Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Best Buy $9.99 titles - READ NOW!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 04:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
I already own the titles from the list that genuinely interest me, and I'm not really going to grab a bunch I don't need or want just because it's a good deal (or for the free ticket), but this is definitely a nice promotion for everyone!

If they'd include some of the other WB 2-disc releases next time around, I'd be more inclined to buy...
I was going to do that also, but then I decided that it was worth $5 to sample a classic oscar winner and get a $10 ticket to a movie that friends and family will enjoy.

Worse case scenario: I'll hate some of the films and make a buck or two on ebay with them.
Old 02-27-07, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kudos to the OP. Still working in Huntsville, AL. I picked up Batman, Batman Returns, True Romance, Chariots of Fire, Cuckoo's Nest, Room With a View, Amadeus, and Shawshank with 4 300 promos. Figure the Mrs. and I will go out to see it with friends.
Old 02-27-07, 04:48 PM

Just picked up the following from Best Buy Fair Lakes, VA
East of Eden: Special Edition
Rebel Without a Cause: Special Edition
Batman Returns: Special Edition
Room with a View: Special Edition
Also, 2 300 DVDs
AND
Front Mission 4 PS2 x2 for $1.99 ea.
Old 02-27-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Twin Cities folk:

As of 11 AM this worked at the Burnsville, MN location.

As of 4 PM this worked at the Brooklyn Center, MN location.

I picked up six titles at the Burnsville store sans any 300 discs and four titles at the Brooklyn Center location with two 300 discs.

Thanks to the OP and everyone who provided their valuable input in this thread.
Old 02-27-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those who plan a shopping trip to southern Minnesota/western Wisconsin stores better do so soon. Another winter storm warning has just been posted for late Wednesday through late Friday. 12-16 inches possible across the area. But the mosquitoes will be negligible.
Old 02-27-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Connecticut people, this working?
Old 02-27-07, 05:14 PM

Although I live in Rhode Island, the Dartmouth Mass. Best Buy is the closest to me. Went in there and got......
Poseidon 2disc SE
V for Vendetta 2 disc SE
My Fair Lady 2 disc SE
Yankee Doodle Dandy 2 disc SE
Chariots of Fire 2 disc SE
Giant 2 disc SE
Amadeus 2 disc SE
Citizen Kane 2 disc SE
East of Eden 2 disc SE
A Room with a View 2 disc SE
Casablanca 2 disc SE
True Romance 2 disc SE
Rebel Without a Cause 2 disc SE
and Magnolia
PLUS
13 copies of the 300 sampler (I shortchanged myself by 1 on them cause I miscounted and didn't notice till I got home)
all for the awesome price of $73.43. Before the cashier hit the final button I was freaking out cause the total so far was almost $250.00. The only annoyed person during this transaction was the associate who had to make a couple of trips to the back to get the "300" discs cause that's where they were keeping them. Plus I clued a few people into this deal while I was there and they were ecstatic about all the extra stuff they were entitled to but had no idea about it. Thanks fellow DVD Talkers for bringing this to my attention.
Old 02-27-07, 05:16 PM

Picked up Tenacious D today, along with Constantine, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby and Amadeus, along with five 300 tickets for just under 40 bucks. Awesome.
Old 02-27-07, 05:22 PM

question...

if i try this again, but it doesn't work and i later return the SE DVDs, will they require the 300 discs as a condition of return?
Old 02-27-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fire Joe Morgan
question...

if i try this again, but it doesn't work and i later return the SE DVDs, will they require the 300 discs as a condition of return?
If it doesn't work, tell them you changed your mind, don't give them your credit card and step out of line.
Old 02-27-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire Joe Morgan
question...

No, but they will probably withold or charge you $9.99.
Old 02-27-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
Connecticut people, this working?
It worked for me in Orange at around 2 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 05:48 PM

its not an error. I have a friend that works at a best buy less then a mile away. These dvd's are part of the academy hype, most have "special" UPC's on the back. Flip them over alot of a sticker over the original.

The manager told me its to dwindle down the overstock in the warner warehouse (why they didnt advertise i dont get it), and that it should end later this week. Stores doing them individually are either out of stock, or just think its an error.

Do you really think that best buy cant correct this type of error in less then 30 seconds? All of thier systems are tied together guys, they would have had it fixed days ago if it were an error.

