Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

FASSBINDER wellspring titles $5.98 @ DD!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

FASSBINDER wellspring titles $5.98 @ DD!

Old 04-29-07, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd also put MERCHANT OF THE FOUR SEASONS in the Fassbinder Essentials category. It was the first of his films to gain an international reputation. EFFIE BRIEST is a real anomaly--a faithful adaptation of a turn of the century novel, unlike anything else he ever did.

I'm putting them on my wishlist in anticipation of the next 20% off sale.
Old 04-29-07, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
It looks like this $5.98 is a new price reduction but also likely to be temporary.
again, i don't think these are permanent prices (just my opinion).
there are many other wellspring titles (fassbinder & others) in this price range/release year that aren't observed by this price drop.
it looks like it's only on select titles.

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I'm putting them on my wishlist in anticipation of the next 20% off sale.
i'd get them now. a lot of times i get burned on these sales that take place a few weeks ahead of the big one- the prices go back up and aren't a bargain even after 20% off.

Last edited by elektrohog; 04-29-07 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-30-07, 09:38 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, pro-b, I appreciate the rundowns. You left off Fox & His Friends which, though priced higher, IS pretty essential Fassbinder.
Old 04-30-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And, pro-B... definitely check out "Muther Kusters Goes to Heaven". I think it's one of Fassbinder's finest. Along with "Fox and His Friends".
Old 04-30-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

MrE and Rich:...point taken, will do!

Pro-B
Old 04-30-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by elektrohog
again, i don't think these are permanent prices (just my opinion).
there are many other wellspring titles (fassbinder & others) in this price range/release year that aren't observed by this price drop.
it looks like it's only on select titles.
The way I interpret these prices is that two things are taking place:
1. There appears to be a permanent price reduction coming in early May.
2. On top of that there is a sale on these select titles contingent upon the lower MSRP.
However, I think that the price drop isn't going to be great and these prices are likely to be historic lows for these DVDs (even if you wait for the SUPERSALE 20% off). So I'd suggest getting them now if you want them. Arthouse foreign movie DVDs are never this cheap.
Old 04-30-07, 09:39 PM

It is difficult to find many reviews for the Fassbinder titles on sale. Slant Magazine and Digitally Obsessed reviewed some of the titles.

The following is a series of terse reviews found at boxoffice.com that may be helpful:

Katzelmacher

***** (Audio: C+, Video: B+, Features: D-)

The best of the three new films is quite probably "Katzelmacher," an adaptation of Fassbinder's own play about racism and xenophobia among Germany's postwar generation of youth. Far from an indictment of German culture, "Katzelmacher" indicts all of humankind, all of human ignorance and intolerance, mincing no words but never appearing ham-fisted. The characters never seem like cogs in a message-machine, though the message and its troubling confessions are laced throughout every line of dialogue and the trace of every brow.

Fox and His Friends

*** (Audio: B, Video: B+, Features: C)

The second film, "Fox and his Friends" (sometimes also known as "Fox"), is rougher and tougher in nature but no less accomplished. Fassbinder himself stars as a gay sideshow performer faced with a roller-coaster life, a semi-autobiographical role with loads of seething commentary on Germany and Hollywood buried under the surface. It's difficult to watch but also compelling, the kind of Fassbinder film on which detractors often wrongly fixate as an example of his work's indulgence and debauchery. A closer analysis of this along with "Merchant," however, reveal an artist at ease with his own pain and discomfort. And audiences are all the richer for it.

Merchant of Four Seasons

**** (Audio: B, Video: B+, Features: A)

"The Merchant of Four Seasons" is the best of the two new ones. Made in 1971, the simple but powerful tale of a fruit merchant's total life disintegration is a powerful metaphor for workplace anxiety and social displacement in the post-industrial age. It's humanistic and poetic, devastatingly intimate in every facet. One of the great German films of the past thirty years and easily one of Fassbinder's finest.
This DVD features the only significant extras of the two new titles -- an audio commentary by Fassbinder friend and contemporary Wim Wenders and a pair of sterling documentaries on Fassbinder's oeuvre. The Wenders commentary is especially lovely, a kind of tone-poem in and of itself. Wenders is a superb analyst of Fassbinder's work but also offers personal insights which few others could. He also reveals the fascinating parallels between their two lives and works -- both were both in 1945 with doctor fathers, growing up in the same formative postwar German society, eventually attending the same film school. Wenders comments are particularly noteworthy for followers of the New German Cinema of which Wenders and Fassbinder are still regarded as key figures.
The two documentaries -- "Life, Love and Celluloid" and "The Many Women of Fassbinder" -- are equally superb. The first runs about 90 minutes, the second roughly an hour. Between the two of them, there's little left unexplored in the life and work of Rainer Werner Fassbinder. All that remains is to see the rest of his filmography released to DVD.

