Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Shout Factory Box Sets at Dollar General Store for $10.00 each includes SCTV Vol.1-4

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Shout Factory Box Sets at Dollar General Store for $10.00 each includes SCTV Vol.1-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SUCCESS!!! ..For a town (Hyden, Ky) where Dollar General is the ONLY place to buy the usual household items, I cant believe I got in on this great bargain. They were in a tiny cardboard cut out box on top of a shelf, near the groceries. Picked up all 4 SCTV box sets. They had 2 of each vol., except for 4. They only had one volume 4, but now its gone, lol. Thanks DvdTalk. Sctv kicks SNL"S a**!!!!!
Old 05-31-07, 08:29 PM

I had no luck, went to 2 out of the 3 DGs in my town. I am about 120 miles south of Chicago. I really hate Dollar General, but I will have grin and bear going in couple more times the next few weeks in the hopes that they will get some in. Calling will apparantly do me no good because when I walked in and asked them where the DVDs where the lady just looked at me confused like. I don't think she even know they carried DVDs or didn't know what DVDs where.
Old 05-31-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 433 Posts
nothing but junk at aston pa
Old 05-31-07, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
No luck around Kansas City yet. So far I'm only finding the same crap those places always have.
So I don't duplicate your efforts, which stores did you stop by?
Old 05-31-07, 09:15 PM

Any reconnaissance from the Denver area?
Old 05-31-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Come on Tulsa!!! We need some of these bargains.
Old 06-01-07, 09:58 AM

I checked three locations south of Nashville. Two of them didn't have them although they did have lots of bargain DVDs. When I asked about the discs at the second store, the guy I talked to said that not all Dollar Generals got the same stuff sent to them. I had almost given up when I got lucky and found SCTV 1-4 stuck on a top shelf at the third store. Happy hunting!
Old 06-01-07, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They had them at the Marumsco Plaza store in Woodbridge, VA. I got SCTV 1+3, they still had copies of Vol. 1, 2, and 4 when I left. They also had All American Girl, Heathcliff and a bunch of Ellen and Poker stuff. The box was located at the very bottom in the DVD section. Took a minute to ring them up because none of the Vol. 1 sets had a sticker, resulting in an annoyed groan from the woman behind me, but they just scanned another SCTV set for me.
Old 06-01-07, 12:36 PM
Cool New Member

For Dallas area people, the Dollar General at Custer and Parker in Plano still has a copy each of SCTV Volumes 1, 2, and 3. I picked up 1-4. They have most of the sets other people have mentioned seeing too.
Old 06-01-07, 02:11 PM

hey CHRISP... I've been to 4 locations in nashville & south of nashville... and called the rest of them and have had no luck! specifically which location did you find yours at and did they have any more or did you get them all? which other locations did you browse with no luck (so I won't duplicate them this weekend!)
Old 06-01-07, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After striking out here in Michigan at the Wyandotte, Lincoln Park, Flat Rock & Brownstown (this one went out of business apparently) stores during my lunch breaks the last three days, I finally found everything I was looking for at the store in Wayne, MI after work today. I was happy because the Wayne store was the first one I stopped at after making a little map for myself at work this afternoon that consisted of five other stores in that area. Anyway, I picked up:

All-American Girl
Mike Hammer Private Eye
Miracles
SCTV 1-4

They still have copies of SCTV 1-3, All-American Girl, several of the Poker ones, Heathcliff & Ellen if anyone is interested.

Many thanks to bigjim25 for finding this awesome deal!!!
Old 06-01-07, 06:36 PM

Found volumes 1-3 of SCTV. Thanks!
Old 06-01-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update for SE Houston area - found all what I wanted @ 1st store on Fairmont Pkwy down in La Porte, Tx city limits (don't know exact street #) - just past Pasadena(TX) Convention Center.

They had them with the other DVDs & (uggh) VHS on an endcap. Saw several (2-3) copies of SCTV 1-3, only 1 of SCTV 4, couple of All-American Girl & Miracle: Complete Series, 6 or so of the Poker one & 1 each of the Ellen show, Garfield, and Mike Hammer: Private Eye.

I picked up one of SCTV 3 & the only 4 that I saw there. Well, that rounds out my SCTV series.

Thanks OP for the heads up.
Old 06-01-07, 08:30 PM

success! thanks OP! went to yet another out of the way and sure enough they had 2 each of 1, 2, & 3, and 1 of 4... so I got a complete set! they also had a handful of Ellen and the heathcliff & poker sets...

wow - 21 discs total for less than the list price of 1 set!!!

:-)
Old 06-01-07, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by mattress_man
For Dallas area people, the Dollar General at Custer and Parker in Plano still has a copy each of SCTV Volumes 1, 2, and 3. I picked up 1-4. They have most of the sets other people have mentioned seeing too.
Some of the Garland/Rowlett area stores also have them ... a friend picked-up SCTV 1-4 for him and me ... WPT 2 for me ... he didn't tell me which store (s) though ...
Old 06-01-07, 10:54 PM

No luck so far in OKC (three stores and counting)...
Old 06-01-07, 11:27 PM

Hit the first store in Atlanta on Moreland and they had crap will check another tommorrow when i go to run some errrands if anyone in Atlanta finds them please do post.
Old 06-02-07, 04:06 AM

Any word on Phoenix yet?
Old 06-02-07, 11:16 AM

I hit the 2 DG's in the Denver area...no dice.
Old 06-02-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been to 4 stores in the last 3 days in CNY with no luck. I wonder if Big Lots will get these...
Old 06-02-07, 01:10 PM

I'm in Rochester, if they make it to CNY post back, maybe our deliveries in the east are behind....
Old 06-02-07, 04:36 PM

No luck in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I did find the VHS box sets of HBO shows at one store out of four. They had Sex & the City, Six Feet Under, and Sopranos--hilarious to see those huge VHS sets.

Found HBO Scene It Game and Turner Classic Movies Scene It Game

One store had lots of recent movies on DVD. I did not make a complete list, but this is what I can remember.

Some were $6 and some were $10.

Talladega Nights
Legally Blonde
Christmas with the Kranks
Mystic River
Million Dollar Baby
Aviator
Mission Impossible 3

And some Martha Stewart DVDS as well as a couple of Lifetime movies.
Old 06-02-07, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by bearkiss
hey CHRISP... I've been to 4 locations in nashville & south of nashville... and called the rest of them and have had no luck! specifically which location did you find yours at and did they have any more or did you get them all? which other locations did you browse with no luck (so I won't duplicate them this weekend!)
I went to the three locations in Franklin. The one just off I-65 on Hwy. 96 had zilch and the one off Hillsboro Rd. (or what eventually becomes Hillsboro Rd.) had none. I picked up the only copies at the DG going towards Columbia on Columbia Ave.

I wouldn't take the word of the employees if you call because the stores aren't terribly organized.

But as you've already found them, the point is perhaps a bit moot.

Last edited by ChrisP; 06-02-07 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-02-07, 06:20 PM

Nothing in Brooklyn, MI.
Old 06-02-07, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by littlemiss
No luck in Lincoln, Nebraska.

One store had lots of recent movies on DVD. I did not make a complete list, but this is what I can remember.

Some were $6 and some were $10.

Talladega Nights
Legally Blonde
Christmas with the Kranks
Mystic River
Million Dollar Baby
Aviator
Mission Impossible 3

And some Martha Stewart DVDS as well as a couple of Lifetime movies.

a few of the stores I went to also had a great number of recent titles such as the ones listed as well as Borat and many others... but watch closely - they all had a small sticker that indicated "previously viewed" and had been re-shrink-wrapped... probably rental titles...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.