Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion Collection sale on at Bestbuy.com 3/11-3/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Criterion Collection sale on at Bestbuy.com 3/11-3/17

It seems as if everyone is having a CC sale now but I didn't see this posted so here's the details. The banner on their webpages shows they're having a 20% off sale on Criterion titles for online orders this week only. If you check on specific pricing you'll see that almost all are really discounted 33% off list with only a few discounted 20% off. Some are discounted even more; i.e. Shoot The Piano Player, Pickpocket, Ran, etc. are only $23.19 ($39.95 retail) and Heaven Can Wait is only $17.59 ($29.95 retail).
First page link
It does require tax and shipping though.
Old 03-12-07, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
sweet find Mosskeeto; looks like I will finally get my first Criterion dvd.
Old 03-12-07, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish "Wages of Fear" would drop to
Old 03-12-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, they got down to the same price DVDPlanet has everyday - oh wait with DVDPlanet there is no tax for most and no shipping on orders over $25. Plus they have coupons. Not much of a deal if you ask me. Oh, I think DD is running 40% off right now anyways. I am not trying to threadcrap, some may want to do this with instore pickup or use gc or whatever, I just wanted to point out to those that do not regularly purchase CC online that this is not that good a deal. I saw it a couple days ago and decided it was not worth posting.
Old 03-12-07, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by speedyray
Well, they got down to the same price DVDPlanet has everyday - oh wait with DVDPlanet there is no tax for most and no shipping on orders over $25. Plus they have coupons. Not much of a deal if you ask me. Oh, I think DD is running 40% off right now anyways. I am not trying to threadcrap, some may want to do this with instore pickup or use gc or whatever, I just wanted to point out to those that do not regularly purchase CC online that this is not that good a deal. I saw it a couple days ago and decided it was not worth posting.

It IS worth noting, just in case you got Best Buy gift cards for Christmas.
Old 03-12-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by iamnothitler

Why pay a PREMIUM because you have a gift card? Basically you end up paying $3 extra for a $25 gift card.
Old 03-12-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks OP
Old 03-12-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by iamnothitler
Also, with BB you can get them MUCH faster, especially if you do in store pickup. DVD Planet is too slow for me...
Old 03-12-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, with BB you can get them MUCH faster, especially if you do in store pickup.
That only works if they're in stock at your local store, which is pretty much never for anything but new releases, samurai films, and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.
Old 03-12-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
That only works if they're in stock at your local store, which is pretty much never for anything but new releases, samurai films, and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.
Which is good, since it should be a law that everyone has to watch Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas at least once.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole multi colored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.
-- Raoul Duke, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 03-12-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pfft! This is $1 less than their regular instore price for these titles! Store pickup would be useless. You'd spend far more than the dollar just getting to the darn store!

Now, if you can find one to ship that somehow justifies the shipping and tax, ok...but darnit, I expected to find Dazed and Confused really cheap for instore pickup (or another similarly common title)...and it's just 27.99. It's already 28.99 normally...
Old 03-13-07, 02:26 PM

How come on the CC sales, they never have Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums? It was under my impression that these were CC titles. Am I wrong and they both are just SEs?
Old 03-13-07, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bojanglesoup
How come on the CC sales, they never have Rushmore or The Royal Tenenbaums? It was under my impression that these were CC titles. Am I wrong and they both are just SEs?

They are actually Buena Vista titles produced in cooperation with Criterion, but they are distributed by BV.
Old 03-13-07, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by starecase
They are actually Buena Vista titles produced in cooperation with Criterion, but they are distributed by BV.
Oh, okay. That makes a little more sense now. So do they have the number on the spine then?
Old 03-13-07, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the sale is for 20% off, why is 400 Blows $19.99 online when it is $21.99 in stores? Shouldn't the sale price be $17.59?
Old 03-13-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Buy sells Criterion DVDs!!!?

Yeah, I knew that (like 2 in-store)...

but ..

Best Buy
The Bicycle Thief - B&W Subtitle - DVD
Rating:NR
Release Date:02/13/2007 On Sale
List Price: $39.95
Our Price: $27.99

DeepDiscountDVD $ 23.97 $ 0.00 FREE2 $ 23.97 Best Deal

Best Buy
Diabolique - Subtitle - DVD

Release Date:01/26/1999 On Sale
List Price: $29.95
Our Price: $19.99

DeepDiscountDVD $ 17.97 $ 0.00 FREE2 $ 17.97 Best Deal

Best Buy
Adventures of Antoine Doinel [5 Pack] - DVD

Release Date:04/29/2003 On Sale
List Price: $99.95
Our Price: $79.99

DeepDiscountDVD $ 59.97 $ 0.00 FREE2 $ 59.97 Best Deal

Now, I'm not a ringer for DDD, but seriously .. and considering BB's prices don't include shipping or taxes. I can't take their sale seriously.

ps - btw, the DDD prices are quoted off dvdpricesearch for those that didn't recognize the format ...