Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

GameStop - $1.99 DVDs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GameStop - $1.99 DVDs...

All generic marked $5.99 dvds are now $1.99 and are included in the "B2G1" deal...

Happy searching...

Current List 04-06-07

50 Cents - The New Breed
Andromeda Strain The
Animusic 2
Ararat
Babe The
Big Eden
Creature From The Haunted Sea
Devil And Daniel Johnstone
Eulogy
Eve’s Bayou
Evil Dead - Sam Raimi - Anchor Bay
Father Goose
Find Me Guilty
Grilled
He Said, She Said
Hilary Duff - The Girl Can Rock
Jack The Bear
Kenny Chesney - Road Case 2
Marrying Man The
Martial Arts Master - St Clair - 3 dvds
National Lampoon’s Black Ball
Pact With The Devil
Pillow Talk
Re-Animator - Millennium Special Edition
Road To Zanzibar
Savage Sam - Disney
Stalag 17
Stephen King’s - Night Flier The
Striking Distance
Tomie
True Blue
True Women
Two Jakes
When The Levees Broke

$1.99 then "B2G1" plus taxes = $1.44 each
Old 04-06-07, 02:20 PM

I am pretty sure it's nationwide. The ASM at my store told me about it. It's not a sale it's a price-cut, so even if the stickers aren't changed, all "Used DVD" stickers are now $1.99. I saw Chromartie High School Vol 1 at another GS last night for $1.99! Too bad I already have the whole set :P
Old 04-06-07, 03:06 PM

1/2 of the GS I went to never bothered to change the generic $5.99 stickers to $1.99 stickers but either way, the $5.99 generics ring up as $1.99...

It's funny to watch the clerks face as they first see the price...
Old 04-06-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll apologize in advance for being a bit "slow on the uptake" regarding this, but... when you say "generic marked dvds", are you talking about the ones for which they don't have the original cases, or....?

Just not getting a good mental image of what is meant by "generic marked dvds"... sorry if that's a real chowderhead question...
Old 04-06-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The sticker will just say...

Used DVD G, PG, PG13 <DVD>
Used DVD R, NC-17, NR, Unrated <DVD>

accross the top, instead of having a movie title.

There is also a Used Music/Concert DVD but I don't remember the exact wording. The selection will vary by store, and will only be whatever the clerks couldn't find in the system and took as a generic dvd durning the trade-in process. So while the list Chard13 posted might be correct at his local Gamestop, it most likely won't be at another Gamestop/EB Games.
Old 04-06-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Edison
The sticker will just say...

Used DVD G, PG, PG13 <DVD>
Used DVD R, NC-17, NR, Unrated <DVD>

accross the top, instead of having a movie title.

There is also a Used Music/Concert DVD but I don't remember the exact wording. The selection will vary by store, and will only be whatever the clerks couldn't find in the system and took as a generic dvd durning the trade-in process. So while the list Chard13 posted might be correct at his local Gamestop, it most likely won't be at another Gamestop/EB Games.
Ohhh... okay. Thank you very much for the explanation (and again, my apologies for the dumb question.)
Old 04-06-07, 08:48 PM

This deal is nationwide, but still somewhat YMMV depending on your store/employees. One store I went to in Harrisburg, PA (Colonial Park mall) had some movies marked $1.99, while other "generic stickered" were still 5.99. I asked if they could ring the 5.99ers up to confirm a $1.99 price, and they refused, saying that "These stickers are recent (they were from March 8, btw). This is the correct price they are".

I asked if they were positive and I got "We're the managers. We run the store, we know what price these are. Not all of these movies dropped".

The guy kinda apologized later for being somewhat of a dick, but still didn't scan them in or anything. I just bought 6 of the 1.99 ones and left.