I picked up *tons* of dvd's and tons of the 300 freebie. Do i feel bad? Nope, for the first time ever every dvd on sale is worth it.

B
Old 02-27-07, 05:54 PM

The deal is still alive and well in Charlotte, N.C. as of half an hour ago.

I picked up twelve titles yesterday and eight more today, for a total of twenty movies.

I didn't have a single problem checking out either day. All of the DVDs scanned correctly and the clerk would simply hit the BOGO discount which popped up onscreen after the sale had been totalled. They all seemed aware of the promotion.

The only DVD I had any problem finding was Heat. The slot in the $9.99 display was empty yesterday and again today.

After a sales person told me today that the 2-disc Heat was out of stock at their store, I spent some time plundering around myself and found one solitary copy of the 2-disc Heat mixed in with some other movies in the "H" section of "Drama" (a copy of the old single disc snapper was in the "Action" area).

I forgot about the 300 discs yesterday but picked up two today, one for me and one for my brother. I found them displayed on the New Release DVD row right between the WB $9.99 2-disc display and the new releases.

Picked up Monday and Tuesday:

Amadeus
Boogie Nights
Chariots of Fire
East of Eden
Enter the Dragon
Giant
GoodFellas
Heat
The Lost Boys
Magnolia
Million Dollar Baby (3-disc)
My Fair Lady
Mystic River
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Room with a View
SE7EN
The Shawshank Redemption
True Romance
V for Vendetta
Yankee Doodle Dandy

Already had:
Bullit
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Constantine
King Kong 1933 B&W SE
The Philadelphia Story
Rebel Without a Cause
Unforgiven

Has anybody seen Wolfgang Petersen's 2006 version of Poseidon (which is the one included in this sale)? The reviews I saw when it was first released were all uniformly negative.

Thanks again for posting this thread!
Old 02-27-07, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by bmvtoys
Do you really think that best buy cant correct this type of error in less then 30 seconds? All of their systems are tied together guys, they would have had it fixed days ago if it were an error.B
I would think that as well, but they way people have reported BB to be acting, and the 'memos' being sent out, it would seem to be something corp for some reason had no control over. But I think at this point, I'm inclined to go with your theory. I like it more anyway. Cheap DVD's FTW!

Although I am surprised they didn't advertise this - it's a HUGE deal. Makes me again wonder if they re trying to see what word of mouth can do - maybe see if they can cut back on some advertising? lol
Old 02-27-07, 06:02 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
You are hurting fellow customers by taking too many 300 movie tickets. A pair of tickets should be the most given to each customer so there are enough to go around. When people ebay them online (there are many ebay listings already) they are pushing others out of getting tickets.
Old 02-27-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After puchasing 6 last night, I went back at opening today and purchased:

Million Dollar Baby
Unforgiven
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Giant
Batman
Batman Returns

They had at least a couple of every title EXCEPT True Romance.

... still no 300 discs at my store though.
Old 02-27-07, 06:07 PM

Only picked up Shawshank & Heat. (and two 300 discs...)
I really wanted V and Goodfellas, but they were out.

They had shelved many of the single disc versions (like V and Goodfellas) in the slots where the SE should have been with the 9.99 pop-up tag and even had the King Kong tag in front of the P.J. SE.

(Cranberry Twp., PA btw)

Make sure you look for the 300 discs. There were a few with the New Releases but most were on the back side of a 2-sided Alexander display.

Last edited by D'ohboy; 02-27-07 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added 300 bonus info
Old 02-27-07, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not trying to bash anyone who works at BB, and I'm not trying to bitch, cause this is a great deal regardless, but I just wish the store would clue in the employees on the specials they're having. (Regarding the 300 promotion, not the B1G1F.)
I originally went in yesterday for this deal, but they didn't have the 300 discs out.

The girl at the register looked in the flyer, and said they would be put out tomorrow (today). I asked if I brought in my receipt if they'd give them to me. She said yes, but they'd have to refund the order and resell them. So I figured I'd wait, and come back today to get the movies

Got home, went back on here, and was worried they'd stop the promo. So I went back, got the DVD's I wanted, and when I went up to the register, I figured I'd bring up the 300 DVD again for the hell of it. This time, I had to talk to some other kid, who told me , "No, we put those out yesterday. Their all gone."

