DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   The Official Borders Coupon Thread - Updated Weekly (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/494811-official-borders-coupon-thread-updated-weekly.html)

bookcase3 03-18-08 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
BORDERS REWARDS EXCLUSIVE OFFER
VALID THROUGH 3/23/08
30% Off
the List Price of One Item
with Purchase of $10 or More

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon30100320.htm

Many thanks, as always. I plan on picking up the CC edition of The Ice Storm with this!

hiccup 03-21-08 02:28 AM

Thanks for the coupon guys! Need it to pick up a couple of books.

steebo777 03-24-08 10:08 AM

So I wonder what the new one will be for this week? Hopefully 25% off or greater.

dx23 03-24-08 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777
So I wonder what the new one will be for this week? Hopefully 25% off or greater.

Give me until tommorow night and I'll get you a 30%.

misterchimpy 03-24-08 04:13 PM

don't know if you guys saw this...but borders is having financial difficulties and is up for sale. i would guess b+n buys them

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080320/clth030.html?.v=101

Iron Chef 03-24-08 04:17 PM

I thought they were in trouble for a while now.

If B+N buys them, then we'll have 4 B+N's in this city.

FangsFirst 03-24-08 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by misterchimpy
don't know if you guys saw this...but borders is having financial difficulties and is up for sale. i would guess b+n buys them

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080320/clth030.html?.v=101

No one actually related to either company suspects this. It's a silly rumour wandering around everyone else's mouth, but neither Borders no B&N plans on it.

And the financial troubles are not so dire as people are making them out to be--sales are planned for the international market, with the entire company as a secondary option/last resort if those funds cannot be acquired. It's partly due to the way the economy is right now, plans for selling said market having fallen through, and those funds having been intended for expansion/upgrading.

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
I thought they were in trouble for a while now.

No, we've been consistently number two in books, and there are enough other companies that that isn't a default, nor is it a distant second, as well as sales for 4th q last year that were better than expected *and* better than B&N.

misterchimpy 03-24-08 07:45 PM

Silly rumor????? That was a company press release...they can't get financing and are running out of cash. International is the company's most valuable asset and has been put up as collateral to a hedge fund to get expensive short term financing. They suspended the dividend.

B+N CFO was QUOTED as saying they are going to look at buying them.

"Though some analysts expressed doubts about a Barnes & Noble purchase of Borders -- which would need the approval of anti-trust regulators -- Barnes & Noble executives told analysts they were open to the idea.

Borders has hired JPMorgan (JPM) and Merrill Lynch (MER) to look into a possible sale.

"We haven't been approached by Borders' investment bankers," Barnes & Noble chief financial executive Joseph Lombardi told analysts Mar. 20. "If we are, we'll certainly take a close look at the company and put it under review."

http://www.businessweek.com/investor...mpaign_id=yhoo

I like Borders, but the model of selling media at full price in a large store just doesn't work anymore..

asianxcore 03-24-08 08:00 PM

Coupon thread?

k, thanks

bmoore 03-24-08 08:27 PM

If Borders goes under I think I may have to buy online only. I hate B&N.
Are there not going to be anymore 40% coupons?

Are you a mod asain? I'm new here, but if the company we have the thread for goes under, then no more thread.

If you are or aren't a mod, either way i meanno disrespect.

misterchimpy 03-24-08 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Coupon thread?

k, thanks

I think it's worth mentioning, if only because if you have Borders gift cards, you might want to think about using them up. In a lot of retail liquidations, they sell the inventory to a 3rd party, who then doesn't honor the gift cards.(Sharper Image was the latest example of this). Or if you have any item you were thinking about returning, that's something else that you might not be able to do. If B+N buys them, that's probably not an issue. But maybe they just get shut down, they wouldn't have issued that press release imo, unless they had to.

Just something to be aware of...same thing is true of Circuit City, FYE, and other financially strapped retailers.

Zbu 03-24-08 08:58 PM

I like Borders, but the model of selling media at full price in a large store just doesn't work anymore..

No kidding. And trying to make their store into an ersatz library doesn't help matters either. Yeah, it's nice when you can design a store to have comfortable places to sit and such, but the damage to stock while still charging full price is simply bad management. It's a bad idea altogether. And they're not kidding anybody with their 30% coupons. They might as well make them storewide price changes so they can compete with Amazon more directly.

asianxcore 03-24-08 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by bmoore
Are you a mod asian? I'm new here, but if the company we have the thread for goes under, then no more thread.

