Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

FASSBINDER wellspring titles $5.98 @ DD!

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FASSBINDER wellspring titles $5.98 @ DD!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-07, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASSBINDER wellspring titles $5.98 @ DD!- A NICER LIST

these might be in another link but i thought i'd point these out to fassbinder fans.
maybe there is a link somewhere for this sale but i didn't see a banner on their site.
i'd do a search for fassbinder too- as i think there are more wellspring titles that possibly might be part of this sale.

HERE'S A BETTER LIST-edited @ 1:05pm est-
Beware of a Holy Whore
Effi Briest
Fear of Fear
Katzelmacher
Love is Colder than Death
Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven
Chinese Roulette
Satan's Brew

and
Fox and His Friends for $8.24

also, this documentary is awesome for $5.98

Alfred Stieglitz: The Eloquent Eye

Last edited by elektrohog; 04-28-07 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-28-07, 10:10 AM

don't forget the merchant of four seasons!
Old 04-28-07, 10:42 AM

Wow, nice catch! I have had my eye on many of those for a long time.
Old 04-28-07, 10:54 AM

shit, an a couple more for $5.98...amazing!

Chinese Roulette
Satan's Brew

and
Fox and His Friends for $8.94
Old 04-28-07, 11:04 AM

Other Fassbinder at that magic $5.98 price point:

Satan's Brew
Katzelmacher
Chinese Roulette
Fox and His Friend ($8.24, but what's two bucks?)

THANKS for this posting. This really beefs up my Fassbinder library, now just have to wait for Criterion's release of Berlin Alexanderplatz!
Old 04-28-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all gone? can't find any of them.
Old 04-28-07, 04:35 PM

search by title...

very few fassbinder titles come up when you search by director

try again PopcornTreeCt...they're there still.
Old 04-28-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I found them. I had to search each title individually and that to me is ridiculous. I also had to fill out my credit card info again because apparently they lost it when they changed the site. Wow, for a site that gets so much business their website really blows. But a good deal nonetheless.
Old 04-28-07, 05:06 PM

yep, the page layouts on the site blow!
and you would think they'd have proper search criteria for directors...
but by god, they always got great deals!
i probably paid $15+ for each of these a few years ago.
Old 04-28-07, 05:18 PM
Suspended

i see you've all neglected to read the copious and helpful tips on searching provided by DD...

"SEARCH TIPS"

Use more than one word (There's no way you thought of that yourself! Admit it!)
Using more than one word helps narrow down the search criteria. For example, if you're looking for Tom Cruise movies, entering "tom cruise" will deliver more relevant results than just "cruise."

Be specific
Use specific words, as opposed to general ones. For example, a search for "Ferrari" will return more targeted results than a search for "sports cars."

Old 04-28-07, 05:34 PM

ok An4hOny, so a search for FASSBINDER or RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER (more than one word) yield the same results.
not sure what your point is.
DD's search function continues to blow because the $5.98 titles still don't come up with either search.
Old 04-28-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alias Betty
Atlantic City Jackpot
Barbarians
Bartleby
Bay Of Angels
Beware of a Holy Whore
Cesar And Rosalie
Cinemania
Directors: Sidney Lumet
Effi Briest
Elective Affinities
Friday Night
Grace Kelly: American Princess
Katzelmacher
Kurosawa
Les Liaisons Dangeruses
Merchant Of Four Seasons
Mile Zero Mystery
Natural Beauty Natural Pain Relief
Next Big Thing, The
Queen Of Sheba
Rebels Of The Neon God
Satan's Brew Foreign
Scavengers, The
Two Nights With Cleopatra

Never heard of any of them. These are the Wellspring titles that come up at Dvdpricesearch for 5.98 at DDD.

Old 04-28-07, 07:00 PM

The "price bite" icon makes me think this is a price reduction, not a sale.
Old 04-28-07, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by elektrohog
ok An4hOny, so a search for FASSBINDER or RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER (more than one word) yield the same results.
not sure what your point is.
DD's search function continues to blow because the $5.98 titles still don't come up with either search.
maybe your sarcasm meter is broken

i'll put a / after remarks like that from now on...

i guess

anyway, my entire point was that their search function and most of the site design sucks despite their quality deals.
Old 04-28-07, 08:00 PM

i think i left my sarcasm meter back in that post about the odd couple S1 @ wal-mart from this morning.
i'll try to lighten up!

Originally Posted by jimbeam
The "price bite" icon makes me think this is a price reduction, not a sale.
the reason why i don't think these are price reduced across the board is that there are about 4 to 6 other wellspring fassbinder titles (from the same series with the "films of rainer werner fassbinder" text sideways on the front cover) that are not offered with this sale...RIO DAS MORTES, GODS OF THE PLAGUE, THE AMERICAN SOLDIER, BITTER TEARS OF PETRA VON KANT.
also, no other vendor has these at this price yet according to dvdpricesearch.
Old 04-28-07, 08:02 PM

Which of these are the "essentials"?
Old 04-28-07, 08:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Anna Karina
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I have only seen Ali... and Marriage of Maria Braun (both of which I loved) and I have always been interested in getting more.
Old 04-28-07, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by EEz28
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I have only seen Ali... and Marriage of Maria Braun (both of which I loved) and I have always been interested in getting more.
I don't think any of these are Fassbinder essentials.
Check out the other 2 Criterion Fassbinder dvds for those;
but I guess, from what I've heard, that Chinese Roulette would be the most famous of his from these.
Old 04-28-07, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dman988
I don't think any of these are Fassbinder essentials.
Check out the other 2 Criterion Fassbinder dvds for those;
but I guess, from what I've heard, that Chinese Roulette would be the most famous of his from these.
I really need to get around to finishing up that box set, never enough time. Thanks for the chinese roulette suggestion.
Old 04-28-07, 08:55 PM

These are all second or third-tier Fassbinder. I would probably recommend Effi Briest, Beware of a Holy Whore, and The Merchant of Four Seasons.

