DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Toshiba to Offer $100 HD DVD Instant Rebate (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/500775-toshiba-offer-%24100-hd-dvd-instant-rebate.html)

sm8680 05-16-07 02:56 PM

Toshiba to Offer $100 HD DVD Instant Rebate

http://www.betanews.com/article/Tosh...ate/1179341508

By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
May 16, 2007, 3:00 PM
Beginning Sunday, Toshiba will be offering a $100 USD instant rebate on its entry-level HD DVD player for a period of one month, with the savings eventually being available on any player it sells.

The promotion will run from May 20 to June 16. For the entire period, the $100 instant rebate is applicable to the HD-A2 model, bringing the price down to $299.99 USD. During the final week, the rebate applies to any player.

This brings the prices down to $399.99 for the HD-A20, and $699.99 for the top-of-the-line HD-XA2. Additionally, during that final week period, if a consumer purchases a Toshiba made HDTV at a screen size of 42 inches or larger, the rebate would double to $200.

"We know that price is a powerful driver for consumers to adopt new technology," Toshiba marketing vice president Jodi Sally said in a statement.

In addition to the rebate, new marketing campaigns will also be launched. An HD DVD trailer will begin appearing during film screenings at 932 theaters nationwide, including to movie chains Regal, AMC, and Cinemark. The ads will air over a four week period.

Although a complete list of participating retailers was not provided, Toshiba noted that Best Buy, Circuit City, HHGregg, and Amazon.com will be participating.

According to surveys, Blu-ray is catching up quickly after trailing HD DVD by a wide margin. Data released in April indicated that three out of every four high-definition discs sold in March were in the Blu-ray format.

truelies 05-16-07 05:43 PM

If we can still get 6 HD dvd rebate, I will go to get an A20. I already have PS3.

Wallet Boy 05-16-07 06:16 PM

According to Speedy, next week's Best Buy circular will have the HD-A2 for $299.99 already. I can't tell if that is factoring in this rebate, but if not, that brings it down to $199.

EDIT: wait, just reread the first post - sounds like $299.99 is the final price

bboisvert 05-16-07 06:35 PM

Holy crap... $299 for an A2, plus 5 free movies from Toshiba:
http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....fer_advert.pdf

Plus Best Buy is giving 2 free films (your choice, excluding sets) if you also purchase The Matrix on HD DVD along with the player.

$380 for an HD DVD player, the Matrix Trilogy, and 7 HD DVDs. Seriously... you can't beat that with a stick. Plus, the A2 is pretty amazing at upconverting your standard DVDs.

thomkai 05-16-07 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
According to Speedy, next week's Best Buy circular will have the HD-A2 for $299.99 already. I can't tell if that is factoring in this rebate, but if not, that brings it down to $199.

EDIT: wait, just reread the first post - sounds like $299.99 is the final price

Unless the ad says the price is after instant rebate, I think you could argue it down to $199.99 if they try to do it at $399.99-$100.

MEJHarrison 05-16-07 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert

Plus Best Buy is giving 2 free films (your choice, excluding sets) if you also purchase The Matrix on HD DVD along with the player.

$380 for an HD DVD player, the Matrix Trilogy, and 7 HD DVDs. Seriously... you can't beat that with a stick. Plus, the A2 is pretty amazing at upconverting your standard DVDs.

Yep! I'm thinking of taking a vacation day next Tuesday just for this reason.

I went ahead and ordered an HDMI cable today from Monoprice. It's a 6 foot cable for $5.25 (plus $3.12 for shipping). That way I'll be ready on Tuesday. :banana:

I looked online at Best Buy for HDMI cable (more for a laugh than anything else) and they wanted $120 for a Monster HDMI cable (I think it was 8 foot, but wouldn't swear to it). -ohbfrank-

davron 05-16-07 08:32 PM

If you go to Toshiba's home page it states that if one purchase's one of their players the consumer will get (5) FREE HD DVD movies. So if a retailer is only forking out 4 ask them where the other one went to.

emachine12 05-16-07 09:03 PM

You got four HD DVDs free in store at Best Buy and STILL were able to send away for five more HD DVDs through the mail-in offer. This makes nine movies free.

bboisvert 05-16-07 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by davron
If you go to Toshiba's home page it states that if one purchase's one of their players the consumer will get (5) FREE HD DVD movies. So if a retailer is only forking out 4 ask them where the other one went to.