Effi Briest

****1/2 (Audio: B, Video: A-, Features: F+)

"Effi Briest" is the clear "must have" among the four -- the 1974 adaptation of Theodor Fontane's classic novel which, in many ways, transcends its source material. Fassbinder regular Hanna Schygulla stars in the story about a young woman who marries a Baron only to fall into an ill-advised affair with a military officer. Yes, this is similar to "Madame Bovary" and almost identical to David Lean's Bovariation "Ryan's Daughter." But the classic setup still works, and in Fassbinder's hands it's powerful and potent.

Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven

**** (Audio: B-, Video: B-, Features: F+)

"Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven" is less impressive, but just barely. It's also frighteningly timely in view of what continues to happen in American society. The story centers on a workplace murder/suicide and the nightmare that the killer's wife must endure in the period that follows. Never one to shy away from social and political concerns, Fassbinder here works them like a maestro works an orchestra, offering a wide variety of viewpoints -- some cynical, some hopeful, many ambiguous. Wellspring has thankfully included the film's original ending here, too, as an additional chapter selection at the end of the film. It doesn't radically change the meaning of the movie, but it's interesting, after seeing it, that Fassbinder only included it for the American release.

Beware of a Holy Whore

***1/2 (Audio: B, Video: B, Features: D-)

"Beware a Holy Whore" is Fassbinder dealing with matters closer to his own life and more central to his personal concerns. This is his own personal "Contempt," in many ways, the story of a dysfunctional society as seen through the microcosm of an incredibly dysfunctional location film shoot. It's dated, to be sure, with '70s stylings woven throughout, but it's interesting from a standpoint of being able to better understand Fassbinder's own views of cinema and humanity.

Satan's Brew

*** (Audio: B, Video: B-, Features: F+)

"Satan's Brew" is a film that's enormously popular with Fassbinder fans, but not so popular among others. As a comedy, it's just plain odd and only intermittently funny to most who see it. Janet Maslin declared it, "A Kind of 'Father Knows Best' on acid," a quote which is featured proudly on the front of the DVD. And that's about the best description imaginable. As sadistic a comedy as anyone has ever made, "Satan's Brew" almost defies description -- the story of a poet who imagines himself a reincarnation of a gay 19th Century poet, it veers wildly and unpredictably between so many themes and gags and ideas that unless one is hopelessly enamored of Fassbinder at his most extreme, it simply doesn't work.

Love is Colder Than Death

***1/2 (Audio: A-, Video: B, Features: D)

"Love is Colder than Death" is the most notable of these, for this was Fassbinder's debut film. In it, Fassbinder himself stars as a pimp who gets caught up in the tide of an organized crime syndicate in increasingly horrific ways. It's a distressing and disturbing film, but masterfully executed with unexpected twists along the way. Fassbinder and Hanna Schygulla, his actress of choice, are both exceptional.

Fear of Fear

***1/2 (Audio: B, Video: B+, Features: D)
"Fear of Fear" belongs to Fassbinder's "domestic" films, most of which are again Sirk-influenced. Margit Carstensen is devastating as an otherwise normal housewife who experiences a strange and inexplicable descent into self-destruction. Those who read into the film a message about post-partem depression miss the point entirely -- Fassbinder's movie is more existential and allegorical in nature. It's about all of us.

Chinese Roulette

*** (Audio: B, Video: B+, Features: D)

"Chinese Roulette" again stars Carstensen as well as Godard's own Anna Karina in this sadistic character piece in which a man and his mistress unexpectedly encounter his wife and her lover planning the same weekend retreat. Throw in their handicapped daughter and her mute governess and it starts to seem more like a David Lynch film than a Fassbinder film. But this theatrical arrangement is vintage Fassbinder -- the conclusion is harrowing and difficult to digest, but equally impossible to resist.

Gods of the Plague

**1/2 (Audio: B, Video: B+, Features: D)

Finally, "Gods of the Plague," Fassbinder's third film, takes an even more penetrating look at Germany's criminal subculture. Basically a simple story of a misguided ex-con and a heist gone wrong, "Gods of the Plague" isn't the strongest of Fassbinder's films -- it dates rather poorly in some regards -- but the portions of it that still resonate do so with profound impact.