And also, the OP's list is definitely far from complete, as I've bought about 50 movies in the past 2 or 3 days since this started, and I don't think any of them are on that list. You may also strike it lucky as I did, and find stuff like Birth (Nicole Kidman), One Night with the King (Peter O'Toole), National Lampoon's something or other with Paris Hilton, and other "newer" releases just marked incorrectly.
Old 04-06-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Biglesworth23
This deal is nationwide, but still somewhat YMMV depending on your store/employees. One store I went to in Harrisburg, PA (Colonial Park mall) had some movies marked $1.99, while other "generic stickered" were still 5.99. I asked if they could ring the 5.99ers up to confirm a $1.99 price, and they refused, saying that "These stickers are recent (they were from March 8, btw). This is the correct price they are".
You should be able to tell from the sku the number right above the price to the left. I believe there are 3 different ones, the only one I see is 987543 (R/NC17/Unrated) and 987542 (G/PG/PG13), I don't know the sku for the Music/Concert generic dvd's. If they are one of these numbers they'll ring up for $1.99 regardless of the sticker price.

And also, the OP's list is definitely far from complete, as I've bought about 50 movies in the past 2 or 3 days since this started, and I don't think any of them are on that list. You may also strike it lucky as I did, and find stuff like Birth (Nicole Kidman), One Night with the King (Peter O'Toole), National Lampoon's something or other with Paris Hilton, and other "newer" releases just marked incorrectly.
It will vary store to store, and also even some titles may be generic at one store, but not at another. Depends how much effort the clerk put forth trying to match the movie title, if it doesn't scan he may just enter the generic sku. Or they may type in the title and come up with something that may be close and put it under that sku. The OP had Evil Dead in his list, but it's had so many different versions with different UPC's that maybe it didn't scan and they just rang it up as generic, where I've seen it at least once locally and it was $9.99 used (and I think that was the Elite Entertainment release).
Old 04-06-07, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Edison
You should be able to tell from the sku the number right above the price to the left. I believe there are 3 different ones, the only one I see is 987543 (R/NC17/Unrated) and 987542 (G/PG/PG13), I don't know the sku for the Music/Concert generic dvd's. If they are one of these numbers they'll ring up for $1.99 regardless of the sticker price.
Yeah, I'm positive a bunch of the $5.99 ones should have been $1.99 then. They were exactly the same R/NC17/etc. etc. stickers my others have. Oh well. There were a few I wasn't sure on however.. there were two DVDs that were marked something like "Used DVD - No case/inserts" or something like that and they were marked 4.99. Didn't know if they were included in this $1.99 thing. Manager wouldn't scan them anyways.
Old 04-06-07, 10:20 PM

Been hanging around these boards for a long time, first post. Swung by 5 northern VA Gamestop/EBs this evening. Found a few things. Probably not the cream of the movie crop, but for around $1.40 a movie, they couldn't be passed up.

The Proposition - (Guy Pearce, John Hurt)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada - (Tommy Lee Jones, Barry Pepper)
Man With the Screaming Brain - (Bruce Campbell)
Frogs - (Ray Milland, Sam Elliot)
Night Watch - (Konstantin Khabensky)
She's So Lovely - (Sean Penn, Robin Wright Penn, John Travolta)
Shining Through - (Michael Douglas, Melanie Griffith, Liam Neeson)
Mary Reilly - (Julia Roberts, John Malkovich)
Rough Magic - (Russell Crowe, Bridget Fonda)
Daylight - (Sylvester Stallone, Viggo Mortensen)
Them! - (James Whitmore)
A Simple Twist of Fate - (Steve Martin, Gabriel Byrne, Catherine O'Hara)
Sex, Lies, and Videotape - (James Spader, Andie Macdowell, Peter Gallagher)
A Piece of the Action / Uptown Saturday Night - (Sidney Poitier, Bill Cosby)
House on Haunted Hill / Satan's School for Girls / Don't Look in the Basement / Silent Night Bloody Night
The Up In Smoke Tour
John Mayer: Any Given Thursday
Manilow Live!

I got most of them for me and the last 3 music DVDs for trading. This deal is very YMMV so happy hunting.
Old 04-06-07, 11:12 PM

Very random sale. Sadly most of the foreign dvds that this sale applies to were already purchased by me ages ago in my area. One interesting find was little house season 9 for 1.99. Thanks, OP
Old 04-06-07, 11:38 PM

Went to 2 GS in Chicago area....
Was able to pick the following up from one of the stores...
Out of Africa
Yours mine and ours
Rasen
Jay and Silent Bob do Degrassi
Total $5.85 after 10% disc
Old 04-07-07, 08:53 AM

This deal is nationwide, but still somewhat YMMV depending on your store/employees.