If you are or aren't a mod, either way i mean no disrespect.

I'm not.

The only reason why I mentioned it was because I didn't want the thread (made for Borders coupon deals/links) filled with pages regarding this issue. If people really want to discuss it, I'm guessing a thread over at the "Store" forum would be better.

FangsFirst 03-25-08 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zbu
They might as well make them storewide price changes so they can compete with Amazon more directly.

No B&M can compete with Amazon. No one's trying to, no one will try to. It's simply not feasible.

Silly rumor?????

Yes, B&N buying Borders is a silly rumour. As your own quote says B&N has: 1) not been offered
and
2) said it would "review the possibility"

this means it's a rumour and it's silly. Borders has not approached B&N, B&N has not approached Borders. Silly headline-grabbing "journalists" are jumping for a story that will catch people's eyes.

B+N CFO was QUOTED as saying they are going to look at buying them.
That's an exaggeration of what your quote says, incidentally.

That was a company press release...they can't get financing and are running out of cash. International is the company's most valuable asset and has been put up as collateral to a hedge fund to get expensive short term financing. They suspended the dividend.
No, the international market is NOT the most valuable asset, that's why they're trying to sell it, and have been trying to sell it for a year or two.

Y'know, no offense, but I have had an ear into this particular business pretty much daily for the past two years or so--the sale of the international market is NOT news. That was planned. The lost "cash" was because the buyer for it backed out. No one is reporting this very accurately.

velveeta 03-25-08 01:51 PM

Here's a couple of new coupons for this week:

25% Off the List Price of One Item w/NO Minimum Purchase (exp 3/30/08):
Link

30% Off the List Price of One Item w/Purchase of $10 or More (exp 3/30/08):
Link

The Monkees 03-26-08 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by velveeta
Here's a couple of new coupons for this week:

25% Off the List Price of One Item w/NO Minimum Purchase (exp 3/30/08):
Link

30% Off the List Price of One Item w/Purchase of $10 or More (exp 3/30/08):
Link

This may be a stupid question, but with the 30% w/purchase of $10 or more, that means if I buy something for $30 then I'm fine using that right?

SlingshotBandit 03-26-08 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
This may be a stupid question, but with the 30% w/purchase of $10 or more, that means if I buy something for $30 then I'm fine using that right?

The coupon works on any item/product you buy that has a sticker of $10.00 on up. So if you buy something that costs $30, then you'd be saving $9 with the coupon. :)

The Monkees 03-26-08 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit
The coupon works on any item/product you buy that has a sticker of $10.00 on up. So if you buy something that costs $30, then you'd be saving $9 with the coupon. :)

That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure. Thank you! ;)

velveeta 03-26-08 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by SlingshotBandit

Actually, the coupon also works on a single item below $10, as long as your total purchase is $10 or more. This works great on paperbacks that are under $10. I just buy the paperback along with a $5 GC. The total is over $10, and the book gets the 30% discount. -smile-

Trevor 03-27-08 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by velveeta
Actually, the coupon also works on a single item below $10, as long as your total purchase is $10 or more. This works great on paperbacks that are under $10. I just buy the paperback along with a $5 GC. The total is over $10, and the book gets the 30% discount. -smile-

Great tip, thanks!

ben12 03-27-08 12:11 PM

I've never seen $5 gift cards at Borders.

WhovianZorker 03-28-08 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ben12
I've never seen $5 gift cards at Borders.

My guess is that this is the minimum you can put on a new (or add to an existing) Borders gift card.

cdollaz 03-28-08 08:23 AM

I've gotten a few $5 giftcards. I didn't buy them though.

FangsFirst 03-28-08 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by WhovianZorker
My guess is that this is the minimum you can put on a new (or add to an existing) Borders gift card.

You can't add to existing, but yes it is the minimum.
And, of course, there's no real way to "see" $5 giftcards at a Borders, because most Borders do not have pre-loaded cards.

Funk 03-31-08 07:44 AM

40% off one book, with purchase of $20 or more, expires April 1.
http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon4020book0331.htm