Last edited by starecase; 04-30-07 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After reading the comments here and elsewhere, I decided to blind buy 3 Fassbinder titles - Love is Colder than Death, Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven and Merchant of the Four Seasons, as well as Bay of Angels.
Old 05-01-07, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have a direct link to Love is Colder than Death? I can't find it at all.
Old 05-01-07, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...&extid=df00004

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 05-01-07, 08:19 AM

Thanks OP,
This is a great deal. I ordered:

BOOK OF LIFE-2000 SEEN BY..
MERCHANT OF FOUR SEASONS
KATZELMACHER
EFFI BRIEST
BEWARE OF A HOLY WHORE
SATAN'S BREW
LOVE IS COLDER THAN DEATH
FEAR OF FEAR
CHINESE ROULETTE
BAY OF ANGELS
Old 05-01-07, 09:02 PM

Ordered:
Bay of Angels
Beware of a Holy Whore
Effi Briest
Katzelmacher
Merchant of Four Seasons
Mother Kusters Goes to Heaven

I may order Chinese Roulette, Fear of Fear, and The Puppetmaster if the first batch ships in a timely manner.

Thanks to again to the original poster.

Last edited by starecase; 05-01-07 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-02-07, 01:56 AM

There's some speculation on the Criterion Board that these titles are going out of print with a price reduction prior, not unlike the Sony titles last year (Mifune, Safe, Twin Falls Idaho, et al). So, might be best to pick em all up now and sort and sell those you don't like for a nifty profit down the line.
Old 05-02-07, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jpfisher
.....THANKS for this posting. This really beefs up my Fassbinder library, now just have to wait for Criterion's release of Berlin Alexanderplatz!
Has Criterion started working on Berlin Alexanderplatz? I would love to see it again.
Old 05-02-07, 12:08 PM

Yes, Criterion confirmed a few months ago that they were working on it, and it's rumored to be coming out at the end of 2007 (no guarantee that it won't get pushed back of course).
Old 05-02-07, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by blake182
Has Criterion started working on Berlin Alexanderplatz? I would love to see it again.
Yes, it is due to be released before the end of the year. Many are speculating that it will be spine #400. It could be announced as an August release.
Old 05-02-07, 12:09 PM

Warning

WARNING:

Once you start watching Fassbinder you won't stop.
You'll watch every movie you can find,....
He will infect your brain!

I have all the region 1 DVD's and every so often I start to watch one
of them, then I find myself watching them all over again !!!!
Old 05-02-07, 03:32 PM

Has anyone received shipping notification on these titles? When I add them to my cart, it shows up as a pre-order with a release date of May 8. Anyone else notice that?
Old 05-02-07, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by vcuram
Has anyone received shipping notification on these titles? When I add them to my cart, it shows up as a pre-order with a release date of May 8. Anyone else notice that?
This is pretty common with price reductions.
Old 05-04-07, 07:20 PM

Three of the Fassbinder titles are now listed as discontinued rather than as pre-orders on DeepDiscount's site: Beware of a Holy Whore, Katzelmacher, and Love is Colder than Death.
Old 05-05-07, 12:17 AM

The only two dvds that show up for me during search now are Satan's Brew and Fox and His Friends, and I assumed Fox and His Friends isn't apart of this bundle since there was no price change.
Old 05-05-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Love is Colder than Death and Katzelmacher are now showing as discontinued. I ordered five and they all say they will be released 5/8. I've wanted these for a long time...kind of forgot about them all really. hope the five i ordered show up.

Another good title that has the same pricedrop: The Documentary Cinemania.
Old 05-06-07, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starecase
Three of the Fassbinder titles are now listed as discontinued rather than as pre-orders on DeepDiscount's site: Beware of a Holy Whore, Katzelmacher, and Love is Colder than Death.
so is Niklashausen Journey.
Old 05-06-07, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
so is Niklashausen Journey.
I tried to order all my missing Wellspring Fassbinders last Saturday, after I saw this thread.

I couldn't find listings for two of those titles: Niklashausen Journey and Gods Of The Plague.

I can find the latter today, and it's also $5.98. So that's good news.

Two of the four titles I ordered last Saturday (Katzelmacher and Beware of A Holy Whore) are missing the following notation after the title on the Order Details screen:
This item is a pre-order. It will ship to arrive on or around the scheduled release date.May 8, 2007

As has been previously discussed here, I'm guessing that this means that those two probably won't show up.

i still can't find Niklashausen Journey and I think it's been missing from the site since word of this sale appeared here.

On the other hand, Nikki's Erotic Journey 2 has a listing, but appears to be out of stock.
Old 05-06-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by theWitcher
i still can't find Niklashausen Journey and I think it's been missing from the site since word of this sale appeared here.
it's on the site, it's just really really hard to find. it's listed as discontinued (like Beware, Katzel, and Love is Colder) so you cannot order it, but it's listing is still there:

Last edited by garmonbozia; 05-06-07 at 02:40 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.