It's 4 in-store and then mail away for 5. It's 9 total.

thomkai 05-16-07 10:12 PM

It's 4 in-store and then mail away for 5. It's 9 total.

Er, sorry if I misunderstood, but where is this 4 in store coming from? Last I heard there was the buy matrix get two free + the 5 from the mial-away. Did I miss something? Cause if I can get NINE then I am buying an HD player this tuesday.

bboisvert 05-16-07 10:24 PM

4 free is the *current* deal (right now) at Best Buy. The $299 player and Matrix + 2 deal is *next* week. ;)

IamLegend 05-16-07 11:00 PM

Finally some price wars might be afoot....been on sidelines..might jump in :rock:

thomkai 05-16-07 11:44 PM

4 free is the *current* deal (right now) at Best Buy. The $299 player and Matrix + 2 deal is *next* week. ;)

OH sorry :P Dang... 9 free movies is pretty good. I wish I had the money for HD.

speedyray 05-17-07 12:45 AM

They are almost making me wish I waited, but I must admit I have enjoyed it a little too much so far. Still glad I jumped in early. May upgrade to XA2.

Michael Corvin 05-17-07 06:46 AM

So the current deal is 4 free is on the $399 price, right?

JackBurton 05-17-07 07:37 AM

This is an excellent package for anyone who is on the edge about going high def. A great deal.

speedy1961 05-17-07 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by thomkai
Unless the ad says the price is after instant rebate, I think you could argue it down to $199.99 if they try to do it at $399.99-$100.

Here's where Best Buy could get in trouble:

This deal is listed on Page #13:

It's got the HD-A2 player with the price tag that says $299.99 AFTER $100 Instant Savings.

My guess is that they'll argue that they've already taken the $100 discount off. Under the Player text, it states Regular Price = $399.99

Over at CAG, there's someone who reports that the $100 discount is factored in (which makes sense).

JayDerek 05-17-07 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by JackBurton
This is an excellent package for anyone who is on the edge about going high def. A great deal.

:thumbsup:

Definitely. Seriously guys, if you're on the fence, this is a no-brainer. Worse case scenario if HD-DVD doesn't last, you'll still have a very NICE DVD player.

Shannon Nutt 05-17-07 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by JayDerek
:thumbsup:

Definitely. Seriously guys, if you're on the fence, this is a no-brainer. Worse case scenario if HD-DVD doesn't last, you'll still have a very NICE DVD player.

Not to mention one of the best upconverting ones on the market.

stingermck 05-17-07 08:47 AM

Opinion time! I currently have the 360 ad-on, and am building a decent HD library. Is it worth it to sell the ad-on, and get the standalone?

Raw_and_Vital 05-17-07 08:49 AM

So is it 299 or 399 after the rebate.

Original price on the website is 499 I believe. So after 100 dollar rebate it would be 399. But someone said there is a tag that stated 299 after 100 dollar rebate. I am considering getting an hd dvd player with my tax return money if this deal is 299 plus 4 in store dvds and 5 mail away dvd's. Great deal.

Bill Geiger 05-17-07 08:58 AM

I am happy with my $199.99 purchase for basically a new A2 on ebay!

This is a great deal for those on the fence.

The thing with the free HD DVDS is, they are not the best of selections. But free is free.

sotra 05-17-07 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
So is it 299 or 399 after the rebate.

Original price on the website is 499 I believe. So after 100 dollar rebate it would be 399. But someone said there is a tag that stated 299 after 100 dollar rebate. I am considering getting an hd dvd player with my tax return money if this deal is 299 plus 4 in store dvds and 5 mail away dvd's. Great deal.

speedy says it is 299, but you don't get the 4 in store DVDs. You can only get that instore this week, but when the new pricepoint starts next week they stop offering the 4 instore offer. At least that's how I understood it.

bmello 05-17-07 09:44 AM

This is good news but they still need to come up with a batch of Cataloge HD titles and sell them for $9.99 so the General Public might be willing to jump in.

rfduncan 05-17-07 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by bmello
This is good news but they still need to come up with a batch of Cataloge HD titles and sell them for $9.99 so the General Public might be willing to jump in.

Ding-ding-ding! The released titles are mostly lame and extremely pricey. $299 is still too expensive in my book considering HD DVD may still lose the format war. I'm staying away until someone is declared a winner