And also, the OP's list is definitely far from complete, as I've bought about 50 movies in the past 2 or 3 days since this started, and I don't think any of them are on that list.
My list was not supposed to be any type of definitive list as to what is being offered at $1.99 because, as you said, each store is YMMV, but just what I picked up in the last few days at about 6 of the local GS around here...

I'ld love to see what other people picked up during this current feeding frenzy...

BTW: at one other GS {this is a different GS from the story I told a few posts above}, I did not see any generic $5.99 stickers which made me look again at the titles and sorta knew which dvd title would be in their system and sure enough, I found more than a dozen titles that had the wrong stickers on them {"Preacher's Wife" had "The Wife" for $9.99} so I bought 6 up to the counter and asked them if they could look in their system to see if the "REAL" title was in the system...

All 6 were NOT in the system and I pointed out that they had the wrong stickers on them...

He said that the dvds were taken in as that and he could not change the stickers...

I then asked him if that was true, I could bring up to the counter some $50 game accessory and if it had a $1.99 sticker on it, you would have to sell it to me also? I said, same principle, right?

Also, I said if I did buy "Preacher's Wife" with the label "The Wife" on it and needed to return it, wouldn't the next employee give me a hard time because the label did NOT match the dvd?

He would not change his mind so I asked him for the District Manager's # and called right there...

I got voice mail and left a msg and still haven't heard back yet...

I asked him to hold 3 of the dvds behind the counter until this was straightened out which he agreed to...

All of this conversation was very polite from both of us btw...
Old 04-07-07, 03:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I picked up:

Red Wolf (2-disc Tokyo Shock)
Beyond Hypothermia (English Dub)
The Avengers

Thanks OP.
Old 04-07-07, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by chard31
My list was not supposed to be any type of definitive list as to what is being offered at $1.99 because, as you said, each store is YMMV, but just what I picked up in the last few days at about 6 of the local GS around here...

I'ld love to see what other people picked up during this current feeding frenzy...
I didn't mean to imply that your list was meant to be definitive by you. I was kinda just saying that for the other's sake. I know people like to pop in a thread, see a list, and then freak out if they find one of those movies and it's not that price, only look for those specific movies, etc. etc.

I should post what I've picked up, but lack time right now.. probably 40-50 movies..
Old 04-07-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went today and got 3 5.99 movies,, only ONE rang up at $1.99... what the fuck?

I said I read online about this and one girl said that I have to bring a print out so they can scan it... huh?

You guys bullshitting me on the deal?

Edit - Ahh I read more thoroughly now and it seems only a few titles were cheap, that blows. Wish I hadnt rush read this thread this morning

Last edited by Ravenous; 04-07-07 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-07-07, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by chard31
He said that the dvds were taken in as that and he could not change the stickers...
This is true to some extent. He could have corrected the inventory, but that takes some time if I remember correctly, and is sort of a hassle.

I then asked him if that was true, I could bring up to the counter some $50 game accessory and if it had a $1.99 sticker on it, you would have to sell it to me also? I said, same principle, right?
I actually did this once. A logitech racing wheel (which goes for $50 new) was traded as a used controller, picked it up for $8. I don't believe the steering wheel was in the system at all for trade. Usually if something is mislabled in your favor, in my experience, it's the price you pay for it, although I would say in my case, if there had been a sku for the wheel I would have been denied. I've heard people say it's the law to sell at what something is stickered, but I haven't ever found proof, just seen that most places don't care much since it was their mistake.

Also, I said if I did buy "Preacher's Wife" with the label "The Wife" on it and needed to return it, wouldn't the next employee give me a hard time because the label did NOT match the dvd?
I don't see how anyone could complain, it's not as though you have a sticker machine at home with GS POS to print stickers? And the receipt would also show what the movie was rung as.
Old 04-07-07, 11:44 PM

Hit another 4 stores today. Picked up most of them for myself but some to trade.

