DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   The Official Borders Coupon Thread - Updated Weekly (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/494811-official-borders-coupon-thread-updated-weekly.html)

ben12 03-28-07 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the inside info, Fangs!

cmleidi 03-28-07 04:18 PM

These changes just make sure I won't be shopping much at Borders. Their prices are not competitive. Even with the coupons and personal shopping days, I have to search long and hard to find something I can't get cheaper elsewhere. The coupons have pretty much sucked this year. They now alter the program so I have no reason to come into the store.

On top of that, they collect data and sell it. I used a separate Roadunner email address for my Borders card. I've had it for years, but I've never used it. Never had one spam email. Within a week of signing up for the card, I now average 20 to 25 spam emails a week.

Plus, I'm still pissed they got rid of the Borders chai tea.

FangsFirst 03-28-07 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by cmleidi
On top of that, they collect data and sell it. I used a separate Roadunner email address for my Borders card. I've had it for years, but I've never used it. Never had one spam email. Within a week of signing up for the card, I now average 20 to 25 spam emails a week.

While I don't doubt that that happened, we do NOT sell them. But dx has already mentioned that this isn't the place for this discussion.

On another note: our current sale price on the Care Bears movie (the new anniv. edition) is 12.99, which is the best B&M around.

dx23 03-28-07 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
Quite right you are.
And so:

BORDERS REWARDS EXCLUSIVE OFFER
VALID 3/28/07 THROUGH 4/01/07
25% Off
the List Price of One Item

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon_250328.htm

VALID 3/28/07 THROUGH 4/02/07
30% Off
All Fitness DVDs and Accessories

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/fitness.htm

VALID 3/28/07 THROUGH 5/22/07
Selected Art House Films
Only $19.99 Each

49 Up
Avant Garde: Experimental Cinema of the 1920s and '30s
Ballet Russes
A Boy and His Dog
The Corporation
Fire
Metropolis
My Architect: A Son's Journey
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days
Stalker

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/arthouse.htm

Thanks. I put them up in the first post.

bhauge 03-28-07 11:23 PM

A question about using the above 25% coupon with my 10% Personal Shopping Day. If I use the coupon, is that usage somehow tracked on my PSD? In other words, if I try to use the coupon multiple times on my PSD, will I run into problems?

FangsFirst 03-29-07 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by bhauge
A question about using the above 25% coupon with my 10% Personal Shopping Day. If I use the coupon, is that usage somehow tracked on my PSD? In other words, if I try to use the coupon multiple times on my PSD, will I run into problems?

As specified on the coupon, that would be considered fraud.

Christi P 03-29-07 02:04 PM

When I first joined Borders Rewards, I got a 30% off coupon and combined this with my personal shopping day - I bought ten different items with ten different coupons with the same clerk checking me out.

I think 'fraud' is a harsh word, since I used the same clerk and he didn't have a problem with it.

FangsFirst 03-29-07 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Christi P
When I first joined Borders Rewards, I got a 30% off coupon and combined this with my personal shopping day - I bought ten different items with ten different coupons with the same clerk checking me out.

I think 'fraud' is a harsh word, since I used the same clerk and he didn't have a problem with it.

Depends on the store, but it isn't a harsh word insofar as my choosing--that's the exact phrasing on the coupon.

PS: POS is bouncing 30% coupons back.

Not guaranteed there will be an e-mail one, but there might be--ca. Apr. 4/5

Badlands 03-29-07 06:52 PM

As specified on the coupon, that would be considered fraud.

Wow, then Borders employees are sure willing to implicate themselves in fraud. On at least a dozen occasions, I've asked if I could use two different coupons if they rung up two separate orders, and they've always done it (this is in at least 8 different stores in 3 states).

BTW, Borders can use the word "fraud" on the coupon all they want. It's certainly not fraud in the legal sense.

FangsFirst 03-29-07 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Badlands
Wow, then Borders employees are sure willing to implicate themselves in fraud. On at least a dozen occasions, I've asked if I could use two different coupons if they rung up two separate orders, and they've always done it (this is in at least 8 different stores in 3 states).

BTW, Borders can use the word "fraud" on the coupon all they want. It's certainly not fraud in the legal sense.

I think it *can* legally be considered fraud in that the document was created by the company. Not, perhaps, criminal fraud, but enough to stop the use, etc.

But, of course, as I say, it's up to the stores.

It's really to prevent the hyper scammers who want to use 8 per transaction 8 times a day for every single day of a coupon--despite the fact that it says you can't do that.

