Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Homicide complete series $108.69 @ DD

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipHP
A&E has it on sale for $113.37 ... a banner on the Home Page states ... Take $15 Off your order of $75 or more at our Spring Sale ... when you add it to the cart it shows $98.37 ... plus $7.95 shipping ... for a total of $106.32 ...

A banner on the Cart Page states ... Take $20 off your order of $100 or more at our Spring Sale (Discount applied in Shopping Cart. Offer expires 5/9/07) ... but for some reason only $15 is deucted from the $113.37 ... rather than $20 ... you can get free shipping if you use a Mastercard (which I don't have) ...
I bought this from A&E about a month ago when they had a 20% off sale. When I tried to apply the coupon online it kept giving me 15% off instead. I ended up calling them and talking to the most helpful CSA ever and she adjusted the price to give me the 20% off. I also had a free shipping coupon code at the time and she let me use it even though I was in Canada. My suggestion is to call them.

The total for me was $152 shipped. Now of course the price drops! Anyway, it's an amazing series and you would be crazy to not order it for ~$100 (7 seasons + a movie!).
Old 04-30-07, 11:44 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChipHP
A&E has it on sale for $113.37 ... a banner on the Home Page states ... Take $15 Off your order of $75 or more at our Spring Sale ... when you add it to the cart it shows $98.37 ... plus $7.95 shipping ... for a total of $106.32 ...

A banner on the Cart Page states ... Take $20 off your order of $100 or more at our Spring Sale (Discount applied in Shopping Cart. Offer expires 5/9/07) ... but for some reason only $15 is deucted from the $113.37 ... rather than $20 ... you can get free shipping if you use a Mastercard (which I don't have) ...
nice, thanks!! i'm gonna check that out right now.

i always forget how many amazing actors passed through the make-up chairs of Homicide (not counting all the strictly L&O cast)

Belzer
Yaphet Koto
Kyle Secor (Veronica Mars)
Isabella Hoffman
Clayton LeBouef
Reed Diamond (Judging Amy)
Daniel Baldwin (ok, not amazing - but good)
Ned Beatty (EPIC! takes up any Baldwin slack)
Michelle Forbes (Prison Break)
Giancarlo Esposito (one of my favs of all time)

also most of the writers rule too
Old 04-30-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called their 1888 number and made the order that way. they just took the $20 off and I got it for 101.32

(so I second calling! that was the most pleasant phone order I've ever placed...)
Old 04-30-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Their phone reps are great. FYI, the 20$ is supposed to be for Civil War titles, so if you have the homicide set and add a Civil War dvd, it will take 20$ off of that title, but the 15$ off dissappears from the Homicide set.

If you call in, I wouldn't be surprised if they give you both discounts.
Old 04-30-07, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieM
... Anyway, it's an amazing series and you would be crazy to not order it for ~$100 (7 seasons + a movie!).
Homocide was one of my favorite programs when it first appeared on TV ... I don't think I missed many episodes ... I would definitely be a buyer at $93 shipped ... anyone know of any other free shipping options? ...
Old 04-30-07, 12:33 PM

One more set of praise for their customer service - I just called them to mention that the sale price I bought it for last month is actually more than their regular price now - the CSA gave me a refund of the difference of what I paid and the new sale price! Best customer service ever!
Old 04-30-07, 01:07 PM

thanks op! i'm going to try it out as a blind buy. saw some clips on youtube and looks good.
Old 04-30-07, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieM
One more set of praise for their customer service - I just called them to mention that the sale price I bought it for last month is actually more than their regular price now - the CSA gave me a refund of the difference of what I paid and the new sale price! Best customer service ever!
i tried that and was told that it was only for "new sales". i'm thinking of calling back again later to see if i can get a different answer. i'm still in the 60 day return policy, so i would think i could make the "argument" that i could buy a new one and return the old one.

very friendly though! the CSR actually sounded disappointed that she couldn't help me.
Old 04-30-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you like The Wire, I'd be surprised if you don't enjoy Homicide. It's probably in my top 3 shows of all time (along with Babylon 5 and Arrested Development).

As for the DVDs, you should be aware that there aren't any subtitles or closed captioning (and this show needs it). Also this show has a very gritty look to it. So don't expect a pristine picture.
Old 04-30-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
nice, thanks!! i'm gonna check that out right now.

i always forget how many amazing actors passed through the make-up chairs of Homicide (not counting all the strictly L&O cast)

Belzer
Yaphet Koto
Kyle Secor (Veronica Mars)
Isabella Hoffman
Clayton LeBouef
Reed Diamond (Judging Amy)
Daniel Baldwin (ok, not amazing - but good)
Ned Beatty (EPIC! takes up any Baldwin slack)
Michelle Forbes (Prison Break)
Giancarlo Esposito (one of my favs of all time)

also most of the writers rule too
Don't forget Erik Dellums (Luther Mahoney - one of the most unsettling "bad guys" ever to grace the small screen)
Michael Michele (couple of seasons of ER)
Melissa Leo (did an amazing guest spot on CSI)
Max Perlich (Brodie - what a fabulous edition he was to the cast!)
Toni Lewis (guest stints on Heroes, House, Oz and The Wire)
Callie Thorne (Prison Break and Rescue Me)

and, of course, one of the best actors EVER (IMHO)....

