Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

Old 02-27-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the beauty of living in a town with only 70,000 people is that there aren't that many clamoring over a good deal they found on the internet. i went to the longview, tx store earlier to pick up the new bill engvall album and see if the deal was working. most of the titles mentioned, i already have but i picked up:

million dollar baby
shawshank redemption
bullitt
king kong
yankee doodle dandy
goodfellas

when i went to the register, the girl rang them up. i saw the BOGO screen come up and was worried that she would click the 'no' button. but everything went fine and i got the stuff for cheap. some of those movies i might not spend much money on, but they are definitely worth $5 each.
Old 02-27-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Lots of 300 discs, but no go on the 2-for-$9.99. Not wanting to risk embarrassment at checkout, I asked a clerk beforehand to scan them. He said they had been ringing up 2-for-$9.99 on Sunday, but it was an error that had since been fixed. Since I own all of the available titles I really want, I put everything back.

You only get the discount when you get to the total... I worked for me today at Melboure, FL (an hour ago) I got this Batman 1&2 Poseiden and V for Vendetta.
Old 02-27-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got some great titles for others at the sale, but no 300 disc. If anyone could spare a disc that would be great...don't even need the movie ticket, but would like to see the dvd.
Old 02-27-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deal is alive and well in Boise. Got 12 titles and 3 300 DVDs. I did have to be careful not to pick up the old 1-disc versions of some of them, but I found everything I was looking for.

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the deal since my local BB is in Salem, OR (a 40 mile drive). However I'm here in Boise on a business trip, so it worked out great
Old 02-27-07, 07:25 PM

Went to BB in Rockville and Gaithersburg, Md. Works fine thanks!!! It only gave the discount after using the Reward Zone id.
Old 02-27-07, 07:31 PM

Works fine at Square One Mall in Saugus, MA. Got Batman, My Fair Lady, Shawshank, Philadelphia Story, M. Dollar Baby and King Kong. There were plenty of 300 discs as well. Does anyone know if this is working at the Fenway Best Buy?

Last edited by knew25; 02-28-07 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Edited to correct movie title.
Old 02-27-07, 07:37 PM

It's not a glitch. I talked to my old manager when I was buying movies there.(I used to work there) I had some of the movies in my hand and he said " Hey, you know we are having a buy one get one free deal on those right?"
Old 02-27-07, 07:38 PM

It worked for me as well, but not until the cashier hits the total button. While picking out the movies I asked a floor person if the movies were BOGO and he said no.

Got Casablanca, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Unforgiven and Heat.

I only grabbed two 300 discs- was tempted to grab one for each movie, but I only need two. It's a small gesture, but I was thinking about my fellow DVD Talkers and did not want to be greedy. Hope everyone gets what they want.

iexx

Thanks OP for the great find!
Old 02-27-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My local BB (Duluth, GA) wanted to do separate transaction to ring up the free 300 DVD for each purchased DVD, and I had 6 DVDs, and I just passed on the deal (no way I wanted to ring up 6 separate transactions, plus it would negate the B1G1F effect). I could have settled for 3 separate transactions (buy 2, get 1 300 DVD free), but I just didn't have the stomach for it, so I just left.
Old 02-27-07, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by knew25
Works fine at Square One Mall in Saugus, MA. Got Batman, My Fair Lady, Shawshank, Philadelphia Experiment, M. Dollar Baby and King Kong. There were plenty of 300 discs as well. Does anyone know if this is working at the Fenway Best Buy?

Don't know how you got Philadelphia Experiment cause it shoulda been Philadelphia, but more power to ya!
Old 02-27-07, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by hellmutt
Could be you didn't wait for the final tally??? It all rings up at full price until they do the final tally... then the price drops off.
The cashier scanned both items, she had the total at $21.xx, and that's when I backed out of the transaction.
I had only read a few different pages of this thread, so I didn't know there was anything tricky about it. Even if I had, I would think that if I haven't gotten one free item by the time the total is calculated on the screen then it wasn't going to happen.
Old 02-27-07, 07:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by knew25
Works fine at Square One Mall in Saugus, MA. Got Batman, My Fair Lady, Shawshank, Philadelphia Experiment, M. Dollar Baby and King Kong. There were plenty of 300 discs as well. Does anyone know if this is working at the Fenway Best Buy?
Yeah but they're pretty much out of stock on everything. I managed to grab the last copies of Constantine and The Philadelphia Story.
Old 02-27-07, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by VALUEMAN
Don't know how you got Philadelphia Experiment cause it shoulda been Philadelphia, but more power to ya!
In reality the title in the deal is the 1940 film "The Philadelphia Story". I'm sure the other two films you mentioned are good too, though.
Old 02-27-07, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by LostFan

I do have a question: Some have used the joke of Bestbuy charging your credit card for the free movie (which is obviously not true since it wouldn't be an authorized purchase), but that joke has to be based on some sort of reality. Did some company try and do this at some point?
This is based on the Amazon.com pricing/total glitch they had on TV series right before Christmas. It was supposed to be Buy One Get One Free, but when you went to checkout, it gave you a DOUBLE promotional discount! Which, most people got all their TV series for free or next to nothing!

Long story short, Amazon sent an email to all that purchased saying either return the DVDs by xx-xx date or be charged for them. IT really set off a BIG bru-ha-ha pertaining to whether it was legal or not to charge again for a shipment that had already been shipped and received.