A Sound of Thunder - (Edward Burns, Ben Kingsley)
Call Northside 777 {Fox Film Noir} - (James Stewart, Richard Conte)
Thunderstruck {Anchor Bay} - (Damon Gameau, Stephen Curry)
Scorched - (Alicia Silverstone, Woody Harrelson, John Cleese, Rachael Leigh Cook)
How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog - (Kenneth Branagh, Robin Wright Penn)
Stella Street - (Phil Cornewell, John Sessions)
Hell Asylum / Prison of the Dead - (Misc.)
Magic of the Universe / Counter Destroyer {Eastern Horror} - (Misc.)
Divorcing Jack - (David Thewlis, Rachel Griffiths, Jason Isaacs)
Nursie - (C. Thomas Howell, Savannah Boucher)
That Championship Season - (Vincent D'Onofrio, Tony Shalhoub, Gary Sinise)
Limbo - (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, David Strathairn)
Panic in the Streets {Fox Film Noir} - (Richard Windmark, Paul Douglas)
Junk {Shiryour Gari} - (Kaori Shimamura, Yuki Kisimoto)
Fight Back to School - (Stephen Chow, Sharla Cheung)
Moll Flanders - (Robin Wright Penn, Morgan Freeman)
Postcards From the Edge - (Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Dennis Quaid)
The Deal - (Christian Slater, Selma Blair, Angie Harmon, John Heard)
Children of the Revolution - (Judy Davis, Sam Neill, Geoffrey Rush, F. Murray Abraham)
The Emperor's New Clothes - (Ian Holm, Iben Hjejle)
Kansas City Bomber - (Raquel Welch, Kevin McCarthy)
Separate Tables - (Rita Hayworth, Deborah Kerr, David Niven, Burt Lancaster)
Sudden Impact - (Clint Eastwood)
Cold Fury: Pride Fighting Championships - (Misc.)
Bound for Glory - (David Carradine, Ronny Cox, Melinda Dillon, Randy Quaid)
Rudyard Kipling's The Second Jungle Book: Mowgli and Baloo - (Roddy McDowall)
Gantz: Volume 8 - (Anime)
Gantz: Volume 9 - (Anime)
Gantz: Volume 10 - (Anime)
Garzey's Wing - (Anime)
Boogiepop Phantom Evolution 2 - (Anime)
Dave Matthews Band: Listener Supported - (Dave Matthews)
Warning Shot - (David Janssen, Joan Collins, Carroll O'Connor, Ed Begley)
The Brothers McMullen - (Edward Burns, Jack McGlone)
Final Analysis - (Richard Gere, Kim Basinger)
Special Effects - (Zoe Tamerlis, Eric Bogosian)
Vampyres {Anchor Bay} - (Marianne Morris, Anulka)
The Enforcer - (Clint Eastwood)
Blind Date - (Bruce Willis, Kim Basinger, John Larroquette)
WWE The Best of the Intercontinental Championship - (Misc.)
Nickelback Photo Album: The Videos - (Nickelback)

Last edited by tobeywonkenobi; 04-07-07 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-08-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to 2 different stores. One had NO DVDs. Where they went I didn't ask. I then went to another store and they new nothing about it. Next time I'll have to call. What a waste of gas and time.
Old 04-08-07, 12:22 PM

Went to another GS yesterday...

Christina Aguilera - My Reflection
Exorcist 2 - The Heretic
Jason’s Lyric
Losing Isaiah
Shadowboxer
She-Ra - Princess Of Power - Best Of
Unstrung Heroes
Virtuosity
Old 04-08-07, 01:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Went to 2 different stores. One had NO DVDs. Where they went I didn't ask. I then went to another store and they new nothing about it. Next time I'll have to call. What a waste of gas and time.
You messed up by not trying.

Never ask. It is very possible that every employee in the store knew nothing of the sale. But if you had tried to buy the 5.99 titles that you would have wanted at 1.99, they may have rung up at 1.99.