So I went home. Today I figured I'd call. Talked to a girl in customer service who I explained my situation to. I told her they said to bring in my receipt, and asked if I should just go to customer service and ask for them. She said yes, very unsure.

So I drive down, ask to be pointed to the 300 discs. The guy sends me to ask one of the movie workers. He brings me to them, and then tells me that they're not free if you buy a DVD. I calmly tell him it clearly states so in the flyer, and he looks in it. He says, "You get the disc, but not the movie cash." (Even though it states..FREE MOVIE CASH INCLUDED!!!) I tell him the movie cash is in the disc. He tells me to go over to customer service and see if they'll let me.

I go up to the customer service girl, who makes me repeat myself a few times, cause she clearly has no clue what I'm talking about. I tell her it's in the flyer, and she looks in and calls someone else over. He's clueless, and she finally just rings in the disc to see what happens. A receipt prints out, and she gives me the disc.
I asked her if I'd be able to get 2 more, since I bought three movies technically (didn't even try to get them for the 3 movies I got free...I wasn't trying to be greedy, but I'm going to see the movie with some friends, so might as well get them free tickets, too.) She said no, it's limit one per customer...I look in the flyer, and it doesn't say that anywhere. She said if I'd bought the movies separately, I could have done it. (Then I think to myself, "so I can return the movies and do separate orders, and get the discs?) But I didn't argue, I just said thanks and left, since I wasn't about to try to talk my way through two more discs....

So, again, sorry to make it seem like I'm bitching, but I just wish Best Buy did a better job of making their employees aware of the sales/promos their having..
Old 02-27-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Deal is still active at the Glenwood Ave store. They have not restocked titles, but I managed to find 4 more.
Old 02-27-07, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
unless you bitch to them about how much you spend and show them your reward zone card and they scan it and see your not lying. they also check for a history of no reciept returns but with this deal without a receipt it wouldnt work
I know this was a good 5 pages back, but I feel really strongly about this, "bitch to them about how much you spend". I work retail and it never sways me, only makes my resolve stronger, if someone is asking for something. I don't really care how much they spend; they don't give me anything. I will bend over backwards for nice customers but people that expect things from me or become rude usually get simply professional help by-the-book. I'm not rude back, but they sure aren't getting anything extra.
Old 02-27-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Newington, CT store works. They had mostly everything but Heat (which was the one I wanted the most!) but I got the following, all paid in GIFT CARD.

Casablanca
True Romance
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Unforgiven
Goodfellas
The Lost Boys
Mystic River
Shawshank Redemption

I came out smiling from this. I tried it on four just to be sure it worked, then it did, and went back and got more. The cashier actually started saying the price before B1G1FREE but then once she confirmed it, the deal went through. She didn't seem surprised by the deal.
Old 02-27-07, 06:41 PM

Working in Ellisville MO (near St. Louis)

No problem today at 4:30, although the stock was low on a lot of titles (including 300s). The cashier did a double take and relooked at my dvds, then shrugged and handed me the bag. I got Batman SE and Shawshank Redemption SE and 2 300 disks. Basically instead of paying $8.50/movie ticket I can pay the equivilant of $5.00/ticket and get 2 free SE dvds, plus that bonus disk which I doubt is that great.

Someone had a story about returning just the dvd that they paid for and getting to keep the free one. Wonder if that really works?

Also, for a moment I though the 300 ticket wasn't that great because the movie opens March 9 and the ticket expires 4/9/07, but eventually my education caught up with me and I realized March is only the 3rd month of the year.

I do have a question: Some have used the joke of Bestbuy charging your credit card for the free movie (which is obviously not true since it wouldn't be an authorized purchase), but that joke has to be based on some sort of reality. Did some company try and do this at some point?
Old 02-27-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lots of 300 discs, but no go on the 2-for-$9.99. Not wanting to risk embarrassment at checkout, I asked a clerk beforehand to scan them. He said they had been ringing up 2-for-$9.99 on Sunday, but it was an error that had since been fixed. Since I own all of the available titles I really want, I put everything back.
Old 02-27-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Reading through this thread, it's fitting my BB seems to be the only one in the country thinking this is an error.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.