I still do not know what the final outcome of it all is. I do know that there is a HUGE thread over in the Store Forum pertaining to it all.
Old 02-27-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked up Amadeus, East of Eden, Enter the Dragon, and King Kong plus four 300 discs for $21.xx in NC at ~8:00 EST - still ringing up B1G1 free at that point. Had most of the rest of them, otherwise, I would've went crazy
Old 02-27-07, 08:00 PM

So I went back again tonight to Coppell. There were new copies of My Fair Lady, which was out yesterday.

I went ahead and picked up:
Mystic River
Amadeus
East of Eden
Rebel without a Cause

I think I'm going to go back one more time if it's still working to grab Batman Returns and some other random title.

Just such a great deal.
Old 02-27-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from stocking up here in Independence, MO. I started out getting The Pick Of Destiny along with Batman Returns, Shawshank Redemption and a couple 300 discs. I checked out and it rang up fine, $29.06 for all of it.

Since the BOGO went through I threw that in the car and headed right back in for 8 more movies. I had the same cashier this time and just remarked that I decided to use more of my gift card. He rang them up and started to say "your total is $86..." then it popped up the offer and he hit ok then told me my total was $43.05. He kinda mentioned that it was cheap and I just agreed that yeah, it's a hell of a deal and took my movies and left. I wish I had grabbed more 300 discs that second time through but I don't need dozens and I didn't wanna tempt fate. When I was in the second time I did tell a guy that was looking at Se7en about the deal and told him to be sure to get an even number of movies.

All told I ended up leaving with...

The Pick Of Destiny
2x 300 Freebies
Batman Returns
Shawshank Redemption
Bullitt
Mystic River
Unforgiven
Million Dollar Baby
True Romance
Heat
Goodfellas
Rebel Without A Cause

Not a bad haul for the price. The only thing that bums me out is I couldn't get The Lost Boys. I looked everywhere and the only two copies in the whole store were obvious floaters so I had to pass.
Old 02-27-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

over 31,000 view on this topic and it still works, very niiice! i got mine yesterday so i think i am good unless i go back to best buy for a new release.
Old 02-27-07, 08:20 PM

I already picked up 14 great titles, but am thinking of heading back tomorrow for a couple more.

I'm trying to decide on which 2 to get from these...

East of Eden
Yankee Doodle Dandy
True Romance
Bullitt
The Lost Boys
Enter The Dragon

All of these would be blind buys...

Which 2 should I get???

Here's the damage...
Million Dollar Baby 3-disc X2
Gothika 2-disc
Heat 2-disc
Magnolia SE
Batman SE
Batman Returns SE
Enter the Dragon SE
Lost Boys SE
Rebel Without a Cause
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: 2 DVD Special Edition
Amadeus: Director’s Cut
Unforgiven: 2 DVD Special Edition
GoodFellas: 2 DVD Special Edition
with three 300 movie tickets
All for $73.50
I'm officially done with this...thanks again tophrman.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Lots of 300 discs, but no go on the 2-for-$9.99. Not wanting to risk embarrassment at checkout, I asked a clerk beforehand to scan them. He said they had been ringing up 2-for-$9.99 on Sunday, but it was an error that had since been fixed. Since I own all of the available titles I really want, I put everything back.
Best Buy Promotions are never applied until the clerk hits a button on their keyboard to finalize the sale (or whatever), then a pop-up window appears and they have to accept it. Just scanning them isn't going to tell you anything. They will both scan at 9.99 until that is done. This is true of pretty much all Best Buy promotions....the clerk has to hit a certain key to get those pop-up windows.
Old 02-27-07, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by head dvd nut
This is based on the Amazon.com pricing/total glitch they had on TV series right before Christmas. It was supposed to be Buy One Get One Free, but when you went to checkout, it gave you a DOUBLE promotional discount! Which, most people got all their TV series for free or next to nothing!

Long story short, Amazon sent an email to all that purchased saying either return the DVDs by xx-xx date or be charged for them. IT really set off a BIG bru-ha-ha pertaining to whether it was legal or not to charge again for a shipment that had already been shipped and received.

I still do not know what the final outcome of it all is. I do know that there is a HUGE thread over in the Store Forum pertaining to it all.

Thanks for filling me in. I'm curious how that turned out with Amazon since it was their fault.

This is the weirdest sale ever. How can some people have 'proof/experiences' with BB employees that confirm the sale while others have memos saying its a mistake? I'm not totally surprised, BB is often screwed up (esp. their online help/stores in my experience). My brother in law is a Geek Squad guy, maybe after this all settles down and is over, I'll ask him if he knows anything about it (although he may not).
Old 02-27-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh and I didn't get any 300 disc or ticket, oh well.
Old 02-27-07, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by iexx
It worked for me as well, but not until the cashier hits the total button. While picking out the movies I asked a floor person if the movies were BOGO and he said no.
The same thing happened to me yesterday!

Picked up True Romance and upgraded my Mystic River today (deal still good), and also got a few 300 discs. Kind of wanted V For Vendetta, but the only copy they had left sounded like it contained loose discs inside. Great deal anyway though!
Old 02-27-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,076 Likes on 2,038 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was going to buy two individual titles seperately (shudder) but they didn't stock the 300 bonus discs until today.

I ended up with
One Flew Over The Coocoo's Nest SE
Constantine SE
300 Disc
= $10.74

then came right back with the classics
The Philadelphia Story
Yankee Doodle Dandy
300 Disc
= $10.74

Awesome.

I'm thinking about double dipping on Enter The Dragon and Boogie Nights, but not sure if it's worth the repurchase. Also thought about double dipping on Heat, but will prefer to wait until it's out on HD-DVD. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.