Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Cheapest store to get Dr. Who (both series)?

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried to find a sale for either of two series since they came out, but so far I've had no luck. Most stores seem to be stocking them pretty close to the original retail price of almost $80. What's the best deal for the two in stores out there?
Old 03-02-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

amazon has both sets for 130.99
http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Com...859012&sr=8-15
Old 03-02-07, 01:01 PM

wherehouse.com gets them used from time to time at around 60...wait for a sale and you can get them cheaper...
Old 03-02-07, 02:06 PM

You missed the cheapest price about 2 months ago....

Barnes and Noble had the BOGO on tv sets and you could have picked up both sets in January for $100
Old 03-02-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheJoker
You missed the cheapest price about 2 months ago....

Barnes and Noble had the BOGO on tv sets and you could have picked up both sets in January for $100
I got mine from B&N for $76.50 during that sale... Unfortunately, these sets are pretty darn expensive usually. I'm guessing you won't see another good price until the next DDD 20% off sale...
Old 03-02-07, 02:44 PM

Thanks to all. I'll keep an eye out for all the info.
Old 03-02-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Yay! A fellow Who fan!

Old 03-02-07, 03:23 PM

Actually, isnt the retail price on these babies $99.99?
Old 03-02-07, 03:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Just watch Heroes and squint.
Old 03-02-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no one it seems read the post about the two sets being 130.99 total at amazon ... oh well that works outto be 65.50 for one set....

isn't that a good deal ??
Old 03-02-07, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by DisneyDVDFAN
no one it seems read the post about the two sets being 130.99 total at amazon ... oh well that works outto be 65.50 for one set....

isn't that a good deal ??
Cheaper at DDD then.....$124.49

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=6421930
Old 03-02-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the new series, both seasons so far, but not enough to pay even $50 per season. I've been spoiled by all the cheap season and series box sets lately, so let me know when they get to the $25 or less range (if ever).
Old 03-02-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I love the new series, both seasons so far, but not enough to pay even $50 per season. I've been spoiled by all the cheap season and series box sets lately, so let me know when they get to the $25 or less range (if ever).
That'll happen in a looooooooooong time...
Old 03-02-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll die before that happens. I've been looking for a good price on the Black Adder boxset for years. I ended up getting each season individually through CH. BBC never seems to lower the prices on their box sets. But like I said earlier, the next DDD 20% off sale should be a good price. If it stays as it is right now, it will be under $100 for both sets shipped. Or you could pray for another B&N sale. I know I am!
Old 03-02-07, 05:51 PM

$25 or less? dream on. I don't think that will ever happen. In my experience with buying BBC shows, if you can get it around 50% off the MSRP, then that in itself is a good bargain already. In the recent Barnes and Noble b1g1 free sale, you could get both season 1 and 2 for around $80 including shipping cost and tax, which I think is the best price ever you will find on these sets. I don't think it would be lower than that. Take for example the old tv show from the 70's "All Creatues Great and Small", it still retails for $80 per season with most places selling for around 60-70 dollars per season. Not much discount on these box sets and you only get 12-13 episodes per season. I don't think BBC will ever offer the massive discounts like the american studios like Fox. Part of the high price also is that the American dollar is relatively weak against the British pound so you have to pay more.

One way of buying BBC shows at a reasonable cost is to buy it all in one box set of multiple seasons at once. Wait for a sale at amazon UK when the price is 55% to 70% off the MSRP, then purchase it then. Your final price takes off an additional 17% for VAT. Of course you need a multi-region dvd player. When you go this route, try to make multiple purchases of dvd sets on one order to save on shipping cost. Shipping is about $6 US dollar for the first item and $2 US dollar for each additional item. The shipping cost is the same for a box set of 25 dvd or a set of 10 dvd. Keep a wishlist of what you want and check back periodically because prices fluctuates constantly. You can also buy new from amazon UK marketplace sellers and sometimes their prices are really cheap.

