Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Does Best Buy price-match competitor's sale ads?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure they do, but does Best Buy match the competitors weekly sale ad's?

The reason I ask is the Circuit City near me NEVER has anything advertised on sale, and if they do, they have a single copy that takes an hour to find. I'm going to pick up Seasons 1-4 of The Shield next week, and would like to just take the ad to Best Buy if they will match the Circuit City price.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks!
-Stephen
Old 05-13-07, 11:34 AM

Yes they do. I always price match everything I find at Best Buy with Frys....since Frys tends to be a bit cheaper...=)
Old 05-13-07, 11:34 AM

Ya, just bring the ad in or a printed out page from their website.
Old 05-13-07, 11:36 AM

Alrighty, guys. Thanks a billion. Makes life easier since Best Buy is so much easier to shop through.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-07, 11:44 AM

Yep, and you can also pre-buy, then do the PM once the CC ad comes out. That serves two purposes:

1. You ensure you get the items you want since they are more likely to be in-stock at full price.
2. You will save an additional 10% of the difference.

This is what I am doing today. I am picking up The Shield 1-4 at BB and I will go back to BB next sunday with the CC ad to PM. Should come out to approx $14.99 per season.
Old 05-13-07, 12:37 PM

I've always found Best Buy a FREAKIN PAIN to pricematch at. They always call and ask is such and such in stock. I usally pricematch at a wallyworld no questions no calls just show the ad they match it. I might have better luck buying the product then going back and pricematching a few days later but never had enough initiative to try.
Old 05-13-07, 01:17 PM

Every BBuy is going to price match. How much of a pain it may be will vary from store to store, day to day, employee to employee. Some will call to check availability, others won't - which is a very good thing when you know it's not there.

WalMart is less restrictive about pricematching if you have the ad. Back when BBuy screwed up royally and put Seasons 1-3 of Enterprise in an ad for $45 each - with some stores honoring it, others not - I went to WalMart and they pricematched... even on Season 4.
Old 05-13-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The other option is to just pre-buy it at Circuit City late on Saturday before the sale. They always bring out fresh stock for the next day's DVD sales and usually have everything available. You will just have to bring in your receipt during the sale week to get your price adjusted but they will give you the 110% price guarantee without a hassle, unlike my experience at BB.
Old 05-13-07, 03:23 PM

Can you use a 12% off coupon after price matching?Anyone know?
Old 05-13-07, 05:36 PM

I've price-matched at Best Buy from a CC ad before with no problem. Just took the CC ad and the DVD to the cashier and had the price adjusted.
Old 05-13-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toxie321
Can you use a 12% off coupon after price matching?Anyone know?
absolutely not. That would defeat the purpose of pricematching...
but! of course, you could have a naive employee.

But according to policy, no.
Old 05-13-07, 10:34 PM

Actually, I used to work there and i'm pretty sure they just told us to manually put in the 12%. It was either on that or on in combination with the 5$ off.
Old 05-14-07, 05:09 AM

They would never let me combine two money savers. I couldn't combine $5 reward zone and 10% off; couldn't use either with a price match; I'm sure they wanted to make a rule excluding gift cards at some point
Old 05-14-07, 05:48 AM

The big thing with BB and most stores PM policy is that they won't match "events". what i mean by that is 1 or 2 day sales. Best example off the top of my head is the HBO 50% off sale on Christmas Eve last year. I tried to PM at CC (i had pre-bought to make sure that the dvds were in-stock) and they said they wouldn't match them. luckily BB still had them instock for me and i just returned them at CC. Anyother time i haven't had much of a problem. Pre-buying will save you 10%. even if you walk in, buy the items, then walk over to CS. stupid i know, but thats how they do it.
Old 05-14-07, 06:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok I want to make sure I have this right, because I have never PM'd before and today I went to Circuit City and they were already out of their sale stuff so I want to use this next week just in case for The Shield. I can get a Circuit City ad, go to Best Buy, buy the seasons I want, then take the dvd's and the ad to CS and have them PM and get 10%? Wow lol considering the seasons are 50 on the website and this will come out to 16.50ish. Will it be a store credit or actual cash?
Old 05-14-07, 07:22 AM

Unless they changed their policy it should be cash.
Old 05-14-07, 07:42 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I generally like the price matching at Circuit City better, the cashiers can just press a button, and the extra 10% is automatically done on the register, and you are in and out of the store. Best Buy doesn't give you the extra 10% (unless you purchase first then go to customer service, two trips), plus the cashier gets out a pad of paper and has to fill out a form by hand and sometime they have to get a manager to sign off, taking a couple extra minutes of time to get through.
Old 05-14-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BB has never given me the additional 10%. I usually forget to tell them, they dont seem to do it unless you bring it up. Doesnt matter much if im saving a few bucks already.
Old 05-14-07, 11:10 AM

So, wait, you take the ad from Circuit City and the unopened seasons from Best Buy BACK to Circuit City, and they'll give you the difference back AND 10% off even though you never even bought anything from that store? They are essentially giving you $30+ on each season? I think I'm misunderstanding this.

Can someone clear this up, and explain how to do the whole return/PM thing the right way so I can get the best price?

Thanks again,
-Stephen
Old 05-14-07, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by StephenX
So, wait, you take the ad from Circuit City and the unopened seasons from Best Buy BACK to Circuit City, and they'll give you the difference back AND 10% off even though you never even bought anything from that store? They are essentially giving you $30+ on each season? I think I'm misunderstanding this.

Can someone clear this up, and explain how to do the whole return/PM thing the right way so I can get the best price?

Thanks again,
-Stephen
I think what they're saying is... buy the DVDs at BB... wait for the CC ad to come out a few days after that (the next Sunday) then go back to BB with the CC ad in hand and show them the price difference... they will then credit your card back the difference.

Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 05-14-07, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
I think what they're saying is... buy the DVDs at BB... wait for the CC ad to come out a few days after that (the next Sunday) then go back to BB with the CC ad in hand and show them the price difference... they will then credit your card back the difference.

Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong on that.
How do I do it to get the extra 10% off? This way, or is there another procedure to get the PM plus 10%?
Old 05-14-07, 11:51 AM

Ok, Circuit City will price match and give 10% off right there. At Bestbuy you need to buy an item, come back later with just the receipt and the ad, they then will give you the price differnce plus 10%. But it sounds like you need to remind them of the extra 10% or they will conveniantly forget it. As far as I know they have to give the price differnece in Cash but this might have changed
Old 05-14-07, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by StephenX
How do I do it to get the extra 10% off? This way, or is there another procedure to get the PM plus 10%?
i'm a little confused by your question.... i think

you show them the CC ad and your original purchase receipt.

it's possible you're trying to make this more complicated than it is

perhaps, go into a Best Buy today or call one and ask them to go over their Price Match policy with you.

that's prob. your best bet

good luck!
Old 05-14-07, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD
I generally like the price matching at Circuit City better, the cashiers can just press a button, and the extra 10% is automatically done on the register, and you are in and out of the store. Best Buy doesn't give you the extra 10% (unless you purchase first then go to customer service, two trips), plus the cashier gets out a pad of paper and has to fill out a form by hand and sometime they have to get a manager to sign off, taking a couple extra minutes of time to get through.
^ This is what I'm talking about. The 'extra' 10%. How does that come about?
Old 05-14-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember, it's 10% of the difference, not 10% of the total price.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.