DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   The Official Borders Coupon Thread - Updated Weekly (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/494811-official-borders-coupon-thread-updated-weekly.html)

FangsFirst 07-28-07 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by surfingelectrod
I'm guessing that it was. It took three days for them to get it from the time I ordered it.

3 days? Well actually, if it's multimedia and they (Correctly...) say they can order it, it SHOULD be in stock there--we have no other way to order multimedia.

surfingelectrod 07-29-07 12:50 PM

So I went to the store today with the 30% coupon to pick up my order (Grateful Dead box set) and went up to the counter. The woman got my item and entered a UPC from an order sheet. I asked her if I could use the coupon and she said it should. So, she entered it and the computer said that she couldn't. I didn't want to pay the 160.00 after tax instead of the 115.00 with the coupon so I left. I went back an hour later and another cashier took the other's place. I decided that I'd give the coupon another chance, and it took. Weird.

For some reason, it looks like they took a badly used boxset and resealed it. The box was taped shut under the cellophane and the cases were all badly scuffed up. Does Borders have a history of doing this?

FangsFirst 07-29-07 02:21 PM

So I went to the store today with the 30% coupon to pick up my order (Grateful Dead box set) and went up to the counter. The woman got my item and entered a UPC from an order sheet. I asked her if I could use the coupon and she said it should. So, she entered it and the computer said that she couldn't. I didn't want to pay the 160.00 after tax instead of the 115.00 with the coupon so I left. I went back an hour later and another cashier took the other's place. I decided that I'd give the coupon another chance, and it took. Weird.

The reason the 30% didn't take is probably that the first cashier didn't look at it; it's not one of our automatically scanned ones, so it wouldn't "take" at all, it has to be entered manually.

For some reason, it looks like they took a badly used boxset and resealed it. The box was taped shut under the cellophane and the cases were all badly scuffed up. Does Borders have a history of doing this?
We occasionally get them from distributors like that because someone returned them like that, I couldn't say for sure, it's not a company thing though, that's definitely store or distributor level.

surfingelectrod 07-29-07 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
We occasionally get them from distributors like that because someone returned them like that, I couldn't say for sure, it's not a company thing though, that's definitely store or distributor level.

Which is why I'm glad I was able to save 45.00 by using the coupon. I'd be really mad if I paid the retail price and got a used item.

FangsFirst 07-29-07 07:34 PM

Which is why I'm glad I was able to save 45.00 by using the coupon. I'd be really mad if I paid the retail price and got a used item.

I mean, if you're dissatisfied with the condition of a special order, you can tell them that when you pick it up and get it re-ordered...

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-31-07 04:27 PM

It says the 30% is expired now but if you look at it here
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
it shows it expires at the end of august.

FangsFirst 07-31-07 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
It says the 30% is expired now but if you look at it here
it shows it expires at the end of august.

That is a cached link, NOT an official one.

Jaosn1749 08-01-07 11:04 AM

Here's this week's 20% coupon, if anyone gets a 30%, can you post the link?

http://www.bordersmedia.com/coup/coupon_0802.htm

Spiral Staircase 08-01-07 11:34 AM

30% off expires 8/9

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-02-07 11:12 AM

cached link
Yes, it's the cached one for the one that hasn't expired yet. I used it just fine.

FangsFirst 08-02-07 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Yes, it's the cached one for the one that hasn't expired yet. I used it just fine.

Yes but that makes it unofficial and thus fraudulent.

jeffrey r 08-02-07 02:12 PM

Yes but that makes it unofficial and thus fraudulent.

Slippery slope. Since I print out about 5-10 of these at a time, and still have coupons that I printed out when the 8/31 expiry was "official", is it fraudulent if I still use those? Mind you, I used one just this morning, and it took fine at the register. So shouldn't Borders set up their computers to deny a coupon if it is fraudulent or invalid?

Mind you also, that I have spent about $200 at Borders in the past couple of weeks with these coupons, and without the coupons, I literally would have spent $0. I'm fine with paying 30% off retail, but certainly not Borders' regular prices. So, official or not, Borders surely benefits from these coupons. I certainly don't see the Jazz and Classical titles that I buy with the coupons flying off the shelves otherwise.

bookcase3 08-02-07 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
I have spent about $200 at Borders in the past couple of weeks with these coupons, and without the coupons, I literally would have spent $0. I'm fine with paying 30% off retail, but certainly not Borders' regular prices. So, official or not, Borders surely benefits from these coupons.