Other way to buy BBC shows would be through DDD during their 20% sale, but I think you save much more if you buy from amazon uk when the prices drop.

Other option include looking for a store going out of business and who has to quickly liquidate their stocks.
Old 03-02-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat
I don't think BBC will ever offer the massive discounts like the american studios like Fox. Part of the high price also is that the American dollar is relatively weak against the British pound so you have to pay more.
Well, by and large, most BBC shows are released by A&E, so the value of the pound is pretty irrelevant (thank god, it's near 2:1 these days)--but A&E as a company doesn't do big discounts too often, but then, few companies, even the big ones, ever do a 75% discount. It happens, but it's extraordinarily rare (the MSRP on Who is 99.99, so $25 even WOULD be that...).
It may, however, relate to the cost the BBC gives to A&E to buy the *rights* to the shows. No idea on that level...
Old 03-02-07, 11:36 PM

The thing is though, the Doctor who series (new and old) are not distributed by A&E. So yeah.....itll probably never hit that price unless you find a store thats closing and still has it on the shelf.....
Old 03-03-07, 09:46 AM

I love the Doctor Who shows both old and new but I cant justify spending so much $$$$. Hastings sometimes has used sets occasionally. I will have to just enjoy the new series on Sci Fi and now on the Austin PBS station! Long live Doctor Who!!!
Old 03-03-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheJoker
The thing is though, the Doctor who series (new and old) are not distributed by A&E. So yeah.....itll probably never hit that price unless you find a store thats closing and still has it on the shelf.....
You're right and I should have known that, since I own most of the released Baker sets...but for some reason it escaped me. Still, they are not imports or anything, they're still produced for state-side consumption, as they're NTSC, Region 1, etc, so the value of the pound would only come up in distribution or production conversations.
Old 03-03-07, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
You'll die before that happens. I've been looking for a good price on the Black Adder boxset for years. I ended up getting each season individually through CH. BBC never seems to lower the prices on their box sets. But like I said earlier, the next DDD 20% off sale should be a good price. If it stays as it is right now, it will be under $100 for both sets shipped. Or you could pray for another B&N sale. I know I am!
You may be right, however, I got the Black Adder box set through Columbia House, when I was a member, for $65. To my mind, that was only $13 per season.
Old 03-04-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FangsFirst
You're right and I should have known that, since I own most of the released Baker sets...but for some reason it escaped me. Still, they are not imports or anything, they're still produced for state-side consumption, as they're NTSC, Region 1, etc, so the value of the pound would only come up in distribution or production conversations.
I think the problem is that they are perceived as a niche product, and the label doesn't anticipate enough interest to justify a lower price point. Which sucks, because I really want season 2 but can't bring myself to pull the trigger at $70.
Old 03-04-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Preterite
I think the problem is that they are perceived as a niche product, and the label doesn't anticipate enough interest to justify a lower price point. Which sucks, because I really want season 2 but can't bring myself to pull the trigger at $70.
And to my mind yeah you have hit upon the exact problem.
And they're probably not far off--they are fairly niche, which sucks for us, but not much we can do...
Old 03-05-07, 12:54 AM

maybe DDD will put them on a B1G1 BBC sale ???
Old 07-19-08, 08:42 PM

I know this is an old thread, but it seemed the best thread to bump and ask. Where can I find all three seasons for the best deal? I'm not finding anything better than $70/ set.

OK. With the WB Store 30% coupon it's about $55 a set. Can I beat that?

Last edited by rmick; 07-19-08 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-19-08, 09:47 PM

Probably not unless sometimes DD will have a B1G1 sale on BBC. Once it did include Doctor Who.

Otherwise, wait for, like said earlier in the thread, for BN's sales, sometimes gets to 30% then if member add 10% more and then if have coupon add 15% or even 20% or 25% (last 2 rarely).

Who knows? :-)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.