I wonder why The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant and American Soldier did not get similar price reductions. I would have a easier time recommending those two Wellspring Fassbinders.

As others have noted, the essential Fassbinders (except In a Year with 13 Moons and Fox and his Friends) were licensed to Criterion.
Old 04-29-07, 01:23 AM

Wow, Friday Night the Claire Denis film? That is a great price. I watched this film 3 days ago and fell in love with how Denis and Agnes Godard work the camera to create the sense of timing and place. I heartily recommend it.

Since it appears to be a price drop I am tempted to wait until the sale. I want a few Fassbinders for sure, Friday Night, and Rebels of the Neon God. I can recommend Rebels strongly as well.
Old 04-29-07, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Alias Betty-One of the better Claude Miller works with a spectacular entry by Sandrine Kiberlain. I personally would recommend that you seek his La Petite Lili (thematically very close to Ozon’s Swimming Pool). Unfortunately this a PAL-port. The partially good news is that it is anamorphic, the UK disc isn't. For what its worth the UK disc has better cover (not that it matters much)!

Atlantic City Jackpot – this one I barely remember because I got it with Malle’s Atlantic City. Poor film, poor presentation (rip-off cover, DeVitto is a cameo).

Bay Of Angels-This is actually an essential Jacques Demy (after Deneuve’s classic Donkey Skin) picture. As far as I know the only English-friendly version of this film. It is unfortunately non-progressive but the disc did indeed go OOP so these must be some “recently-found” copies.

Beware of a Holy Whore- Just like the rest of the Fassbinder titles this one is not in its original aspect ratio. Which happens to be 1.66:1. The French release is but it is not English-friendly. The transfer is slightly above average but to be honest well-worth the money. I would not hesitate recommending it. Great film as well, probably one of the best Fassbinder titles in the Wellsping catalog. I can not agree that it is a second-tier!

Cesar And Rosalie-I don’t really think that this film needs any extra props. It is one of Sautet’s best (I would also recommend MADO) but unfortunately the transfer is horrendous. Perhaps with the upcoming Criterion introduction of Sautet more of the director's films will show in R1 land. It is a shame that he is treated this poorly in the USA. Clearly Sautet is as important as Rivette. Still, Avoid!

Effi Briest- another Fassbinder entry with another average transfer. It is again not in the original aspect ratio (despite what some claim) but very close. I would not mind picking it up at this price given the fact that it is very unlikely that this title will appear in better condition any time soon.

Elective Affinities- Great little film, actually I wrote a review for it. Both Bentivoglio and Huppert are great but the transfer comes from an analog-master. I would look for something else by the Taviani Bros (which is a tough task as all of their titles are treated very poorly in R1 land). Avoid!

Friday Night– Spectacular film. I actually liked it much better than Claire Denis’ vampire entry, and certainly better than L’Intrus. The transfer is not bad at all, I would snap it even though there is minor “ghosting” here suggesting improper conversion.

Katzelmacher-Really like this film but unfortunately the transfer is on par with the rest of the Fassbinder titles. I would recommend though.

Les Liaisons Dangeruses- This adaptation is a mess. And even though it has Catherine Deneuve in it I was anything but impressed by it. The French critics also slammed it hard. On top of everything else the transfer is quite poor!

Merchant Of Four Seasons- I strongly recommend this Fassbinder film. This is an essential film which if you have even the slightest of interest in the director’s work then you should add it to your collection. Beware: heavy literary references.

Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven-one of the few Fassbinder titles available in R1 I have not seen. Unfortunately I can not comment on it.

Queen Of Sheba- a marquee Lorber product=duff. Avoid!

Rebels Of The Neon God- not as strong as The Wayward Cloud, and I know that the film was heavily criticized, but if you like Tsai’s style and eccentricity or are curious about seeing one of his films without spending much perhaps you could spare 5$ and take a look at it. I personally liked it. Unfortunately the transfer is below-average!

Satan's Brew -quite close thematically to Barbet Schroeder’s Maitresse. The finale is predictable but the main protagonist is twisted enough to provide more than a few laughs. Worth the 5$. Once again everything said above about the Fassbinder’s discs applies here.

Scavengers, The- Unfortunately I can not comment on this film.

Two Nights With Cleopatra- Avoid, avoid, avoid!! One of the few Alberto Sordi film available in the US (pretty much all of the Italian discs representing his work are NOT English friendly) and this one is a duff. Don’t even think about spending money on. A shame!!

Ok,
Ciao,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-29-07 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-29-07, 01:54 AM

Thank you pro-b. I did not see Bay of Angels there, I have not seen it but I love Moreau and have just seen Lola by Demy.

Some other ones I noticed... it will maybe just take some digging around the site.

The Hole (Tsai)
The Book of Life (Hal Hartley)

I VERY strongly recommend them both.
Old 04-29-07, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just ordered two titles that i've been wanting to get:
Humanite
Boy Meets Girl
It looks like this $5.98 is a new price reduction but also likely to be temporary.
Old 04-29-07, 03:31 AM

Ended up with

Beware of a Holy Whore
Fear of Fear
Katzelmacher
Merchant of Four Seasons
Hole

Order Total: $38.46

Thanks, OP.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.