Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 12:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by EvlAsh
One of the discs that I received free during this "sale" came out scratched. Now that they've corrected the glitch, does anyone know if I can still exchange the disc with out getting charged the regular sale price?
Yes. Even if the title you buy is free, you can swap it for a working copy.
Old 03-01-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nohoaudiovideo
I second that. Never trust what they say. Have them ring it up. If a deal doesn't work once they complete the transaction just walk away and say you changed your mind. Who cares what they think of you
I agree. Why pay knowing you'll have to wait in the refund line? And it's a waste of both your and the refund cashier's time.
Old 03-01-07, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is nothing wrong with going up to a cashier and ask for a price-check. The cashier would have to scan at least two DVDs and enter Total to confirm the B1G1 sale, but it takes only one-click to cancel the whole transaction and he/she usually has a basket nearby for stuffs people decide not to buy at the last minute.
Old 03-01-07, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by cine
There is nothing wrong with going up to a cashier and ask for a price-check. The cashier would have to scan at least two DVDs and enter Total to confirm the B1G1 sale, but it takes only one-click to cancel the whole transaction and he/she usually has a basket nearby for stuffs people decide not to buy at the last minute.
Bad advice.

I'm not sure about this deal, but many times a price check does not show the real price, but the original price. After hitting their total button (or whatever it is, apply promos?) the price of an item will often change. Not just this B1G1F offer, but many many other offers and discounts.

Again, even if the price check with total works as you describe, I would never just ask for a price check at any store where you thought there was an instant price reduction or other deal. I know for a fact that many times the price check screens do not show the offers and deduct the prices that the "real" screen shows.
Old 03-01-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Bad advice.

I'm not sure about this deal, but many times a price check does not show the real price, but the original price. After hitting their total button (or whatever it is, apply promos?) the price of an item will often change. Not just this B1G1F offer, but many many other offers and discounts.

Again, even if the price check with total works as you describe, I would never just ask for a price check at any store where you thought there was an instant price reduction or other deal. I know for a fact that many times the price check screens do not show the offers and deduct the prices that the "real" screen shows.
cine may have said "price-check" but clearly described taking the sale past the "Total" button (which would apply all of the discounts).
Old 03-01-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I prefer the, "I'm terribly sorry, I forgot my cash" line. I then always offer to return the items to the shelves for them.
Same here, but some folks have expressed, oh I dunno, call it "checkout angst", worrying so much about the possibility of having to back out of the transaction at the last moment that they may not go to the register in the first place. My advice to them is if it really is a problem, plan to go ahead with the purchase regardless of whether the "deal" rings up right or not because you can always return the merchandise.
Old 03-01-07, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
cine may have said "price-check" but clearly described taking the sale past the "Total" button (which would apply all of the discounts).
Yep, but I just wanted to make sure. The price check screen does have a total function, but it does not apply all the discounts.

They are two different processes, and you have to be in the real purchase section to get the promos/discounts.
Old 03-01-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up a total of 10 movies. No need to list. Then of course I had to grab a prevew disc for everyone going to the movie with me since I'm such a nice guy....tee hee. Either way, this was the DEAL OF THE YEAR so far. I think there should be some type of award given to the DEAL OF THE YEAR winner. Who wants to start another useless thread?!?!? j/k

Thanks OP!!!!
Old 03-01-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone calling this deal "one of the best" ever been part of CH?
Old 03-01-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Is anyone calling this deal "one of the best" ever been part of CH?"

The answer is yes, several times in the last 15 years. Now I don't have the time nor the patience. But to those that do, more power to ya. Every one of those type of companies have screwed me over that I just don't even bother anymore. It's just not worht the headache. Now it's strictly B&M for my media fix.

Anyone else read the large thread from the guy that used to work for one of those companies. It's an interesting read and just proved my suspicions. Don't ask me where. I don;t have the patience to look.

Oh, and if columbia house is such a good deal why are you reading this thread? Not to be mean but if I had a nickel for every time someone came into a VERY GOOD DEAL thread and said "You guys think that's a good deal need to check out columbia house." I'd be the richest man in the known universe. But again, I digress.

Last edited by C_Fletch; 03-01-07 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-01-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Why does CH have to constantly be brought into DVD deal discussions? That's why there is a separate CH forum. So if the price of a dvd can't beat the average price bought from CH, should the deal not be posted at all?