Same here. I ONLY shop at Borders when they offer these 30% off coupons, otherwise I can find the stuff cheaper at a local B&M or online.

auto 08-02-07 05:54 PM

Question: Can you use these Border coupons on videogames? Actually, does Borders sell videogames?

FangsFirst 08-02-07 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeffrey r
Slippery slope. Since I print out about 5-10 of these at a time, and still have coupons that I printed out when the 8/31 expiry was "official", is it fraudulent if I still use those? Mind you, I used one just this morning, and it took fine at the register. So shouldn't Borders set up their computers to deny a coupon if it is fraudulent or invalid?

That would take massive programming, and quite probably an overhaul of the computers. And technically printing out 5-10 of them is fraudulent as well, but there's some leniency there. But a link that isn't even official is a little different from existing physical copies.

Originally Posted by auto
Question: Can you use these Border coupons on videogames? Actually, does Borders sell videogames?

Some stores do. I don't think they can, but it should be related in the text on the coupon.

PopcornTreeCt 08-03-07 12:35 AM

What is good to get with the 30% off coupon? Are Criterions cheaper than DVD Planet?

Trevor 08-03-07 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What is good to get with the 30% off coupon? Are Criterions cheaper than DVD Planet?

It is pretty rare to find a really good deal at Borders, even with the 30% off coupons. You can almost always find things cheaper using CH or the DDD annual sales.

However, there are definitely some deals to be found occasionally. They are usually mentioned here or elsewhere in the bargain forum.

I end up getting gift cards for Borders every now and then, and try to wait to use them until a 40% off coupon comes along.

auto 08-03-07 12:35 PM

That would take massive programming, and quite probably an overhaul of the computers. And technically printing out 5-10 of them is fraudulent as well, but there's some leniency there. But a link that isn't even official is a little different from existing physical copies.

Some stores do. I don't think they can, but it should be related in the text on the coupon.

Coupon says nothing about videogames. I guess I'll try it out.

bookcase3 08-03-07 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It is pretty rare to find a really good deal at Borders, even with the 30% off coupons. You can almost always find things cheaper using CH or the DDD annual sales.

I end up always using these coupons on CDs, mostly soundtracks, because I generally can't find them cheaper -- or if so, not by much.

Peep 08-03-07 01:25 PM

I thought that, at one point, it was an "official" link, but that it's been taken down since. If so, what's the fuss?

FangsFirst 08-03-07 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
I thought that, at one point, it was an "official" link, but that it's been taken down since. If so, what's the fuss?

Well if they took it down, they clearly don't want it up, so a copy of the link would be fraudulent...

Peep 08-03-07 06:07 PM

Well if they took it down, they clearly don't want it up, so a copy of the link would be fraudulent...

You're throwing the term fraudulent around pretty carelessly. They coupon hasn't expired yet. It's still valid in their system. Why shouldn't people share it. People could have just as easily printed out copies and handed them out to their friends. Would that have been "fraudulent".

And since Boarders does seem to care enough to deactivate the coupon, why do you? Are you their new corporate spokesperson? I didn't think so. Move on.

FangsFirst 08-03-07 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
You're throwing the term fraudulent around pretty carelessly. They coupon hasn't expired yet. It's still valid in their system. Why shouldn't people share it. People could have just as easily printed out copies and handed them out to their friends. Would that have been "fraudulent".

And since Boarders does seem to care enough to deactivate the coupon, why do you? Are you their new corporate spokesperson? I didn't think so. Move on.

No, but I happen to work for them and know how they work. And actually, fraudulent is factual. Read the coupon. If people were passing around copies, that would be fraud--says right there on the coupon.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-03-07 07:35 PM

Making a coupon invalid out of the systems doesn't take massive programming. It's no more difficult than adding a coupon. In fact, making a new coupon is probably more work. It's all database work in the end.

Nowhere does it say you can't print more than one nor is there a policy where it says you can print the coupon but if we take it down from the site you can still use it as long as it isn't expired. When stores want coupons to follow those rules, they email them out as one time use. This is what Blockbuster does with it's online rental. Once you use it, you can't use it again.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 08-03-07 07:42 PM

If people were passing around copies, that would be fraud--says right there on the coupon.

No it doesn't.

It says that it is a single use coupon. One coupon per person during the valid period.

I can have my friend print it 10 times but only use it once. My friend can also print out 20 and pass it out to 20 people.