Christi P 03-30-07 12:10 AM

I think it *can* legally be considered fraud in that the document was created by the company.

Yes, the document was created by the company. And if the clerk, who represents the company, says that it is fine to ignore the 'one use only' wording of a coupon, then it is fine.

FangsFirst 03-30-07 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Christi P
Yes, the document was created by the company. And if the clerk, who represents the company, says that it is fine to ignore the 'one use only' wording of a coupon, then it is fine.

Yep, and that's what I meant here:

But, of course, as I say, it's up to the stores.

It's really to prevent the hyper scammers who want to use 8 per transaction 8 times a day for every single day of a coupon--despite the fact that it says you can't do that.

dx23 04-04-07 11:46 PM

Nice 30% off coupon for Easter. Remember that this is the last weekend to pick up Holiday rewards, since unfortunately, the rules of the game change starting next week:

VALID 4/05/07 THROUGH 4/08/07
30% Off
the List Price of One Item
with the Purchase of $10 or More
http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon_300405.htm

Selected TV on DVD: $19.99

Now through April 8, 2007, the TV on DVD sets listed below are only $19.99.
While supplies last; no rain checks. Offer valid in U.S. Borders stores only. Offer not valid in Borders Express or Waldenbooks stores

http://www.bordersstores.com/feature...st=tvondvdsale

The No Man 04-05-07 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
Remember that this is the last weekend to pick up Holiday rewards, since unfortunately, the rules of the game change starting next week

What do you mean by this? Do you mean we can use our holiday bonus rewards NOW, or do you mean it's our last chance to add money to it by buying stuff?

jeffrey r 04-05-07 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by The No Man
What do you mean by this? Do you mean we can use our holiday bonus rewards NOW, or do you mean it's our last chance to add money to it by buying stuff?

This is from the Borders Rewards homepage:

"Beginning April 12, 2007, 2007 Holiday Savings Rewards may be redeemed immediately through January 31, 2008. Members who have not made at least two hundred dollars ($200.00) in Qualifying Purchases between January 1, 2007 and April 11, 2007 will have all of their Qualifying Purchases between January 1, 2007 and April 11, 2007 applied toward the calculation of Borders Bucks."

FangsFirst 04-05-07 11:30 AM

Which means if your balance is $10+, you can use it starting april 12.
Or, if you earn up to that $10 BY april 12, you can use it, as well.
I believe the earning would stop the 11th.

FangsFirst 04-05-07 06:44 PM

Btw:

2 titles that are interestingly priced are Roland Joffé's The Killing Fields and Scorsese's The Age of Innocence--both are 14.99, so they're 10.49 with discount.

Being as Amazon and DD both perceive them to be "19.99 MSRP" their normal discounted price is all of 14.xx.
So even at 20% off the DD price, 10.49 is a deal.

(and with a PSD...!)

The No Man 04-05-07 08:07 PM

I'm still a little confused. My 2007 Holiday Savings Rewards Accrual is $6.30. Does this still mean that beginning April 12 I can use that towards a Borders purchase?

FangsFirst 04-06-07 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by The No Man
I'm still a little confused. My 2007 Holiday Savings Rewards Accrual is $6.30. Does this still mean that beginning April 12 I can use that towards a Borders purchase?

No.

You must have at least $10 in your HSR Accrual to be able to use it. If you do not have that much by 04/12, the amount you spent to earn that 6.30 is instead applied to the new program.

Josh-da-man 04-06-07 01:04 AM

I'm guessing that the $6.30 on his holiday rewards account comes from $126 in purchases. So after spending an additional $24 (after April 12, or whenever the program is phased out), that will turn into $5 in Borders Bucks.

FangsFirst 04-06-07 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm guessing that the $6.30 on his holiday rewards account comes from $126 in purchases. So after spending an additional $24 (after April 12, or whenever the program is phased out), that will turn into $5 in Borders Bucks.

You've got it exactly

The No Man 04-06-07 07:51 AM

oh ok. thanks a lot for the help guys!

FangsFirst 04-06-07 12:56 PM

Another 19.99/14.99 weirdo:

Basquiat.

13.92 on DD, 14.99 on amazon, etc.

14.99 list at Borders.

surfingelectrod 04-08-07 09:51 PM

Will they be going back to the usual 20% tomorrow? I was going to use my 30% coupon today, but the store was closed.

dx23 04-08-07 10:14 PM

Yes. You can print out the coupon found at www.visitborders.com .