Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

Old 02-28-07, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in Northern, VA spot any Casablancas? Fair Lakes was sold out as of yesterday...
Old 02-28-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyOrgan
Anyone in Northern, VA spot any Casablancas? Fair Lakes was sold out as of yesterday...
I've been to the Reston and Pentagon city stores, and I didn't see any 2-disc Casablancas. However, the Reston store cleverly stocked the old 1-disc DVDs above the "$9.99" sign in the stacks, obviously a trick to con the unwary.
Old 02-28-07, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'll vouch for True Romance being kick butt good. But really, for $5 and a free $10 movie ticket and free preview DVD, all of them are worth a go.

Ha, I know you are right, it's just that I already got 14 titles. I feel like I'm pushing it with getting more. I may just get all 4. I'll see what's in stock around 1 pm.
Old 02-28-07, 10:51 AM

B1G1 Free still working today at my local Best Buy and lots of 300 Discs.
Old 02-28-07, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
It's a glitch. It contradicts the ad, and corporate sent out memo's about it (which most stores have apparently ignored). They are losing their a$$es on this deal, I'm sure. Especially when combined with the 300 tickets. I wonder what BB paid to get that 300 promotion. It surely wasn't free...

Ken --

I am not so sure anymore. What that item about corporate does is allow them to proclaim deniability re all the other retailers who are suffering at least with respect to these titles in their own sales.

I think it no coincidence that these WB titles are on sale this week and the preview disc for "300" -- I assume a Warner movie -- is also being rolled out this week.

Another poster just mentioned that he bought a DVD with a Tower sticker on it.

It seems to me that there must be some sort of marketing agreement between Best Buy and Warner -- not only to clear out some old or slow selling titles, but also to obtain a critical mass of people who likely will go and see the movie during its opening weekend.

It may go something like this -- You get the really rabid followers of movies and DVDs into the store and you offer not only a steal on some existing DVDs but also the opportunity to get a free ticket to the upcoming release of 300.

Now, I have done a little sleuthing and have read that 300 opened to some mixed reviews -- elites may have hated the filme, but fans of Miller/American Action Movies etc. really liked it. I think also that it is beyond dispute that Sin City underpeformed at the box office, when it was released, as well.

What one of those posts indicated is that the free tix are counted as a paid admission for purposes of the "take" for compiling the weekend/weekly box office figures -- including opening weekend. So, if the film performs well there, that is helpful to the film's longevity in the theaters.

So, too, is the possibility that you get ravenous and cost concious fans descend on the store who advertises the free tix for the upcoming film.

Now, a person who just goes in to BB to buy a DVD may or may not be aware to pick up the 300 Disc -- and they may or may not later go to the film, at all, let alone opening weekend.

On the other hand, the customer base for those who descend for this great bargain are much more likely IMHO to go to the move -- based upon either the opportunity to see something for free or to see a live action sort of movie or because they are fans of comic books brought to the screen or any of them together.

Even the pigs who take more discs than they could possibly use and then re-sell them on E-Bay actually work to the film's advantage -- it is very, very likely that someone who bought the free tix on E-Bay will go to see the film, just so they could recoup their outlay of cash for their investment, as well as getting the benefit of their bargain from E-Bay.

I think this is a very clever marketing ploy by WB and BB, whereby they both can plausibly deny severly undercutting BB's competition for these titles this week, while building up a good word of mouth campagin and a critical mass of the "faithful" to not only assist in increasing the opening weekend's box office take, but also to perhaps counteract any negative critical reaction from effett critics who just don't get the entire action/comic book genre at all.

By the way, I am old enough to remember that Clint Eastwood and his Spagetti Westerns were greeted with derision by the critics while the masses loved his movies. This is a way to obtain a built in audience who likely will enjoy the movie, if for no other reason that they got such a deal to see it.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by VALUEMAN; 02-28-07 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 11:12 AM

I don't see how this could be an official deal. The MSRP of these are all $20+. How can they sell them for $5 each? That's less than wholesale! Esp. considering last week's $19.99 BOGOF deal. Also - It's unadvertised. If they really wanted to cash in they would have put it in the ad UNLESS Warner specifically told them not to which is possible. Also, no employees seemed to know anything about it. As far as everyone I talked to was concerned it was just the original $10 sale price. Oh well. Great Deal! Thanks OP!!
Old 02-28-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VALUEMAN
Ken --

I think it no coincidence that these WB titles are on sale this week and the preview disc for "300" -- I assume a Warner movie -- is also being rolled out this week.

Another poster just mentioned that he bought a DVD with a Tower sticker on it.

It seems to me that there must be some sort of marketing agreement between Best Buy and Warner -- not only to clear out some old or slow selling titles, but also to obtain a critical mass of people who likely will go and see the movie during its opening weekend.

