Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

CompUSA closing/liquidating starts TOMORROW (2/28)! Post your finds here!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 02-27-07, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone who doesn't already know, CompUSA is doing a nationwide "store reduction" (down to 100 stores from nearly 300).

Go here http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp to see the list of stores that will REMAIN OPEN. If your local store isn't on the list, it's toast, and the liquidating begins tomorrow (2/28).

Figured we should start a thread on any good finds. Let the bargain hunting begin!

(And yes, I know there is a thread about this in the Store Forum, but I figured there should be one here, so we can exchange info on the best deals).
Old 02-27-07, 07:23 PM

Damn it. My local store is staying open. They deserve to go out of business. They deserve to go out of business SO BAD.

Thankfully, I'm not bitter.
Old 02-27-07, 07:31 PM

Any idea how long the stores that are scheduled to close going to stay open? Also, do you know what the starting liquidation discount is going to be?
Old 02-27-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine is closing, but I don't think I could bring myself to go back in there.
Old 02-27-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
Any idea how long the stores that are scheduled to close going to stay open? Also, do you know what the starting liquidation discount is going to be?
At this point, you know what I know. If I find out anything more, I'll be happy to post it here pronto! (Hubby's gunning for an HDTV from the CompUSA/GoodGuys love child that arrived just last year....)
Old 02-27-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I'm surprised but mine is closing too. No store in Milwaukee... I actually went there on black Friday a few months ago and bought a new computer there! Good thing I got my extended warranty direct from Acer and not from them...
Old 02-27-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did some further investigating... looks like these were the first four on the chopping block (with their liquidations having begun last week):

Long Beach, CA (PCH) (Store # 175)
6310 East Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90803

San Mateo, CA (Store #728)
41 West Hillsdale Boulevard, San Mateo, CA 94403

Mesquite, TX (Store #127)
1515 Town East Blvd. #168, Mesquite, TX 75150

Skokie, IL (Store #177)
7011 Central Ave., Skokie, IL 60077
Old 02-27-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And here's the latest as reported by SmarterGuy over at FW:

Update: The Consumerist correspondent is now saying not to expect good deals in the clearance sale:

"As for closeout sales, if you remember the Kansas City store closings & 14 others, they did not make any good deals. Yet they just screwed people out of their money.

"They ran normal sales through their flyers, and you could no longer return the product at any CompUSA. You did not get any good deals. They might run 10% and gradually go up a little bit. But they sold most of it to a eBay wholesaler who bought it all for 4 cents to the dollar..."

NEW UPDATE (2/27):

"CompUSA is closing 128 of 229 stores, a source familiar with the proceedings tells The Consumerist.

"A liquidator, the same used for Good Guys, will take over tomorrow, Wednesday 2/28, he says.

"A company insider also tells us that says the closed stores will be ones with a high monthly rent and will include locations on the East Coast, West Coast, and in the Chicago and Atlanta areas.

"Stores being closed were informed via conference call with headquarters around 3pm eastern time today."
Old 02-27-07, 08:11 PM
Cool New Member

Looks like most, if not all the stores in South Florida are doing fine and staying open.
Old 02-27-07, 08:14 PM
Cool New Member

Wow, there won't be a single store left in So. Cal. south of Santa Barbara and Bakersfield. That only leaves Fry's to get computer stuff when its needed quickly. As much as I detest them all, I detest having no choices and a lack of competition even more.
Old 02-27-07, 08:18 PM