I'm stubborn this way, but it is my philosophy to never ask any store employee anything about any possible deal. More often than not, they have no idea what the price will really be once they hit total. I just scan (not price check, it doesn't always catch the "real" price) everything I might want, and have the cashier remove whatever didn't total at the price I like.

No offense to you store employees out there, but there are always dozens of undocumented sales, instant rebates after the total button is hit, glitches, and inaccurately tagged products in your stores, and there is no way you can know about them all.

Asking about deals has also closed down price glitches or other mistakes, ruining the deal for others.

I take heat for this, but there is really no reason to ever talk to a store employee about any deal.
Old 04-08-07, 10:25 PM

Ok, made my last round of stops. Here's what I got.

Basic Instinct 2 {Unrated Extended Cut} - (Sharon Stone)
James Brown: 13 Greatest Hits Live in Concert - (James Brown)
MobyPlay: The DVD - (Moby)
XPW Wrestling: "Go Funk Yourself" - (Terry Funk, Sabu)
Posse - (Mario Van Peebles, Stephen Baldwin)
Man With the Screaming Brain - (Bruce Campbell)
Rurouni Kenshin Legend of Kyoto: Between Life and Death - (Anime)
Two of Us: Mates of State - (Mates of State)
Hellraiser: Deader - (Kari Wuhrer, Doug Bradley)
Twitch of the Death Nerve {Mario Bava Collection} - (Claudine Auger, Luigi Pistilli)
Murphy's Romance - (Sally Field, James Garner)
Eulogy - (Hank Azaria, Zooey Deschanel, Ray Romano, Famke Janssen)
Paris Holiday - (Bob Hope, Anita Ekberg, Preston Sturges)
Indecent Proposal - (Robert Redford, Demi Moore, Woody Harrelson)
WWE The Rise + Fall of ECW {2-Disc} - (Misc.)
Deep Red {Dario Argento Collection} - (David Hemmings, Daria Nicolodi)
Dreams in the Witch House {Masters of Horror} - (Ezra Godden)
The Lemondrop Kid - (Bob Hope, Marilyn Maxwell, William Frawley)
Adaptation - (Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper)
Headspace - (William Atherton, Sean Young, Dee Wallace Stone)
Captain Corelli's Mandolin - (Nicolas Cage, Penelope Cruz)
Run Silent, Run Deep - (Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster)
Find Me Guilty - (Vin Diesel, Ron Silver)
Bon Voyage - (Isabelle Adjani, Gerard Depardieu)
Bad Dreams {Anchor Bay} - (Jennifer Rubin, Bruce Abbott)
Caddyshack II - (Jackie Mason, Chevy Chase, Dan Ackroyd)
The Principal - (James Belushi, Louis Gossett Jr., Rae Dawn Chong)
Saving Face - (Joan Chen, Lynn Chen, Michelle Krusiec)
The Great Lover - (Bob Hope, Rhonda Fleming, George Reeves)
Aimee & Jaguar - (Maria Schrader, Juliane Kohler)
Danzig: Il Demonio Nera - (Danzig)
Fullmetal Alchemist Vol.4 the Fall of Ishbal - (Anime)
Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 5 the Cost of Living - (Anime)
Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 2 Scarred Man of the East - (Anime)

That about does it for me. Here's hoping all $5.99ers drop to $1.99.
Old 04-09-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One store I went to in Harrisburg, PA (Colonial Park mall) had some movies marked $1.99, while other "generic stickered" were still 5.99.
Ha! I was just there over the weekend, too!
You weren't the annoying kid talking about Mortal Kombat, were you?
Old 04-09-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, my word!! The GS by my house already had all their generic labels re-marked to $1.99! Made it REALLY easy to find what I wanted. Going to the one by my office later in hopes of getting some more... tee hee.....
Old 04-09-07, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Ha! I was just there over the weekend, too!
You weren't the annoying kid talking about Mortal Kombat, were you?
Nope, definitely not. I don't think I conversed with anyone in the store, except the employee for a little bit. He just remembered me because I cleared them out of most of the actually good PSOne titles. heh

I was just at the Gamestop and EB in the Capitol City Mall, the one on the Carlisle Pike, and the one at Union Deposit today. Bought probably 10-15 DVDs at each.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.