Just my 2 cents.
I think a possible flaw in your argument is that 20th Century Fox DVDs are also included in this "secret" promotion.
Old 02-28-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Serenity is on sale for 9.99... part of the deal?
Old 02-28-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by docdoowop
I can't believe some of you have never seen the greatest car chase picture ever, "Bullitt".
Bullitt's car chase scene was top-knotch, I'll give you that, but for my money it's Ronin. Honorable mentions to The French Connection and (of course) The Blues Brothers.
Old 02-28-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What about To Live and Die in LA? I thought it had a great chase scene.
Old 02-28-07, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear
I've been to the Reston and Pentagon city stores, and I didn't see any 2-disc Casablancas. However, the Reston store cleverly stocked the old 1-disc DVDs above the "$9.99" sign in the stacks, obviously a trick to con the unwary.
They did the same thing here in the Wilmington store except it was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Of course, that is the one that I am wanting. BTW, if anyone can find OFOtCN(2 disc) I would be willing to pay $5.50+ shipping.
Old 02-28-07, 11:33 AM

I got one at Potomac Yards on Sunday. I know they had a few copies left but I can't remember how many.
Old 02-28-07, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I really wish it was. Great movie! But it is not a 2 disc movie, so it is not part of the sale. Still, that's not a bad price.
Old 02-28-07, 11:35 AM

Wannabe
Senior Member SAID:

I think a possible flaw in your argument is that 20th Century Fox DVDs are also included in this "secret" promotion.
Really, Which are Fox titles? Out of all the 33 titles in this sale all mine say Warner.
Old 02-28-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
Nope. There are SEVERAL DVDs on sale for 9.99 that aren't part of B1G1. The B1G1 titles have been posted previously, if it's not on that list, it's not part of the deal. Here are the OTHER 9.99 sale-priced DVDs:

Beer League
Beerfest
Bewitched
Dreamer
Family Stone
Fight Club
40 Year Old Virgin
Friends With Money
Gladiator
Gone In 60 Seconds
Grease (Rockin Rydell Edition)
Health Inspector
How To Eat Fried Worms
Just Like Heaven
Lady In The Water
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Munich
No Strings Attached
Pirates Of The Caribbean II
Pride & Prejudice
Rest Stop
Running Scared
Scarface
Serenity
Something's Gotta Give
Star Wars III
That's So Suite
Tootsie
Wicker Man

Linky: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....equestid=43194
Old 02-28-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Deal may be dead at the Western Hills store in Cincinnati. I tried to purchase The Philadelphia Story and SE7EN with two 300 discs, and the B1G1 confirmation screen never came up. I told the cashier that the $9.99 discs in that display rang up as B1G1 yesterday, and she asked if I was purchasing the same two discs today.

I tried having her remove one of the 300 discs to see if that was the cause (since I only picked up one with my B1G1 purchase there yesterday), but it didn't make a difference. I didn't want to get a manager involved, so I apologized and told her I would pass on the purchase.

I may try another location after work this evening, but I'm a bit bummed now.
Old 02-28-07, 11:48 AM

yup, it's dead now
Old 02-28-07, 11:52 AM

WTF? It's DEAD??
Old 02-28-07, 11:55 AM

I don't see how this could be an official deal. The MSRP of these are all $20+. How can they sell them for $5 each? That's less than wholesale! Esp. considering last week's $19.99 BOGOF deal. Also - It's unadvertised. If they really wanted to cash in they would have put it in the ad UNLESS Warner specifically told them not to which is possible. Also, no employees seemed to know anything about it. As far as everyone I talked to was concerned it was just the original $10 sale price. Oh well. Great Deal! Thanks OP!!
I agree. There's no way this is a Official Deal. It's a glitch in their system that they haven't fixed yet or chose not to fix. EDIT: Looks like they fixed it!

It's just like the $5 off video game coupon they had over a year ago. It was supposed to take $5 off a $19.99 game or accessory, but instead, it was taking $5 off every game and accessory $5 or more. So, if you bought one $19.99 game/acc and nine other games/accessories priced at $5, you got $50 marked off. This went on for almost a week.
Old 02-28-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daveymark
yup, it's dead now

Nationwide?

Proof?
Old 02-28-07, 11:56 AM

Hey, if it is dead, let's not have a bunch of whining or complaining about it. Be thankful that it lasted as long as did, and that we were able to get hold of some GREAT deals!!
Old 02-28-07, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by head dvd nut
Hey, if it is dead, let's not have a bunch of whining or complaining about it. Be thankful that it lasted as long as did, and that we were able to get hold of some GREAT deals!!
Amen Brother!
Old 02-28-07, 11:58 AM

Louisville Kentucky = dead
Old 02-28-07, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Nationwide?

Proof?
what kind of proof do you want? A pic of the screen that pops up on the cash register that only shows the 300 promo?
Old 02-28-07, 12:07 PM

Wait - So King Kong isn't part of the BOGOF? Or do i need to buy a certain number of 300 discs w/ a purchase of over $10.50? I'm confused!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.