all of chicago land is going out. crazy. ah the good old days of working there...
Old 02-27-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bwsmom
"As for closeout sales, if you remember the Kansas City store closings & 14 others, they did not make any good deals. Yet they just screwed people out of their money.
I'm not so sure about that. I live in KC and took advantage of one of the stores here closing. The deals at first sucked, but near the end what was left had some great prices. It wasn't anything exciting, but if you needed a new hard drive or something you could save over going to Best Buy. There just wasn't anything cheap enough to make it worth buying things you didn't actually need.
Old 02-27-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I'm not so sure about that. I live in KC and took advantage of one of the stores here closing. The deals at first sucked, but near the end what was left had some great prices. It wasn't anything exciting, but if you needed a new hard drive or something you could save over going to Best Buy. There just wasn't anything cheap enough to make it worth buying things you didn't actually need.
I just post 'em - they're not my own musings.
Old 02-27-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just post 'em - they're not my own musings.
Oh I know. I was just sharing my experience. Really you just have to be smart about these closeout sales. It's a waiting game, you can't go the first day and get good stuff. Hold out and you can get some nice deals.
Old 02-27-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be NO stores in the DC region? That's just weird.
Old 02-27-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vballboy51
all of chicago land is going out. crazy.
I noticed that. I spent a lot of time (and money) in the Schaumburg store.
Old 02-27-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larbo
Wow, there won't be a single store left in So. Cal. south of Santa Barbara and Bakersfield. That only leaves Fry's to get computer stuff when its needed quickly. As much as I detest them all, I detest having no choices and a lack of competition even more.
The Oxnard location is toast. I'll swing by tomorrow to see if they have any Zune Premiun headphones. Wouldn't mind snatching those for $20 or so.
Old 02-28-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Holy crap!! There will only be one store left in Michigan?!?!? In Lansing?!?!? I have one within sight of my work and there's another one close by my home. Thing is, I've hardly shopped there in ages. They just didn't have good prices.
Old 02-28-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did some further investigating... looks like these were the first four on the chopping block (with their liquidations having begun last week):

Mesquite, TX (Store #127)
1515 Town East Blvd. #168, Mesquite, TX 75150
I was at this store last sunday. The bargains weren't all that great at that point, so I didn't feel it was necessary to post. I may check out some tomorrow, though.
Old 02-28-07, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Larbo
Meh I could care less if our closed. I haven't bought anything there for years.
Old 02-28-07, 12:33 AM
Cool New Member

This really sucks! I still have 1.5 years left on a 3-year TAP service plan for my computer, and the only store remaining open in Arizona is in Tucson - 140 miles ONE WAY!
Old 02-28-07, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't really feel sorry for CompUSA considering the horrible experiences I have had over the years with them. My local store is staying open.
Old 02-28-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Go here http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp to see the list of stores that will REMAIN OPEN. If your local store isn't on the list, it's toast, and the liquidating begins tomorrow (2/28).
Well, that just sucks.
Old 02-28-07, 01:22 AM
Cool New Member

i wonder how they are going to handle people who still have service plans there

"sorry.. sucks4u"
Old 02-28-07, 02:41 AM
Cool New Member

FYI, the official CompUSA news release has been posted here:

http://www.compusa.com/about/news.asp

CompUSA Announces Realignment Strategy

DALLAS, Feb. 27, 2007 - As part of its plan to realign the organization, CompUSA today announced a comprehensive strategy to improve the company's financial status. The realignment includes a cash infusion, store closures, major expense reductions and a corporate restructuring.

As part of CompUSA's realignment strategy, the company will receive a $440 million cash capital infusion. The financial boost will be designated to improve the company's balance sheet.

"Based on changing conditions in the consumer retail electronics market, the company identified the need to close and sell stores with low performance or non strategic, old store layouts and locations faced with market saturation. The process began last week with the closing of four CompUSA stores and over the next 60-90 days, the company will close a total of 126 stores in the United States to focus on initiatives that enhance its top performing locations," said Roman Ross, chief executive officer, CompUSA.

CompUSA will continue to offer products and services at 1-800-CompUSA and online at compusa.com, providing more than 80,000 items for consumers and small and medium businesses, along with top-notch technical service from CompUSA TechPro.

Today's announcement allows the company to focus its efforts and ensure a strong presence in its 103 stores in 39 states and Puerto Rico.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.