Andre Braugher!
Old 04-30-07, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Don't forget Erik Dellums (Luther Mahoney - one of the most unsettling "bad guys" ever to grace the small screen)
Michael Michele (couple of seasons of ER)
Melissa Leo (did an amazing guest spot on CSI)
Max Perlich (Brodie - what a fabulous edition he was to the cast!)
Toni Lewis (guest stints on Heroes, House, Oz and The Wire)
Callie Thorne (Prison Break and Rescue Me)

and, of course, one of the best actors EVER (IMHO)....

Andre Braugher!

true! all true!

the casting was always good on homicide, even for smaller or one-off roles.

also, i was messing around with the different discounts on aetv.com and they're pretty clever about their tiered discounting. to get the free shipping, you have to spend $100 (subtotal) or over w/MC - but a $100 purchase triggers the next tier of deal and increases the subtotal but gives you a different % off.

if you're not paying attention you can spend more than you mean to. calling sounds like the best idea.

i added S1 of Digging For The Truth to push my order over the century mark and it showed up in the cart as a 'Free Gift' charging me nothing for that set, but upping the price of Homicide by about 10, which is the current media price for DFTT S1. haha. sneaky!

so with the larger order i got free shipping but was charged tax.
with the smaller order i paid shipping but there was no tax added.

lol.

Last edited by An4h0ny; 04-30-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 03:28 PM

Just called A&E's order line.... Here is how the order broke down:

Homicide complete series - $113.37
Kids in the Hall s1 - $7.99
- minus $20 off $100 Discount
Sub Total - $101.36
Free UPS Ground Shipping w/ Mastercard of orders $100+
no Tax

So basically I got Complete Homicide + Kids in the Hall s1 for $101.36 shipped

EXCELLENT DEAL.
Old 04-30-07, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jackepstein
Just called A&E's order line.... Here is how the order broke down:

Homicide complete series - $113.37
Kids in the Hall s1 - $7.99
- minus $20 off $100 Discount
Sub Total - $101.36
Free UPS Ground Shipping w/ Mastercard of orders $100+
no Tax

So basically I got Complete Homicide + Kids in the Hall s1 for $101.36 shipped

EXCELLENT DEAL.
yeah if you don't already own KITH season one, it's (imo) the best add-on to get that discount. two of the coolest shows to ever be on TV!

roughly $2.60 a disc, i think
nice one.
Old 04-30-07, 06:11 PM

update to my previous post.

called back just now, talked to "Michelle". All i can say is wow. Friendly and extremely helpful. no questions asked, didn't need to talk to anyone, just credited back almost $28 to my credit card due to the savings.

Hands down the best customer service experience i have had. i will be shopping there again for sure. thanks everyone for the heads up on the price drop
Old 06-09-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's $77.90 with 20% off at DDD now. What a bargain!
Old 06-09-07, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
It's $77.90 with 20% off at DDD now. What a bargain!
Better bargin last week when they had B1G1 free...$54 each if you bought two..
Put one on EBAY and you have a free one..
DG
Old 06-10-07, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by disneyguy
Better bargin last week when they had B1G1 free...$54 each if you bought two..
Put one on EBAY and you have a free one..
DG
I ordered two sets during the b1g1 sale, but they canceled by order saying it was discontinued. Now they seem to have it in stock.........

I will have to call tomorrow, and see what they will do.
Old 06-10-07, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I'd almost guarantee it would go up.

Almost.

Went down to just under $100, making it $77.90 shipped.
Old 06-10-07, 12:48 PM

I ordered two during the DD B1G1 free sale for $108 on May 24th and it was back ordered. I know someone who had there order cause they said it was discontinued and they ordered it a day or 2 after me. But then came back in stock on June 3rd and mine shipped on the 5th. I still haven't received them yet but if you had your order canceled during the sale not sure if they will honor the price or not?
Old 06-10-07, 01:42 PM

I asked over at the DD 20% off thread and I'll ask here. This set sounds good and the price is great but the set seems to offer neither English subtitles nor closed captioning. My ears aren't what they use to be and some older series don't have the best sound. I don't want to pass on this but there is no point getting it if I cann't understand what's going on.

Does anyone here know for sure if there are subtitles or captioning? Thanks.
Old 06-10-07, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
I asked over at the DD 20% off thread and I'll ask here. This set sounds good and the price is great but the set seems to offer neither English subtitles nor closed captioning. My ears aren't what they use to be and some older series don't have the best sound. I don't want to pass on this but there is no point getting it if I cann't understand what's going on.

Does anyone here know for sure if there are subtitles or captioning? Thanks.
I just got the series set about a week ago and I'm in the middle of season 3, so I checked the next episode I was on and there are NOT any subtitles for the show. Sorry.
Old 06-10-07, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
I just got the series set about a week ago and I'm in the middle of season 3, so I checked the next episode I was on and there are NOT any subtitles for the show. Sorry.
Thanks for the response.
Old 06-10-07, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
Thanks for the response.
No problem. Sorry that you're going to have to miss the show. It's been great rewatching all these episodes. I hadn't seen much of the show since it originally aired, and it's still every bit as great as I remembered. I'm not hard of hearing, but I also tend to get irritated sometimes when shows don't put subtitles on their DVD's. Sometimes even with good hearing, it's hard to make out everything that actors say, both in movies and on TV shows.
Old 06-11-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not only is this set lacking both subtitles and CC, it's a series that really needs it. I think people are much harder to understand on this show than your average series.