Yugi from anyone. In terms of value (episodes per disc) you can't go wrong with it. It's like a combination of Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho (vol 4-6 seem to be sold out though).

Last Exile is a great show. If you weren't able to get it at Best Buy...$28 for a complete box set is freaking awesome. Highest production values on a show I've ever seen.
Old 06-06-07, 06:52 PM

I've gone to the RightStuf site several time, but the "Bountiful Remix" icon doesn't appear. What am I doing wrong? Or is the correct icon the GENEON REMIX in the upper right.

Thanks, Phil
Old 06-06-07, 06:57 PM

I forgot to plug Doki Doki School Hours. It is both cute and funny. The main character is absolutely adorable. On a side note, I got my DD order today.

Originally Posted by pmreed
I've gone to the RightStuf site several time, but the "Bountiful Remix" icon doesn't appear. What am I doing wrong? Or is the correct icon the GENEON REMIX in the upper right.

Thanks, Phil
GENEON REMIX is the correct icon.
Old 06-06-07, 07:01 PM

Thanks, Mr. Bear .

Phil
Old 06-06-07, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Bear1116
I forgot to plug Doki Doki School Hours. It is both cute and funny. The main character is absolutely adorable. On a side note, I got my DD order today.

GENEON REMIX is the correct icon.
Yeah, unfortunately it's missing two volumes now though...=(
Old 06-06-07, 07:59 PM

My first order with RightStuf was a little grueling, new site for me and all...but wow, what a deal on the Geneon stuff.

Phil
Old 06-06-07, 08:34 PM

Placed 2 orders thru thier sale..both list as ALL BACKORDERED . All the items are still listed on the site, which is kinda strange you would think.

B
Old 06-06-07, 10:06 PM

The Right Stuf left a message on my machine today saying they have a question about my order. By the time I listened to it, they were closed, so I have to wait until tomorrow to see what this is. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Old 06-06-07, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by justbarelymovin
Aw... If you decide to do another order, I'd highly recommend ROD. And I enjoyed the second half thoroughly. Fafner, from what I've seen, is decent, but the only reason I ordered Vol. 3-7 is because I wanted to complete my series (I'll get around to it eventually, but it's not high on my viewing backlog at all).

Last Exile is also an EXCELLENT series. One of my favorites, all around. If I didn't have such a huge backlog, I'd give it another go in a heartbeat.

I'll have to see if my local FYE/Suncoast put out Hellsing early, and I may hit up Best Buy for Highlander with that coupon (they usually take the 10% off sale stuff if I buy a few things).
I loved ROD the TV. I rented it a while ago and have seen it already though so I'd rather see something new
Old 06-06-07, 11:00 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 534 Likes on 470 Posts

This could be a good thing. Not adding more new titles means less money spend!

Originally Posted by karen0586
Well, I made my first order for this TRSI sale. I left an item off because another had a low counter so I have to make a second order this weekend.

Akira Limited Edition
Fafner Vol. 1-7 with artbox
Licensed by Royalty Vol. 1-4 with artbox
ROD TV Vol. 1-6
UltraManiac Vol. 1-7

If some of the sold out items come back as well, then I'm going to have an even harder time for my next order. Still, I'll be closing my fingers that the ones that will come back in stock are ones that I'm interested in.
It's good to see that you're a member of DVDTalk now!
Old 06-06-07, 11:01 PM
WTK

Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
The Right Stuf left a message on my machine today saying they have a question about my order. By the time I listened to it, they were closed, so I have to wait until tomorrow to see what this is. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
I would call them ASAP tomorrow. It could be something to do with payment or address.
Old 06-06-07, 11:42 PM

That's good as I can't really find much to fill another 10/25 item order.. Though, the length of the sale is quite surprising..

I think I'll hold out until the end of the sale before deciding if I should place an order of what I want and pick up some trade fodder.. I think after the first week or so, the novelty will wear down..
Later
Old 06-07-07, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
They called me yesterday - apparently two identical orders for me were processed by their system somehow. They were just checking to make sure that it was a glitch and that I didn't want two of everything. You might have had the same issue.
Old 06-07-07, 12:22 AM
WTK

Updated!
Old 06-07-07, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by johnsun
That's good as I can't really find much to fill another 10/25 item order.. Though, the length of the sale is quite surprising..

I think I'll hold out until the end of the sale before deciding if I should place an order of what I want and pick up some trade fodder.. I think after the first week or so, the novelty will wear down..
Later
Johnsun, you have an email address? I have a question for you, or if you could email me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-07, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by ReggieM
They called me yesterday - apparently two identical orders for me were processed by their system somehow. They were just checking to make sure that it was a glitch and that I didn't want two of everything. You might have had the same issue.
The problem was that the billing and shipping addresses had different names on them, so I told them it was okay, and they said that the order will now be processed. Hooray.
Old 06-07-07, 09:12 AM

Hey, does anyone have anything good/bad to say about chobits, Demon Lord Dante, Licensed by Royalty, or master keaton? Any of these that someone feels i can't live without? at these prices i don't want to miss out on anything.
Thanks!
Old 06-07-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Droses
Hey, does anyone have anything good/bad to say about chobits, Demon Lord Dante, Licensed by Royalty, or master keaton? Any of these that someone feels i can't live without? at these prices i don't want to miss out on anything.
Thanks!
I can vouch for Chobits. It's one of the top CLAMP shows out there and I like CLAMP shows. It also features an excellent dub(Crispin Freeman is great as always) and very catchy opening and closing songs. Definitely recommended!
Old 06-07-07, 09:56 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Droses
Thanks!
  • Chobits: I found the series fairly entertaining. If you liked any of the CLAMP series such as Angelic Layer you may like this. The series does include plenty of off-color humor and innuendo.
  • Demon Lord Dante: I don't know anything about this series!
  • Licensed by Royalty: It's in my backlog, but from what I have heard, the series has been compare to the James Bond series.
  • Master Keaton: It's in my backlog as well. I don't know too much about the series, but the creator is the same as the one that created Monster so expect a heavy dose of drama.
Old 06-07-07, 10:34 AM

When I placed the order, everything was in stock with plenty of copies, but on my order status page, Last Exile Vol. 1 LE, Paranoia Agent Vol. 3, and R.O.D. the TV Vol. 4 say "On Order from Manufacturer." Yet on the site, ROD Vol. 4 shows 485 copies in stock and Paranoia Agent Vol. 3 shows 158 copies.

What's going on?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.