As for this deal, you get 2 dvd's for $10, plus you get $10 in movie cash for free from the 300 preview dvd. So purely on cash value, that's 2 DVD's for free. Or, 2 DVD's and a trip to the movie theater for $10. Yeah, I think that beats CH.
Old 03-01-07, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Yes. And this deal totally beats anything CH has ever had.

2 movies, 2 bonus discs, and $21 in moviecash for $10.

On top of that, you get the movies in hand, no waiting, no floaters, no dealing with CH customer service if there is a problem.
Old 03-01-07, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gambit
As for this deal, you get 2 dvd's for $10, plus you get $10 in movie cash for free from the 300 preview dvd. So purely on cash value, that's 2 DVD's for free. Or, 2 DVD's and a trip to the movie theater for $10. Yeah, I think that beats CH.
Two trips to the movie theater if you wanted.
Old 03-01-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The fact that you don't have to deal with borderline retarded customer service people at Best Buy is also an advantage over CH. CH has fumbled my current account so many times and in so many ways that I am hesitant to ever do business with them again. Even with that huge concern aside, this deal surpasses CH due to its cheaper overall average per disc. So yeah, I've been a part of CH and this deal blows CH out of the water.
Old 03-01-07, 05:43 PM

Also, when buying from CH you need to have at least $13 for the initial set of dvds (a very good value), and then within two years pay them another $40 or so (depending on shipping and sales). So while the overall value is indeed great, it's still to me a loss because of the prolonged relationship you have to endure with ch, or to cut that short, pay quickly up front. Simply paying $10 cash for some awesome movies PLUS movie cash is quick, easy, and more convenient.
I want to do ch again sometime in the future (only done it once), but I don't know if I can handle the hassle they gave me before.
Old 03-01-07, 06:37 PM

Confirm that the B1G1 BOGO OSCAR deal is now dead. Tried to go back for 3rd dip today and they all rang up 9.99 each only. The 300 CD are still ok but I didn't buy any as results (giving excuses that I forgot my CC at cashier).

Damn, I guess it took memo only 2 days to here in small town IL.
Old 03-01-07, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by C_Fletch
"Is anyone calling this deal "one of the best" ever been part of CH?"

The answer is yes, several times in the last 15 years. Now I don't have the time nor the patience. But to those that do, more power to ya. Every one of those type of companies have screwed me over that I just don't even bother anymore. It's just not worht the headache. Now it's strictly B&M for my media fix.

Anyone else read the large thread from the guy that used to work for one of those companies. It's an interesting read and just proved my suspicions. Don't ask me where. I don;t have the patience to look.

Oh, and if columbia house is such a good deal why are you reading this thread? Not to be mean but if I had a nickel for every time someone came into a VERY GOOD DEAL thread and said "You guys think that's a good deal need to check out columbia house." I'd be the richest man in the known universe. But again, I digress.
Have you tried the deal in Chattanooga?
Old 03-02-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Have you tried the deal in Chattanooga?"

Yes. Both stores but I doubt they still have the special going as they seem to change their pricing thru the entire system which everyone is reporting. They had plenty of the 300 discs left.
Old 03-02-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
One of the discs that I received free during this "sale" came out scratched. Now that they've corrected the glitch, does anyone know if I can still exchange the disc with out getting charged the regular sale price?
Dude, I got the same problem with my Magnolia New Line Platinum DVD. I have it exchanged last night without any charge. There should be no problem

And for the OP (thophrman?) or Mod, I think its better if we change now the thread's title.. Have the "R" of the word Read changed to "D" for Dead

Last edited by xage; 03-02-07 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-02-07, 05:06 PM

I guess that's what I get for procrastinating.

Thanks anyway.
Old 03-02-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Palpadious
I guess that's what I get for procrastinating.

Thanks anyway.
Same Here
Old 03-02-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like someone said before, these same titles were $8.99 at Costco tonight, but I didn't see ALL of them.
Old 03-02-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was going to say that thing about how I should not have procrastinated too, but somehow you posted it before I got around to it.

Oh and another thing about Columbia House is that their fun cash really isn't either one of those words.
Old 03-03-07, 12:18 AM

just wondering- has this has been confirmed as dead at multiple locations?

sad i was out of town and missed this
Old 03-03-07, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by maxinquaye
just wondering- has this has been confirmed as dead at multiple locations?
Yes it is confirmed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.